Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If I'm MVP and my traveling partner on the same itinerary has no status then what happens? They won't get upgraded to even Premium with me, right? Could I get put into Premium or first while they get left behind in the original seats--do I need to decline both upgrade lists if I want to make sure I sit with them?
As stated above, no further action is needed if you want to sit with them.

If you want to be eligible for an upgrade to PC or F, all you need to do is call reservations and have the reservations split.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Upgrade tonight from EWR to SJC was very interesting. Always ranked first on the list and two phone agents kept telling me I was the last one.

Then approximately T-2 (the time I recently found a lot of upgrades cleared at that time), I saw the name right after me disappeared, and the last seat in F got filled nearly at the same time. So there are many possibilities, maybe he/she did a buy-up to secure F, though I think it is not unreasonable to assume that the upgrade processor broken?

Hopefully the PC seat I had still has the middle seat empty till the boarding time (in 45 minutes)..
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:43 am

If I have 2 75k members travelling on same PNR should I call to split the reservation for better upgrade chances? Twitter agents say it doesn’t make a difference but if only one upgrade opens it would skip us right unless we split?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by olouie
If I have 2 75k members travelling on same PNR should I call to split the reservation for better upgrade chances? Twitter agents say it doesn’t make a difference but if only one upgrade opens it would skip us right unless we split?
Yes, two U need to open up. You both will be passed up for next single upgrade. This is why I always book us on separate PNR’s when flying. Sometimes only one of us gets the upgrade. You can call MVP line and ask for the split.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Ran into an odd one regarding upgrades. My wife and I are both MVP. We travel together several times each year and have noticed when we're on the same reservation we a) can't pick premium seating without being charged at T-48 and b) don't upgrade into first even when the plane departs with several empty seats up front. After investigating the issue with Twitter and phone agents, both said that because of a longstanding IT glitch this year, having two MVPs on the same PNR cancel each other out and it's as if no one has status. It's a strange problem -- compounded by the nonchalant response about it by the agents.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any workarounds beyond splitting up existing reservations?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by wiffle
Ran into an odd one regarding upgrades. My wife and I are both MVP. We travel together several times each year and have noticed when we're on the same reservation we a) can't pick premium seating without being charged at T-48 and b) don't upgrade into first even when the plane departs with several empty seats up front. After investigating the issue with Twitter and phone agents, both said that because of a longstanding IT glitch this year, having two MVPs on the same PNR cancel each other out and it's as if no one has status. It's a strange problem -- compounded by the nonchalant response about it by the agents.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any workarounds beyond splitting up existing reservations?
MVP is not entitled to companion upgrade for premium/first class. The system probably automatically skips you.

The only solution so far is to split the PNR.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by cloudybw
MVP is not entitled to companion upgrade for premium/first class. The system probably automatically skips you.

The only solution so far is to split the PNR.
But they are both MVP so it’s very strange issue indeed.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Yeah, the issue is we're both MVPs.

The PNR can't be split this time since we're on a companion fare ticket.

An odd situation all the way around -- and even odder it's a known issue to the agents, but one they don't seem empowered to address.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
But they are both MVP so it’s very strange issue indeed.
It isn't an issue at all. An MVP with one companion on the same PNR is not eligible for an upgrade nor can the MVP select premium seating at their window just like an MVPG+ is not eligible when there is more than one companion on the PNR. It is clearly outlined on the AS website. You will not be waitlisted for an upgrade to F. Only MVPG+ are eligible for upgrades & premium seating at their window when they have one & only one companion on the same PNR. Note that MVPG can select Premium at booking on a K class fare or higher and MVPG75K can select Premium at booking on any non-Saver (X) fare.

If an MVP is on the same PNR as an MVPG+ then it is the status of the MVPG+ that allows the upgrades & Premium, not the Status of the MVP.

When two MVPs are on the same PNR, in essence, they do cancel each other out since neither is eligible for the benefits as they can't extend them to the other. This isn't an IT glitch. Each MVP should be on their own PNR to maintain their "sole" benefits. If you are using a companion certificate you have to decide which is more benefitial.

F seats should never go out empty with Elites in Main. While the IT and T&Cs prevent you from being on the waitlist, it never hurts to speak to the gate agents especially if upgrades are offered for sale. They can & will split PNRs to accommodate. There are also datapoints of gate agents splitting PNRs with a companion certificate attached.

James

How do First Class companion upgrades work?

MVP Gold and Gold 75K members may upgrade one companion traveling with them on the same flight, in the same reservation and in the same class of service. If a reservation includes more than one companion, it will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades.

How do Premium Class companion upgrades work?

MVP® Gold and Gold 75K members may upgrade one companion traveling with them on the same flight, in the same reservation and in the same class of service. If a reservation includes more than one companion, it will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades. MVP® members receive upgrades for themselves only - no companions.
brizone and mildfrequence like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:42 pm

I mean I guess that's the way its supposed to work, just a very strange way to handle loyalty and status passengers. But I guess no one ever said AS had great IT or logical thinking haha.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
New to MVP Gold (new travel requirements for work) and have an upcoming trip with a companion without status. I’m hoping to get us both upgraded (on SFO-ORD, almost always get upgraded due to low elite levels) but wasn’t sure how it works - do I get my normal first class waitlist placement (due to booking time, status, etc) with one companion attached? I know there needs to be 2 spots for us to be upgraded, but I’ve been 1 or 2 on waitlist a couple times and wanted to see if that’s how it is w companion too or if you’re for some reason put lower.

thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by whitf00t
New to MVP Gold (new travel requirements for work) and have an upcoming trip with a companion without status. I’m hoping to get us both upgraded (on SFO-ORD, almost always get upgraded due to low elite levels) but wasn’t sure how it works - do I get my normal first class waitlist placement (due to booking time, status, etc) with one companion attached? I know there needs to be 2 spots for us to be upgraded, but I’ve been 1 or 2 on waitlist a couple times and wanted to see if that’s how it is w companion too or if you’re for some reason put lower.

thanks!
Same priority, just with a +1 attached. As you note, that may mean you're skipped so it may feel "lower priority" if U is trickled out 1 by 1, but otherwise no difference.
whitf00t likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:02 pm

I’m a MVP traveling with 2 others next month. I booked us together in a refundable/elite row 17. Noticed today that we were switched to row 7, premium. I didn’t think they upgraded MVPs with their companions if they weren’t MVPs also? Secretly hoping to be upgraded again to FC. I know, wishful thinking
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
MVPG upgrading into PC - is it true the window opens within the app to select a premium class seat the a midnight of the day 72 hours before departure? I.E. departure at 5 pm on a Friday, PC select seat availability starts at midnight Tuesday morning?

have always watched like a hawk at 72 hours but never thought to check before and heard this rumor.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by whitf00t
MVPG upgrading into PC - is it true the window opens within the app to select a premium class seat the a midnight of the day 72 hours before departure? I.E. departure at 5 pm on a Friday, PC select seat availability starts at midnight Tuesday morning?

have always watched like a hawk at 72 hours but never thought to check before and heard this rumor.
The midnight trick worked for a while, but this year it was "fixed" and the 72/48 hour window is now the one that works now.

Last edited by williwaw; Dec 26, 2019 at 6:27 pm Reason: Corrected the MVP window opening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.