Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hey, so I have a question for @missydarlin...

We have an upgrade waitlist for AS 1234. It has people on it (for simplicity, one MVP75K, one MVPG on an M fare, one MVP on a B fare). At T-24, Gary MVP Gold on a T fare same day changes on to AS 1234 from AS 4321.

Is Gary ahead of the MVP or behind?

Essentially, I am asking if AS is now dynamically resorting the waitlist after T-24 and any SDC based on status/fare class. Or if it's still the case that people are ADDED to the waitlist at their elite windows in fare class order, but after that (during SDC windows) it's based on when you come on because the waitlist is not resorted once people are added at upgrade windows.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

We have an upgrade waitlist for AS 1234. It has people on it (for simplicity, one MVP75K, one MVPG on an M fare, one MVP on a B fare). At T-24, Gary MVP Gold on a T fare same day changes on to AS 1234 from AS 4321.

Essentially, I am asking if AS is now dynamically resorting the waitlist after T-24 and any SDC based on status/fare class. Or if it's still the case that people are ADDED to the waitlist at their elite windows in fare class order, but after that (during SDC windows) it's based on when you come on because the waitlist is not resorted once people are added at upgrade windows.
Still ahead due to higher status
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Still ahead due to higher status
You'll pardon me if I want to actually hear someone who works at Alaska confirm that, the person who started this fine thread and promised to update it, before I take your word for it? Or are you one of @missydarlin's coworkers?

It's a significant change from post #1 if the waitlist is being continuously updated based on status/fare class inside of 24 hours (during SDCs). My understanding is MVPGs (at 72 hours) and MVPs (at 48 hours) are added to the waitlist in fare class order (then time of purchase as a tie breaker)... but the waitlist is NOT updated at 24 hours or later if an Gold or MVP wanders on to it due to SDC (they end up at the bottom in order they changed onto the flight). 75Ks are different (they bump to the top through a separate list).

But hey, I could be wrong. Which is why I asked.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 5, 2018 at 2:57 pm
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Behind.
The waitlist itself doesnt get resorted ... its the holding pen you sit in before the upgrade window opens that gets resorted. So MVP added to the waitlist at 48 hours will clear ahead of a Gold added at 24 hours while the upgrade processor is running.
However, the airport waitlist displays in tier order...so Gary will appear ahead of the MVP and any seats left when the gate agent takes over, will be assigned in tier order so Gary would clear first.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
@missydarlin

Helping out two of my friends to get upgraded with my GGUs and have never done this before. They have both booked upgradable fares tickets separately on the same flight K fare. It does not look like AS has opened the award space yet for the LAX-BWI flight. Would I need to check every day for the upgrade space to open up or is there an easier/automatic way I can do this? Also, would they stack up ahead of 75K who is not using GGUs?

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Behind.
The waitlist itself doesnt get resorted ... its the holding pen you sit in before the upgrade window opens that gets resorted. So MVP added to the waitlist at 48 hours will clear ahead of a Gold added at 24 hours while the upgrade processor is running.
However, the airport waitlist displays in tier order...so Gary will appear ahead of the MVP and any seats left when the gate agent takes over, will be assigned in tier order so Gary would clear first.
Oooh, that's very interesting! So if the upgrade processor runs between the time SDC happens (and puts a Gold on the list below an MVP) and the GA takes over, people will "clear out of order" (but that is how the upgrade processor works), but at the airport when the GA intervenes, it should be handled by tier (and I assume by fare class, then when they came on the waitlist to break ties between elites).

Thank you for clearing that up, that's very helpful at understanding the intricacies of how this all works.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:22 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jediwho
@missydarlin

Helping out two of my friends to get upgraded with my GGUs and have never done this before. They have both booked upgradable fares tickets separately on the same flight K fare. It does not look like AS has opened the award space yet for the LAX-BWI flight. Would I need to check every day for the upgrade space to open up or is there an easier/automatic way I can do this? Also, would they stack up ahead of 75K who is not using GGUs?

Thanks!
You really do need to check, or use one one of the subscription services.
Any elite with a qualifying fare is going to get cleared from the waitlist before upgrade space comes open for a GGU or Mileage award
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:56 am

Do they sometimes just not upgrade? I'm MVP Gold and I was on a flight in premium and noticed that when we took off there was an empty seat in first.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jimikim
Do they sometimes just not upgrade? I'm MVP Gold and I was on a flight in premium and noticed that when we took off there was an empty seat in first.
This is not supposed to happen. But it does sometimes, with late flights, or pax that are checked in but just don't show up in time. Sometimes the FA will get a list of pax to upgrade and this will happen once past 10K- or there could be a broken seat as well that cannot be used. Or were you on a reservation with another passenger or two? As the PNR's are not always split. Lots of factors, not limited to just these few ideas on what happened.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
This is not supposed to happen. But it does sometimes, with late flights, or pax that are checked in but just don't show up in time. Sometimes the FA will get a list of pax to upgrade and this will happen once past 10K- or there could be a broken seat as well that cannot be used. Or were you on a reservation with another passenger or two? As the PNR's are not always split. Lots of factors, not limited to just these few ideas on what happened.
I was the only one on the reservation.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Hello. Just clarifying since I'm new to AS status after a 13 year hiatus.

Traveling on a flight tomorrow with companion. Myself an MVPG75, companion a MVP. I guess we will not be ordered together on the airport upgrade list? I am listed as #3 and companion is #13

Last edited by bworrell; Apr 17, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bworrell
Hello. Just clarifying since I'm new to AS status after a 13 year hiatus.

Traveling on a flight tomorrow with companion. Myself an MVPG75, companion a MVP. I guess we will not be ordered together on the airport upgrade list? I am listed as #3 and companion is #13
Are you on the same PNR? If so, you are together. The list is notoriously incorrect...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by beckoa
Are you on the same PNR? If so, you are together. The list is notoriously incorrect...
Yes, on same PNR.

Twitter support responded a bit later and said that we would be upgraded together, and the waitlist is not true upgrade order and instead just shows status order. They explained that if they get to #3 on the list, the gate agent would see there were two people and both would be upgraded (if there was space).

I guess that's a bit troubling to me since I usually fly alone and have been looking at the waitlist regularly. If I'm #3 on the list I actually could be lower if #1 and #2 has companions.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by bworrell
I guess that's a bit troubling to me since I usually fly alone and have been looking at the waitlist regularly. If I'm #3 on the list I actually could be lower if #1 and #2 has companions.
Or you might get upgraded over #1 and #2 if only one U seat opens.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Upgrade processor is broken, and Alaska now has a new consistent, south of expected line.

"Your upgrade will clear when you check in."

U space open on Monday night's ANC to LAX flight.

$20 says I am flying coach on this flight and an MVP gets it, since they clear 24 hours out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.