Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Baze

75k. Just checked. No U space available and someone must have cancelled or changed as 4 seats available now. But still no U.
Sounds like an aircraft swap in your favor.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Sounds like an aircraft swap in your favor.
seat map still shows 3 rows. Just 4 seats empty now instead of 3.

Is is there a way to look at inventory being sold? On UA we could enable expert mode and see all the buckets and how many they were selling for each bucket.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Baze
Is is there a way to look at inventory being sold? On UA we could enable expert mode and see all the buckets and how many they were selling for each bucket.
Increase the number of seats up to 7? Other than that, or using something like EF or GDS access that shows buckets, I don't think there's a way on the website.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:45 am

I'm pretty new (MVP) to this upgrade stuff but I have an upcoming flight where I'm "Waitlisted for First Class." There are plenty of FC seats available but I also have a second passenger on my reservation. I understand I'll be skipped over for solo travelers, which is understandable. In previous posts, I've seen folks reference the actual number of U seats that are available. How do you check that? Also, if I don't get FC, do I get thrown into a pool for a PC upgrade?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kenbo
I'm pretty new (MVP) to this upgrade stuff but I have an upcoming flight where I'm "Waitlisted for First Class." There are plenty of FC seats available but I also have a second passenger on my reservation. I understand I'll be skipped over for solo travelers, which is understandable. In previous posts, I've seen folks reference the actual number of U seats that are available. How do you check that? Also, if I don't get FC, do I get thrown into a pool for a PC upgrade?
If you search the reservation on AS's website and the "F" square is blue, there are upgrade seats available. As an MVP you're eligible to be bumped at 48 hours from boarding. If the F is blue in a white square, there are no upgrades available (yet).
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Its my understanding that you should be able to self-upgrade into PC once you're in the window. So my recommendation is to check just under the 48 hour mark, and then call res if you don't have luck.
You will not automatically be moved if you're in the exit row.
I tend to not drink much on planes, so I'd book the exit row and be happy to stay there, vs book a non exit in hopes to get into PC.

As for calling vs emailing mileage plan ... I'd take the opposite tack and call reservations first. Thats a pretty generic email address, so depending on the backlog, it could be a while before they get back to you.

Thanks for the reply and advice!

Called the MVP line and the agent was quickly able to get me on both the FC and PE waitlists.

Any idea why this doesn't happen automatically?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
If you search the reservation on AS's website and the "F" square is blue, there are upgrade seats available. As an MVP you're eligible to be bumped at 48 hours from boarding. If the F is blue in a white square, there are no upgrades available (yet).
Thanks. I've seen that, but is there a way to check the actual number of U seats available? I've seen other posts where people reference X number of FC seats but only Y number of those seats are designated U.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thanks. I've seen that, but is there a way to check the actual number of U seats available? I've seen other posts where people reference X number of FC seats but only Y number of those seats are designated U.
two options - dummy bookings checking for paid F and upgradeable F inventory - increase the # of passengers 1 by one until upgradeable space goes from "available" to "unavailable"...when it does, you know U. same strategy for paid F.

option 2 - costs money, but much less painful, sign up for expert flyer pro account and search for U space and F space directly. AS caps inventory visibility at 7 versus 9 for other airlines like UA, so expert flyer saying "F7" means that at least 7 F seats are available for purchase, whereas F6 means exactly 6.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Is the second passenger on the reservation also an MVP or higher? If not, then it doesn't matter how many U seats are available. You will not be upgraded unless you first call in and have the PNR split. And if you are on a Companion fare, then it also won't happen plus you cannot split the res.
pfpdx likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
two options - dummy bookings checking for paid F and upgradeable F inventory - increase the # of passengers 1 by one until upgradeable space goes from "available" to "unavailable"...when it does, you know U. same strategy for paid F.

option 2 - costs money, but much less painful, sign up for expert flyer pro account and search for U space and F space directly. AS caps inventory visibility at 7 versus 9 for other airlines like UA, so expert flyer saying "F7" means that at least 7 F seats are available for purchase, whereas F6 means exactly 6.
Thanks for the explanation.

Originally Posted by Finkface
Is the second passenger on the reservation also an MVP or higher? If not, then it doesn't matter how many U seats are available. You will not be upgraded unless you first call in and have the PNR split. And if you are on a Companion fare, then it also won't happen plus you cannot split the res.
Hmmm...good to know. I won't be able to split the reservation since my second passenger is a minor. Is it normal for AS to show a second, non-elite passenger also as "Waitlisted for FC?" Is an upgrade into PC still an option or do the same principles apply?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Finkface

I was just about to ask about this situation. I am an MVP and she is just general. So it won't be auto-upgraded.

But if U opened and I am in Y. Could I call and upgrade just me and then if there was another U spot, use miles for her?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Thanks for the explanation.

Hmmm...good to know. I won't be able to split the reservation since my second passenger is a minor. Is it normal for AS to show a second, non-elite passenger also as "Waitlisted for FC?" Is an upgrade into PC still an option or do the same principles apply?
I’ve had success splitting reservations involving a minor. Pay for the upgrade for them and then the MVP gets the complimentary upgrade. Some risk involved in doing that because if the timing isn’t right one of you could get the upgrade and not the other.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by pfpdx
I was just about to ask about this situation. I am an MVP and she is just general. So it won't be auto-upgraded.

But if U opened and I am in Y. Could I call and upgrade just me and then if there was another U spot, use miles for her?
probably, but you’d have to split the reservations. They’d lose the free checked bag etc. you’d want to make sure that there is sufficient upgrade space available before you started the process. Do a dummy booking on th AS website ore visit expertflyer.com
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: AS MVP
I am on a flight TPA-SEA tomorrow that is showing U3, but we haven’t been upgraded yet. Called in, and the agent said “nope, MVP’s are only eligible for upgrades within 24 hours”... tried to tell him that isn’t true, but he wasn’t buying it. Said he “looked it up”...

My question: If the flight is showing U3, shouldn’t that mean that people should be auto-upgraded into those seats since we are within the UG window? If no one else has taken them, then wouldn’t that mean we are at the top of the list?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by treinhard
I am on a flight TPA-SEA tomorrow that is showing U3, but we haven’t been upgraded yet. Called in, and the agent said “nope, MVP’s are only eligible for upgrades within 24 hours”... tried to tell him that isn’t true, but he wasn’t buying it. Said he “looked it up”...

My question: If the flight is showing U3, shouldn’t that mean that people should be auto-upgraded into those seats since we are within the UG window? If no one else has taken them, then wouldn’t that mean we are at the top of the list?
Hang up. Call Again (HUCA). Might also reach out via Twitter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.