Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
In my perhaps imperfect understanding, they flat out shouldn't be selling upgrades within the elite upgrade window if upgrade space is available and there are elites eligible to upgrade. That doesn't mean there aren't mistakes made (and believe me, I've experienced them). But they tend to be at the ticket counter or gate the day of flight, not a day or two in advance. Or someone sneaks in during OLCI to buy an upgrade while the upgrade processor is still chugging along to process a elite upgrade eligible batch.

I suspect the Twitter human, as nice as he/she may have been, may have also been misinformed.

And yes, an ExpertFlyer subscription is worth its weight in upgrades. (Not to mention seat alerts for better seating, and aircraft change alerts to make sure your seat still is exactly what you expected.) My unpaid endorsement of EF.
Went ahead and subscribed to EF; lo and behold - 0 U space!
Interesting that there's 0 U space even though there are plenty of seats; it makes sense they'd want to grab at least some paid upgrades before opening this up, but I always assumed upgrades would clear first.
Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by altadoc
Recently flew PDX-ABQ and back last week. Ticket was booked prior to qualifying for MVP for 2018. On my reservation clearly stated "waitlisted for first class... waitlisted for premium economy..."

While I was eventually upgraded to first, it was not automatic at 48 hours. I looked online - 8-10 first seats available - and was able to select a premium econ seat. Then 5-10 minutes later get an email about the first class upgrade clearing. This happened at +36 hours on the initial flight and +48 hours on the return flight. Not sure exactly if this was due to the ticket being purchased prior to obtaining 2018 status. It worked out in the end, just wasn't automatic as I was expecting.
After checking out EF, I'm thinking I'll have the same outcome. I flew this route last month and didn't clear at +48 hours, but I did go straight to F instead of Premium first which is what threw me off this time.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:02 pm

In my perhaps imperfect understanding, they flat out shouldn't be selling upgrades within the elite upgrade window if upgrade space is available and there are elites eligible to upgrade. That doesn't mean there aren't mistakes made (and believe me, I've experienced them). But they tend to be at the ticket counter or gate the day of flight, not a day or two in advance. Or someone sneaks in during OLCI to buy an upgrade while the upgrade processor is still chugging along to process a elite upgrade eligible batch.

I suspect the Twitter human, as nice as he/she may have been, may have also been misinformed.

And yes, an ExpertFlyer subscription is worth its weight in upgrades. (Not to mention seat alerts for better seating, and aircraft change alerts to make sure your seat still is exactly what you expected.) My unpaid endorsement of EF.
Interesting that there's 0 U space even though there are plenty of seats; it makes sense they'd want to grab at least some paid upgrades before opening this up, but I always assumed upgrades would clear first.
Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by altadoc
Recently flew PDX-ABQ and back last week. Ticket was booked prior to qualifying for MVP for 2018. On my reservation clearly stated "waitlisted for first class... waitlisted for premium economy..."

While I was eventually upgraded to first, it was not automatic at 48 hours. I looked online - 8-10 first seats available - and was able to select a premium econ seat. Then 5-10 minutes later get an email about the first class upgrade clearing. This happened at +36 hours on the initial flight and +48 hours on the return flight. Not sure exactly if this was due to the ticket being purchased prior to obtaining 2018 status. It worked out in the end, just wasn't automatic as I was expecting.
After checking out EF, I'm thinking I'll have the same outcome. I flew this route last month and didn't clear at +48 hours, but I did go straight to F instead of Premium first which is what threw me off this time.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVP
That's pretty automatic, though. Sounds like the upgrade processor cleared you into First when U space was released, which frequently happens after the upgrade window opens (not always at the same time as the upgrade window opening). Which is good when it does eventually happen, no matter when it does.
Thank you. It's my first year as MVP so I didn't know quite what to expect. Happy to have the 2 free checked bags for all my ski trips!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
MVP traveling on an award ticket with companion. Not on upgrade list.

Is it because I'm traveling with a companion or on an award ticket?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jacobguo
MVP traveling on an award ticket with companion. Not on upgrade list.

Is it because I'm traveling with a companion or on an award ticket?
the former
jacobguo likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
If on an award ticket, you can split the PNR, and then you can be on the WL. However the companion loses out on preferred seating, and 2 free checked bags.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:01 pm

I'm a bit confused at the above discussion. I'm an MVPG and have a trip coming up with my wife (non-elite). She is also listed on our PNR as "waitlisted for first class". Whether she actually shows up on the upgrade list after check-in is another story, but I assume it also means if there is U space at 72 hours out she will get upgraded along with me. Is this the case?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by oliver98
I'm a bit confused at the above discussion. I'm an MVPG and have a trip coming up with my wife (non-elite). She is also listed on our PNR as "waitlisted for first class". Whether she actually shows up on the upgrade list after check-in is another story, but I assume it also means if there is U space at 72 hours out she will get upgraded along with me. Is this the case?
Yes
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by perktd
Yes
Assuming there are 2 U spaces available.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
So does this mean the people already upgraded to PC are ahead of the people waiting for first but not upgraded to PC or is there no way to tell?

Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
The way I understand it there are two wait lists, one for PC and another for F. If you are upgraded to PC you keep your place on the F list. Both lists are sorted by status then fare class then time on the list.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by radumbo
Thanks for your help!

What the person might have meant about paid upgrades is P fares, which are technically economy fares with an instant upgrade. The downside is that if your flight goes south, you are behind and paid F on the priority list when rebooking. That said, I've had exactly 1 P fare go south in the last two years, on American. I did re-clear into F but it was a battlefield.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by makfan
What the person might have meant about paid upgrades is P fares, which are technically economy fares with an instant upgrade. The downside is that if your flight goes south, you are behind and paid F on the priority list when rebooking. That said, I've had exactly 1 P fare go south in the last two years, on American. I did re-clear into F but it was a battlefield.
Huh, interesting. I didn't realize P fares on AS were actually instant Y-ups.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by makfan
I don' think that's accurate for AS (maybe on other airlines). I'm pretty sure P is discounted First, but a true First, not upgraded.
PABE likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Yes P is discounted F. Here is the table for instant upgrades

-----------------------------------------------------------------------MVP -----------------MVP Gold --------------------------------------------MVP Gold 75K
First Class upgrades³ at the time of booking. ------Y, S, or Z* fares ------Y, S, B, M, or Z* fares ----------------------------Y, S, B, M, H or Z* fares
Premium Class upgrades at the time of booking.--Y, S, B, or Z* fares-- Y, S, B, M, H, Q, L, V, N, K, or Z* fares ------All fares
LWkitty likes this.

Last edited by drewcwsj; Jan 18, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.