Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Finkface
Is the second passenger on the reservation also an MVP or higher? If not, then it doesn't matter how many U seats are available. You will not be upgraded unless you first call in and have the PNR split. And if you are on a Companion fare, then it also won't happen plus you cannot split the res.
I believe the upgrade processor will still skip over more than 1 person for an MVP upgrade, even if both pax are MVP.

Originally Posted by pfpdx
I was just about to ask about this situation. I am an MVP and she is just general. So it won't be auto-upgraded.

But if U opened and I am in Y. Could I call and upgrade just me and then if there was another U spot, use miles for her?
Maybe?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25378677-post30.html
It can be done for MVP instant upgrade. Inside of the MVP upgrade window with U2 or more and no one above you on the upgrade list, it seems like it should also be able to be done in the same manner.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Traveling on companion fare, primary passenger shows #1 on gate list. Companion doesn't appear. Problem?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Traveling on companion fare, primary passenger shows #1 on gate list. Companion doesn't appear. Problem?
I've run into this twice in the last few months when traveling with my spouse.

When I asked the gate agent why only my name showed on the first class upgrade list and not my spouse as well (we were on the same reservation, both showed waitlisted for first in the reservations, and I'm Gold), she showed me the display screen that staff sees at the gate which indicates that it's a party of two next to the one primary passenger name. The public gate display does not show that detail.

I was told it wasn't a problem, but then again, I wasn't upgraded so I can't confirm everything would work as expected. However, this appears to be new behavior for upgrade displays in the past year. It's not ideal from a clarity standpoint.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I've run into this twice in the last few months when traveling with my spouse.

When I asked the gate agent why only my name showed on the first class upgrade list and not my spouse as well (we were on the same reservation, both showed waitlisted for first in the reservations, and I'm Gold), she showed me the display screen that staff sees at the gate which indicates that it's a party of two next to the one primary passenger name. The public gate display does not show that detail.

I was told it wasn't a problem, but then again, I wasn't upgraded so I can't confirm everything would work as expected. However, this appears to be new behavior for upgrade displays in the past year. It's not ideal from a clarity standpoint.
thanks! I'll see what they say when we reach our connection airport. Agents at the origin couldn't help.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
I'm trying to get a gauge for how many elites fly the PDX-MCO route. When I look at the waitlist for a flight the week before does the waitlist show ALL elite comp upgrades? Or does it hide some of them?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfpdx
I'm trying to get a gauge for how many elites fly the PDX-MCO route. When I look at the waitlist for a flight the week before does the waitlist show ALL elite comp upgrades? Or does it hide some of them?
I don't think it shows upgrades that occur before check in, such as 75k/MVPG/MVP that are upgraded at their respective eligibility windows.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I don't think it shows upgrades that occur before check in, such as 75k/MVPG/MVP that are upgraded at their respective eligibility windows.
That is what I figured. At the 5 day mark for the flight a week before I noticed U opened up and then all the seats went away.

Is there a typical amount of non-U space Alaska keeps around? at least one seat available for purchase until day of I imagine?

Last edited by pfpdx; Jan 10, 2018 at 2:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:40 pm

Hey y'all, question on upgrade order:
I'm an MVP with a flight on 1/12 (within 48hours). I was upgraded to Premium Class but ExpertFlyer is showing 8 seats available in F and a dummy booking on the AS website shows the same 8 seats as available. When I reached out to the Twitter team, they told me seats were being held for paid upgrades for other customers. I thought 75k/MVPG/MVP upgrades we're cleared first, then paid upgrades? I've only been MVP since end of year last year, so I'm still new to the process

Edit - checked for GGU availability and it shows as 1 seat left, so I'm assuming there's at least 1 space in U, but still no dice on the upgrade

Last edited by radumbo; Jan 10, 2018 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Did you call in?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by radumbo
Hey y'all, question on upgrade order:
I'm an MVP with a flight on 1/12 (within 48hours). I was upgraded to Premium Class but ExpertFlyer is showing 8 seats available in F and a dummy booking on the AS website shows the same 8 seats as available. When I reached out to the Twitter team, they told me seats were being held for paid upgrades for other customers. I thought 75k/MVPG/MVP upgrades we're cleared first, then paid upgrades? I've only been MVP since end of year last year, so I'm still new to the process

Edit - checked for GGU availability and it shows as 1 seat left, so I'm assuming there's at least 1 space in U, but still no dice on the upgrade
If they didn't show as available in U class specifically, then they weren't available for upgrades at all. They need to be released into U space, no matter how many empty seats remain in F even 48 hours out.

