Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning on DL for W Class (C+)..?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
And that's basically what my point was (as supported by the comment above from AS social media)....they WILL give credit for the underlying fare if you are upgraded into C+ (W class), but not if you book W directly which is why the website doesn't give an earning percentage for W--it refers specifically to the underlying fare.
Not true. IF you book into W there is a underlying V, T or whatever fare code. There is almost no scenario in which you would end up in a W fare without having an underlying fare code.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnp012001
LBJ is right, you can book a W fare with a W fare basis. You'd have to try really hard to do it! As he noted, if you select a close-in request and choose Y as your lowest fare, it will spit out a W with a W0 fare basis, which is double in price than the Q fare basis fare you'd get without forcing the Y lowest fare.

So, while it's possible to do, I don't think we'll see many AS MP members running into it!
Yes, it is possible to book into W without an underlying fare code...I'm not saying it's something that will happen very often, but it IS possible.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Well you are right, but avoiding those fares shouldn't be that tough considering how expensive they are. Unless you need it to be refundable and unwilling to pay the extra few bucks for a refundable first class ticket it doesn't seem like there is any reason to buy it.

I only checked one random flight, but a premium economy fare on DL and VS booked into X class. Might be where they do publish one very expensive fare for W class. In any case, something to watch out for, but most people aren't going to be buying W fares directly.
Upon review, I see what you are saying about VS flights (having a different underlying class). However, booking AF Premium Economy flights on delta.com seems to consistently produce W underlying fare codes.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
No Soup for You!

So ….further to my previous post (# 77), I received the following response from Mileage Plan. Anything [bold] is mine.
………………..
Hi [Frequentlander],

Thank you for contacting Alaska Airlines Customer Care and providing your
travel documents.

At this time, Delta will not award miles to your Mileage Plan account if the
flight segments are booked in Comfort + W class of service. If this impacts
your elite status this year, we can review with you in December.

Sincerely,
[Janice from Accounting]
Customer Care
Alaska Airlines
………………….

So it seems that DL are not playing nice but if it affects status AS are willing to do something if the lost points result in falling short the next status gate.

Can’t say I’m happy about this. As it happens I had pretty much no choice than to fly DL on that particular trip because of timings but loosing out on that many points sure stings a bit. I’ll pay much closer attention next time and maybe DL are going to miss out on a small slice of revenue.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:50 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
So ….further to my previous post (# 77), I received the following response from Mileage Plan. Anything [bold] is mine.
………………..
Hi [Frequentlander],

Thank you for contacting Alaska Airlines Customer Care and providing your
travel documents.

At this time, Delta will not award miles to your Mileage Plan account if the
flight segments are booked in Comfort + W class of service. If this impacts
your elite status this year, we can review with you in December.

Sincerely,
[Janice from Accounting]
Customer Care
Alaska Airlines
………………….

So it seems that DL are not playing nice but if it affects status AS are willing to do something if the lost points result in falling short the next status gate.

Can’t say I’m happy about this. As it happens I had pretty much no choice than to fly DL on that particular trip because of timings but loosing out on that many points sure stings a bit. I’ll pay much closer attention next time and maybe DL are going to miss out on a small slice of revenue.
Wow - I would call in and point them to their own site which clearly states this fare class is indeed eligible.

Curious if you could give some more details? Did you buy an upgrade to W, or select W at booking.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99
Wow - I would call in and point them to their own site which clearly states this fare class is indeed eligible.

