Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Decent overview, although the seat map analysis is a little bit off. PC is available to anyone paying, which is a bit more valuable on longer haul routes imo. I’d still use to judge elite numbers but something to keep in mind.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Decent overview, although the seat map analysis is a little bit off. PC is available to anyone paying, which is a bit more valuable on longer haul routes imo. I’d still use to judge elite numbers but something to keep in mind.
I too look at how many exit row seats and PC seats are taken when looking for flights, but not just for odds of being UG. I want to ensure I have a decent seat if I do not get the UG. Sometimes, I have a choice of days to fly and work (ie fly Sunday night, work Monday with return on Monday or possibly Tuesday, or fly Tuesday, work Wednesday, etc) and compare my best seat options and flight times before scheduling my actual work days and contrast with what I think my UG chances are. Ironically, the one flight where it does not matter how late I book is SEA EAT...on the Q400, where it truly does not matter what seat I sit in, just that there is an open seat.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctporter

[...]

Ironically, the one flight where it does not matter how late I book is SEA EAT...on the Q400, where it truly does not matter what seat I sit in, just that there is an open seat.
I am still waiting for a Wenatchee to Fresno non-stop. It would be cool to have a boarding pass for EAT-FAT.

James
Eujeanie and ctporter like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I do have (and have saved) an AS boarding pass with the confirmation code CHEAPO.

Guilty.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Robt760
Is post #1 still reflecting the current “How it works” for upgrades ?

That's a question for @missydarlin. She can update her post if there have been changes.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
And if so, can we get it as a sticky, with the first post made a wiki?
Sticky fatigue is a real thing, and anecdotal evidence pretty clearly shows that most people completely skip over stickies (so making something sticky effectively hides it), so across FlyerTalk, moderators try to minimize the number of stickied threads. Some forums have done well with making an index of "useful threads" sticky; I attempted to launch something like that years ago, but it never really took off. If someone wants to resurrect it, go for it! It's here (and still stickied): Alaska Airlines FAQ and Thread Index (WORK IN PROGRESS) -- Wiki Needs YOUR Help!.

As for the wiki, anyone can make one (it doesn't require a moderator). If @missydarlin's post is out of date, she can either update her post or grant permission to copy her (technically copyrighted work) into a wiki so the modifications can be crowdsourced.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:31 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I've edited my original post with the Cliffs notes version, but with the addition of PC and Saver, its really best to refer to the alaskaair.com link for a more thorough explanation.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS 75k
The airport list may be wrong, but what about the Alaska app?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Well this has never happened to me before.

Just made a reservation...and I mean just...for next July, and when the confirmation hit my e-mail we had already been upgraded to Premium Class. No U space available when I made the reservation.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

U has nothing to do with premium class -- U is space for first class upgrades.

Perhaps you bought a fare that allowed for immediate selection of premium seats?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:47 pm

My fare bucket on that segment was K. I'm not savvy as to what is or is not immediately upgradeable.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I certainly don't memorize them, but I don't need to: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ss-upgrades#pc

K gives instant premium cabin selection for MVPG and 75k.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I certainly don't memorize them, but I don't need to: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ss-upgrades#pc

K gives instant premium cabin selection for MVPG and 75k.
Ok, that's good to know...so that's what happened.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Ok, that's good to know...so that's what happened.
K class is also the lowest eligible fare to upgrade into F with a GGU. If you have GGUs you can monitor for U availability and should U space open up you can call AS to upgrade you with the GGU.

Also keep in mind that anyone, whether they have status or not, can use a GGU on a K fare if they are gifted the upgrade instrument. As long as there is U availability of course.

James
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
The airport list may be wrong, but what about the Alaska app?
It's also not reliable, in my experience. Only the list the gate agent can see is the source of truth about upgrade order.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
MVP75K with companion flying 12/18 BNA SFO OGG. 1st leg has 4F, 2nd leg has 8F seats available. I purchased revenue fares and selected premium seats and waitlisted since no U then. Am I really boned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.