I'm just guessing, but is it possible that the Twitter team meant they were being held for paid purchases, and not upgrades? It's pretty typical that on some routes, F isn't released into U until the last minute because AS wants to sell the seats.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Did you call in?
That's on the to-do list as soon as I get the chance

If they didn't show as available in U class specifically, then they weren't available for upgrades at all. They need to be released into U space, no matter how many empty seats remain in F even 48 hours out.

I'm just guessing, but is it possible that the Twitter team meant they were being held for paid purchases, and not upgrades? It's pretty typical that on some routes, F isn't released into U until the last minute because AS wants to sell the seats.
Understood about U space. I guess a subscription to EF will be useful now (my last check was just checking via seat alert). As for the purchase - the rep specifically said it's for customers "choosing to pay for an upgrade before the flight". I'm guessing that if there's no U space, this might be where they "pull" it from?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:34 pm

Understood about U space. I guess a subscription to EF will be useful now (my last check was just checking via seat alert). As for the purchase - the rep specifically said it's for customers "choosing to pay for an upgrade before the flight". I'm guessing that if there's no U space, this might be where they "pull" it from?
In my perhaps imperfect understanding, they flat out shouldn't be selling upgrades within the elite upgrade window if upgrade space is available and there are elites eligible to upgrade. That doesn't mean there aren't mistakes made (and believe me, I've experienced them). But they tend to be at the ticket counter or gate the day of flight, not a day or two in advance. Or someone sneaks in during OLCI to buy an upgrade while the upgrade processor is still chugging along to process a elite upgrade eligible batch.

I suspect the Twitter human, as nice as he/she may have been, may have also been misinformed.

And yes, an ExpertFlyer subscription is worth its weight in upgrades. (Not to mention seat alerts for better seating, and aircraft change alerts to make sure your seat still is exactly what you expected.) My unpaid endorsement of EF.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP
That's on the to-do list as soon as I get the chance

Recently flew PDX-ABQ and back last week. Ticket was booked prior to qualifying for MVP for 2018. On my reservation clearly stated "waitlisted for first class... waitlisted for premium economy..."

While I was eventually upgraded to first, it was not automatic at 48 hours. I looked online - 8-10 first seats available - and was able to select a premium econ seat. Then 5-10 minutes later get an email about the first class upgrade clearing. This happened at +36 hours on the initial flight and +48 hours on the return flight. Not sure exactly if this was due to the ticket being purchased prior to obtaining 2018 status. It worked out in the end, just wasn't automatic as I was expecting.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by altadoc
Recently flew PDX-ABQ and back last week. Ticket was booked prior to qualifying for MVP for 2018. On my reservation clearly stated "waitlisted for first class... waitlisted for premium economy..."

While I was eventually upgraded to first, it was not automatic at 48 hours. I looked online - 8-10 first seats available - and was able to select a premium econ seat. Then 5-10 minutes later get an email about the first class upgrade clearing. This happened at +36 hours on the initial flight and +48 hours on the return flight. Not sure exactly if this was due to the ticket being purchased prior to obtaining 2018 status. It worked out in the end, just wasn't automatic as I was expecting.
That's pretty automatic, though. Sounds like the upgrade processor cleared you into First when U space was released, which frequently happens after the upgrade window opens (not always at the same time as the upgrade window opening). Which is good when it does eventually happen, no matter when it does.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:49 pm

In my perhaps imperfect understanding, they flat out shouldn't be selling upgrades within the elite upgrade window if upgrade space is available and there are elites eligible to upgrade. That doesn't mean there aren't mistakes made (and believe me, I've experienced them). But they tend to be at the ticket counter or gate the day of flight, not a day or two in advance. Or someone sneaks in during OLCI to buy an upgrade while the upgrade processor is still chugging along to process a elite upgrade eligible batch.

I suspect the Twitter human, as nice as he/she may have been, may have also been misinformed.

And yes, an ExpertFlyer subscription is worth its weight in upgrades. (Not to mention seat alerts for better seating, and aircraft change alerts to make sure your seat still is exactly what you expected.) My unpaid endorsement of EF.
Went ahead and subscribed to EF; lo and behold - 0 U space!
Interesting that there's 0 U space even though there are plenty of seats; it makes sense they'd want to grab at least some paid upgrades before opening this up, but I always assumed upgrades would clear first.
Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by altadoc

​​​​​​​
After checking out EF, I'm thinking I'll have the same outcome. I flew this route last month and didn't clear at +48 hours, but I did go straight to F instead of Premium first which is what threw me off this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.