Curious if you could give some more details? Did you buy an upgrade to W, or select W at booking.
I book through an agent. I'm self employed and the TA saves me a lot of time and effort. I ask for "premium eco" whatever airline I'm on, unless I can get a biz class fare for a reasonable price. She booked me the W fare.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If it was booked as a true W fare for example international premium economy it could truly be a W base fare vs a coach fare that happens to confirm in W due to the seat in C+ section of the Y cabin.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
If it was booked as a true W fare for example international premium economy it could truly be a W base fare vs a coach fare that happens to confirm in W due to the seat in C+ section of the Y cabin.
I think that must be the problem here...they were pretty clear that it was DL that wasn't going to allow AS mileage credit if the underlying fare was W, but it sounds like upgrades to C+ will still get credit.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think that must be the problem here...they were pretty clear that it was DL that wasn't going to allow AS mileage credit if the underlying fare was W, but it sounds like upgrades to C+ will still get credit.
If the underlying fare is W, or you get someone at AS who doesn't realize the base fare was not W like in your case. Ive tried various combinations to try to force a W as the underlying fare. So far the only true W I have found is a codeshare operated by an international partner (who has a true premium economy cabin) or a DL leg connecting to one of those. I tried some BOS-LHR operated by DL that were selling as "premium economy" instead of "Comfort+" and it was X as the underlying fare. My impression all along is the primary reason they chose W is so they had a way to sell connecting service to an international partner itin. I'm fairly certain at some point this will be pushed out to DL TPAC/TATL metal and after that to domestic.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
If the underlying fare is W, or you get someone at AS who doesn't realize the base fare was not W like in your case. Ive tried various combinations to try to force a W as the underlying fare. So far the only true W I have found is a codeshare operated by an international partner (who has a true premium economy cabin) or a DL leg connecting to one of those. I tried some BOS-LHR operated by DL that were selling as "premium economy" instead of "Comfort+" and it was X as the underlying fare. My impression all along is the primary reason they chose W is so they had a way to sell connecting service to an international partner itin. I'm fairly certain at some point this will be pushed out to DL TPAC/TATL metal and after that to domestic.
My ticket was bought on DL. Yes it was from YVR into the US so it was international but should that really make any difference? Two of the four segments were intra US. My gripe with AS is that I bought a premium fare (it certainly wasn't cheap) on one of their partners but I didn't get any MP miles value from it.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My ticket was bought on DL. Yes it was from YVR into the US so it was international but should that really make any difference? Two of the four segments were intra US. My gripe with AS is that I bought a premium fare (it certainly wasn't cheap) on one of their partners but I didn't get any MP miles value from it.
YVR to US is Comfort+ and the AS agent was just plain confused. This has nothing to do with DL "refusing" to award miles. AS miles are awarded by AS, not DL, and the chart on alaskaair.com clearly indicates this is a mileage earning flight. You need to escalate with Alaska.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:33 pm

Original Poster

Delta fare construction ...

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...structure.html

and some discussion starting in post #12 in this thread in the Delta forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...107-fares.html
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
YVR to US is Comfort+ and the AS agent was just plain confused. This has nothing to do with DL "refusing" to award miles. AS miles are awarded by AS, not DL, and the chart on alaskaair.com clearly indicates this is a mileage earning flight. You need to escalate with Alaska.
I agree. I'm a refugee from AC and I've only been flying AS consistently for 2 years so I'm not up to speed on what the best way to escalate with AS because until now it's all been quite trouble free. I already replied to their e-mail to point out that the W fare is on their redemption chart. Another suggestions are most welcome.

Anyone?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Delta fare construction ...

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...structure.html

and some discussion starting in post #12 in this thread in the Delta forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...107-fares.html
If the people in AS MP management got the programmers working on it this could be fixed quickly. Delta's notice on expansion of W/Comfort+ to international fares dates from April.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
Wholly within North America would have been a Non W base fare. I did some YVR to SEA dummy bookings 2 months advance and and they booked into X base fare. Its only what I consider true international which involves crossing an ocean or one of the poles that could book into W base fare. DL can change the meaning of some of the characters of the fare code to trick their display but the first letter is what matters for mileage earning.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If the people in AS MP management got the programmers working on it this could be fixed quickly. Delta's notice on expansion of W/Comfort+ to international fares dates from April.
I haven't really been watching the DL forums since I had been focusing on AA for Intl. So looks like this isnt actually implimented yet or is it test routes> i checked BOS-LHR and could only find C+ or Y+ for sale on itin's with overwater flight on a partner. Although sadly i was trying to see if i could find a W fare on BOS-LAX and noticed they even have Basic economy E fares on transcons.

Last edited by CDKing; Jul 30, 2016 at 8:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.