Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by sturges
Do both get the same number of FAs? I could be totally wrong, but for some reason I thought AS sent an extra FA on 739 equipment. Though looking at FAR 121.391, it isn't required.
Both types require 4 F/As.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
700 has one less FA

Originally Posted by sturges
Do both get the same number of FAs? I could be totally wrong, but for some reason I thought AS sent an extra FA on 739 equipment. Though looking at FAR 121.391, it isn't required.
The 700's have one fewer flight attendant. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Got swapped from a 700 to 900 a couple months ago when it went mechanical, and a new standby FA showed up at the gate as the original crew was xfering over.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:28 pm

I went from MVP->MVPG yesterday.
The mobile app shows the new MVPG. however, my next 3 bookings (all with MVP companion) still shows me as wait listed as MVP.
Would you suggest I call in and ask them to manually move me to the MVPG bucket?
Old May 13, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
The mobile app shows the new MVPG. however, my next 3 bookings (all with MVP companion) still shows me as wait listed as MVP.
Would you suggest I call in and ask them to manually move me to the MVPG bucket?
It takes a few days. Your status has not fully propagated. They will just ask you to wait.

If you earn fewer miles, or pay a fee that you should not pay because your status had not updated, you can contact customer care for a refund, or for the additional miles.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
If your next itinerary is near, you can call AS and ask them to "refresh" the reservation. They do that by removing and re-adding you MP # which should pull your new Elite Status from your profile. If your itineraries are still a ways off, just give it a few days for your new status to propogate into your existing reservations as @VegasGambler suggested. Since your new Status (congratulations) is already updated in your profile, you are not at risk of not getting the 100% Elite RDM Bonus. Some have reported not getting the increased Elite bonus when they have achieved the next tier but it hasn't yet updated in their profile prior to their next flight.

James
Old May 21, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
New one for me with regard to upgrade list for a trip today. The app showed the option to view the waitlist a day earlier than expected (it actually confused me that I may have booked my flight for the wrong day). Even after checking in, the app waitlist remains empty for both upgrades and seat assignments. I texted AS to have me removed and readded to ensure I wouldn't miss an upgrade, but she advised she could see me on the waitlist. I checked the flight status list on the website and I am showing there. I've not seen the lists look different between the app and the site.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
New one for me with regard to upgrade list for a trip today. The app showed the option to view the waitlist a day earlier than expected (it actually confused me that I may have booked my flight for the wrong day). Even after checking in, the app waitlist remains empty for both upgrades and seat assignments. I texted AS to have me removed and readded to ensure I wouldn't miss an upgrade, but she advised she could see me on the waitlist. I checked the flight status list on the website and I am showing there. I've not seen the lists look different between the app and the site.
In my recent experience the app (on Android at least) has had a lot of issues with caching old information, even after I hit the refresh button multiple times. So I'm never too alarmed when the app acts weird as long as customer care or the website show correct info.
Seeing the waitlist early is a new one though.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I just booked a trip with a non-status companion. I know they won't get added to the upgrade wait list, but I was surprised when I didn't see 'premium & first upgrade wait listed' under my name. I called in and they said I must not have checked that option. I did another dummy booking and still didn't see this option. Any idea what I'm missing?
Old May 21, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I just booked a trip with a non-status companion. I know they won't get added to the upgrade wait list, but I was surprised when I didn't see 'premium & first upgrade wait listed' under my name. I called in and they said I must not have checked that option. I did another dummy booking and still didn't see this option. Any idea what I'm missing?
Are you both on the same itinerary? That could be the problem, assuming you are MVP.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Are you both on the same itinerary? That could be the problem.
Yes, and I told them that. I assumed it wouldn't add me since they aren't eligible, however, the phone rep was adamant that I had not checked this option and that it should have added me automatically.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Phone rep is mistaken I believe... if you are MVP and you book with someone on your itinerary, you won't be added to the upgrade wait-list because both people cannot be upgraded.

Similarly as an MVPG, if I book with 2 companions my itinerary is not upgrade eligible since I can only upgrade with 1 companion on my itinerary.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yes, and I told them that. I assumed it wouldn't add me since they aren't eligible, however, the phone rep was adamant that I had not checked this option and that it should have added me automatically.
The agent was wrong.

People on the same PNR are upgraded all together or not at all. When booking as MVP, your companion is not eligible, so you are not eligible.

If you want a chance to get upgraded and leave your companion in coach, book separately. The GA can also split the PNR, but you may have missed out by then.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Well as far as I know an MVP on an itinerary with a non-status person won't get added to the waitlist for upgrades. Maybe split the itinerary? Anyone have a better idea?

ETA: VegasGambler and nearlysober (??) beat me to it. Good advice.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Well as far as I know an MVP on an itinerary with a non-status person won't get added to the waitlist for upgrades. Maybe split the itinerary? Anyone have a better idea?

ETA: VegasGambler and nearlysober (??) beat me to it. Good advice.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The agent was wrong.

People on the same PNR are upgraded all together or not at all. When booking as MVP, your companion is not eligible, so you are not eligible.

If you want a chance to get upgraded and leave your companion in coach, book separately. The GA can also split the PNR, but you may have missed out by then.
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Phone rep is mistaken I believe... if you are MVP and you book with someone on your itinerary, you won't be added to the upgrade wait-list because both people cannot be upgraded.

Similarly as an MVPG, if I book with 2 companions my itinerary is not upgrade eligible since I can only upgrade with 1 companion on my itinerary.
Reservations has confirmed that all 3 of you are correct, thanks! This was my first time doing this. I'm not super happy though because when I called the MVP line, they took about 20 seconds to do something on the computer and told me I was all taken care of and that I was added. I would have preferred if they would have just transferred me to reservations or told me they couldn't help rather than straight up lie...
Old May 21, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by sudobuntu
In my recent experience the app (on Android at least) has had a lot of issues with caching old information, even after I hit the refresh button multiple times. So I'm never too alarmed when the app acts weird as long as customer care or the website show correct info.
Seeing the waitlist early is a new one though.
We prioritize mobile app dev for iphones, not android. And no I ain't throwing shade here like we got anything against droid because they are so ratchet AF and iphones be dank, it's cuz majority of AS customers use iphones. And we're in good company too bro. Most airlines do same. Best advice get an iphone.
williwaw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.