Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Is there any risk to losing the JFK-DXB leg when having them re-book the flight?
one could get cross eyed
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Is there any risk to losing the JFK-DXB leg when having them re-book the flight?
No, as long as you keep the original leg but I doubt you will get the miles back. Ask them what your options are for the onward destination. You may need to be flexible to get close to where you want to go.
Originally Posted by edgewood49
one could get cross eyed
After 2 bottles of Dom Perignon in the SEA-DXB flight and way to much to eat I pretty much was. Slept a bit in the EK F lounge in DXB during the 5 hour layover. Not the best way to spend time there, but lack of sleep enjoying the flight required it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:21 am

Here's what I'm seeing on Expert Flyer for DXB-MAD on 12/25 - does this mean there should be availability in first class on both flights when I call Alaska?

EK 141 DXB-MAD
12/25/16 7:25 AM
Flex & Saver Award/Upgrade Z Yes
Business - Flex Award O 7
Business - Saver Award & Upgrade D No
Economy - Flex Award W 9
Economy - Partner Award X 9
Economy - Saver Award N Yes

EK 143
First - Flex & Saver Award/Upgrade Z Yes
Business - Flex Award O 7
Business - Saver Award & Upgrade D Yes
Economy - Flex Award W 9
Economy - Partner Award X 9
Economy - Saver Award N Yes
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Here's what I'm seeing on Expert Flyer for DXB-MAD on 12/25 - does this mean there should be availability in first class on both flights when I call Alaska?

EK 141 DXB-MAD
12/25/16 7:25 AM
Flex & Saver Award/Upgrade Z Yes

EK 143
First - Flex & Saver Award/Upgrade Z Yes
Yes-- but whether the agent you speak with will see availability is another question if you can't see it on alaska.com. IME, it's definitely worth a couple calls to check. EF doesn't always match what's available with AS miles, unfortunately.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just flew SFO-DXB-DEL in F on a trip I booked pre devaluation. An incredible experience and I must say I will miss flying Emirates F. It's not worth paying the extra miles for me now so I'm unlikely to splurge unless it's a very special occasion. I flew Etihad A380 F on the way back, also booked AA pre devaluation, and Etihad was a disappointment in comparison. Although their Apartment seat might be a bit roomier, everything else from food & beverage to the service to the shower is far behind Emirates. It is evident they are trying to rip off EK and doing a poor job at that.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:17 am

I called Alaska, and they don't show availability.

I asked the CSR, and she said she is looking for the whole flight - JFK-DXB-MAD/LIS/BCN, rather than just the 2nd leg. She said there is no way to re-book just the second leg, whole flight would need to be rebooked.

Is that true, or should I call again?

That seems to jive with what the website says when attempting to make a change - "When making changes to an Emirates itinerary, the Change Flight or Cancel Flight tabs must be selected for all flights in that direction."
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:51 am

I called Alaska, and they don't show availability.

I asked the CSR, and she said she is looking for the whole flight - JFK-DXB-MAD/LIS/BCN, rather than just the 2nd leg. She said there is no way to re-book just the second leg, whole flight would need to be rebooked.

Is that true, or should I call again?

That seems to jive with what the website says when attempting to make a change - "When making changes to an Emirates itinerary, the Change Flight or Cancel Flight tabs must be selected for all flights in that direction."
Whole flight does not need to show availability-- agents can change it if they see availability for the second leg only... some don't/won't, though. That said, when you change it on the website, you do have to select "for all flights in that direction." This won't get rid of your JFK-DXB leg, though... so, in case you haven't already tried, try changing all flights... it'll still offer you the JFK-DXB leg in F, even if there isn't any award space there, provided it can see the second leg available.

I have switched DXB-MLE flights a couple of times in the last couple weeks online, while holding the SFO-DXB in F for 2 pax without there being a single additional SFO-DXB available in F or J for my chosen dates.

If you're working on pre-devaluation rates, though, you're going to have to go via the call center.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:32 am

Thanks! I called again and the 2nd agent was much more knowledgeable. Booked through to Madrid. Unfortunately BCN was not available, but that's ok.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:56 am

Thanks! I called again and the 2nd agent was much more knowledgeable. Booked through to Madrid. Unfortunately BCN was not available, but that's ok.
Glad it worked out. Despite what a few people on this board will tell you, I've had pretty good luck getting agents to "find" the availability to match EF. Just need to try a few times occasionally and avoid wasting time with agents who claim they can't make your desired (but available) change.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by ps9a
Glad it worked out. Despite what a few people on this board will tell you, I've had pretty good luck getting agents to "find" the availability to match EF. Just need to try a few times occasionally and avoid wasting time with agents who claim they can't make your desired (but available) change.
It all depends on who you get and their mood that day, seriously there are some really great people at the various award desk but not all are created equal.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Sorry for the cross post but I posed this question on a dead thread.

I am trying to book one way LAX-DXB-CPT in F on or near Jan 23

Expert Flyer and AS show availability but when I try and book it won't complete. Then you go back to the website and it is not available.

Any suggestions on how to book this?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sean22mac
Sorry for the cross post but I posed this question on a dead thread.

I am trying to book one way LAX-DXB-CPT in F on or near Jan 23

Expert Flyer and AS show availability but when I try and book it won't complete. Then you go back to the website and it is not available.

Any suggestions on how to book this?
Here it is, if AS does not "see it" they can not book it. Period. Some will post that you can call and recall but at the end of the day if they can not see it on their system no. Now my real suggestion is book what you can get and wait till the week before sometimes they come up then. CAUTION that route is one of the highest traveled route within the EK system, which is why they are adding new flights to JNB and CPT

Good luck.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
After several calls I was able to get 2 F LAX-DXB on Jan 23. Really weird the way it appears and you can't book it, then it disappears, then reappears and is bookable. A total mystery.

Now I just need my DXB-CPT to re-appear and be bookable for Jan 29. I guess I will do a separate booking and link them together instead of changing the original booking and risk losing the first leg.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Sean22mac
After several calls I was able to get 2 F LAX-DXB on Jan 23. Really weird the way it appears and you can't book it, then it disappears, then reappears and is bookable. A total mystery.

Now I just need my DXB-CPT to re-appear and be bookable for Jan 29. I guess I will do a separate booking and link them together instead of changing the original booking and risk losing the first leg.
Glad calling worked for you. Also, you won't risk losing the first leg by changing the original booking online-- and you'll only lose it over the phone if your agent is truly incompetent.

Separately, you can't use AS miles for itineraries that don't start/end in North America, so booking the DXB-CPT standalone won't work, unless you're using a different currency.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ps9a
Separately, you can't use AS miles for itineraries that don't start/end in North America, so booking the DXB-CPT standalone won't work, unless you're using a different currency.
It can be booked later as part of an award if OP wants to take a stopover in DXB...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.