Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtwgal
How do upgrades to premium economy work? My husband and I have MVP status. We have had to call Alaska for the past few flights and ask them to move us to PE in the upgrade window to avoid paying the PE upgrade fees (we do not book saver fares). They said they didn’t know why we couldn’t do it ourselves in the app for $0. Currently we are scheduled to fly in less than 48 hours. The seat map shows a lot of open seats on the flight including 6 in first class, 12 in premium economy and only 4 seats are booked in the elite status section (2 of those are us). I don’t understand why I am unable to select 2 premium economy seats for $0 in the mobile or PC application.
Just to be pedantic a bit: AS does not have premium economy. "Premium" is equivalent to other airlines' "main cabin extra" / "economy plus" / "comfort+". That is, an economy seat with extra legroom and perhaps free food and/or drinks. But you are still in the economy cabin, in an identical seat. "Premium economy" generally refers to a higher class of service in a different cabin, with wider seats, extra recline, footrests, etc.

There is a bug in the AS app where it will sometimes show a seat selection fee when none is due. But when you select the seat, it will process it without going to the payment screen (it's just a display bug -- it's not trying to charge you) I'm not sure if you are seeing that or not.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:31 pm

If ExpertFlyer shows D1 A1 U0 F1 P1 I1 for a flight where the seat map shows 12 empty seats in first class, does that likely mean there are 7 people already in first class without seat assignments?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
No. Alaska is now reducing F inventory when Y is oversold to compensate. Instead of just increasing U space to clear out 75K/Golds/GGU upgrades to open Y.

#southofexpected
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
No. Alaska is now reducing F inventory when Y is oversold to compensate. Instead of just increasing U space to clear out 75K/Golds/GGU upgrades to open Y.
Interesting, thanks for the info!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by kerfuffle
If ExpertFlyer shows D1 A1 U0 F1 P1 I1 for a flight where the seat map shows 12 empty seats in first class, does that likely mean there are 7 people already in first class without seat assignments?
Perhaps... Depending on your routing. Some routes have more travel agent/ corporate bookings than others, which use a system that’s decades old and doesn’t require seat assignments till check in. The clients don’t always know this so they don’t go and select their seat in advance, leading to fully booked F, but a seat map that shows 14 of 16 open.

#southofexpected
I don’t think that F is being capped. The revenue potential of a last min F ticket is much greater than IDB an oversold Y pax, so even on a flight oversold in the back, there would be seats in the front for sale. If the flight is close to departure I’d guess the upgrade processor didn’t seat the people. If it was a longer time away, I’d bet corporate/travel agent bookings. Other than capping some flights which might be operated by an 800 or 900 to 12F until close in, I don’t think I’ve heard of F being capped to make room for Y.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat

#southofexpected
Thanks! That explains how wife and I got upgraded just inside the window last week ona flight that had been F2 for several days.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by brettsir

I don’t think that F is being capped. The revenue potential of a last min F ticket is much greater than IDB an oversold Y pax, so even on a flight oversold in the back, there would be seats in the front for sale. If the flight is close to departure I’d guess the upgrade processor didn’t seat the people. If it was a longer time away, I’d bet corporate/travel agent bookings. Other than capping some flights which might be operated by an 800 or 900 to 12F until close in, I don’t think I’ve heard of F being capped to make room for Y.
It seems to only be to outside sources (GDS) when Y is -2 or higher. I happened to come across a flight that was 0'd out in Sabre (GDS, not Alaska), and a load check showed it had 9 open in F and was -11 in back. This was also for a flight leaving in less than 48 hours.

A handful of airlines do this, Alaska traditionally hasn't, but Alaska also does a fantastic job of NOT overselling. But I believe they have some algorithms set that will zap out all F inventory (may not happen ALL the time), which is why some of us have been left in back when there's clearly F seats open (this has happened to me MANY times on VX-A320/A321 aircraft out of FLL/MCO when F+Y = at capacity or higher, even when F wasn't full).
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
It seems to only be to outside sources (GDS) when Y is -2 or higher. I happened to come across a flight that was 0'd out in Sabre (GDS, not Alaska), and a load check showed it had 9 open in F and was -11 in back. This was also for a flight leaving in less than 48 hours.

A handful of airlines do this, Alaska traditionally hasn't, but Alaska also does a fantastic job of NOT overselling. But I believe they have some algorithms set that will zap out all F inventory (may not happen ALL the time), which is why some of us have been left in back when there's clearly F seats open (this has happened to me MANY times on VX-A320/A321 aircraft out of FLL/MCO when F+Y = at capacity or higher, even when F wasn't full).
If a flight is 0'd out as you describe, it's probably close to departure (less than 72 hours) and truly oversold at or beyond limits. Then the system will zero out all inventory knowing its above authorized limits.
For a flight that was farther from departure that is showing F1with a mostly open FC cabin, I'd guess that either the upgrade processor didn't seat people, or it was a business heavy route where reservations are made through a corporate agent who doesn't pre-reserve seats in sabre.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Are your flying companions not listed on upgrade requests?

Took a flight last week with 6 empty FC seats, I was #1 on list.. no status flying companion was not on UG list. My upgrade was cleared at gate, but companion somehow was not on UG list. Booked on same confirmation with T fares. Eventually after some conversation with gate agent, she got companion upgraded.

In the past this has always be automated.. Something change?

Last edited by BarryL; May 11, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BarryL
Are your flying companions not listed on upgrade requests?

Took a flight last week with 6 empty FC seats, I was #1 on list.. no status flying companion was not on UG list. My upgrade was cleared at gate, but companion somehow was not on UG list. Booked on same confirmation with T fares. Eventually after some conversation with gate agent, she got companion upgraded.

In the past this has always be automated.. Something change?
The display of companions on the same PNR for the upgrade list has been a problem for quite a while. It apparently shows on the gate agent's display (the number in the party) but does not show in the app or on the at-gate display.

I've run into this repeatedly, and sometimes the gate agent doesn't look to see if there's more than one person tied to the upgrade request.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum

I've seen what appears to be a hold-back of 4 F seats on some 739 routes starting at 3-4 months out. Not exactly sure what they're protecting against (how likely is an EQ swap to a 738?), but the seats aren't out for sale until days before departure, and often turn into at-gate upgrades.

Other times they block F seats and oversell Y a corresponding amount. I guess historical data tells them there is more last-minute demand for Y than F.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I've seen what appears to be a hold-back of 4 F seats on some 739 routes starting at 3-4 months out. Not exactly sure what they're protecting against (how likely is an EQ swap to a 738?), but the seats aren't out for sale until days before departure, and often turn into at-gate upgrades.

Other times they block F seats and oversell Y a corresponding amount. I guess historical data tells them there is more last-minute demand for Y than F.
I've had quite a few "last minute" swaps between 738 and 739. It's the same crew to operate both plane types, so they'll swap them as appropriate - even day of. Most recently I flew BUR-SEA and the flight was listed as 739 on my reservation even through when I checked in, but when we boarded it was a 738.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I think there you have it. It also gives the flexibility to swap out a reconfigured A320.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by northwesterner
I've had quite a few "last minute" swaps between 738 and 739. It's the same crew to operate both plane types, so they'll swap them as appropriate - even day of. Most recently I flew BUR-SEA and the flight was listed as 739 on my reservation even through when I checked in, but when we boarded it was a 738.
I also had an equipment change from a 738 to a 739 on HNL-SEA. It was a nice upgrade on a companion fare.

James
Old May 12, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by northwesterner
Do both get the same number of FAs? I could be totally wrong, but for some reason I thought AS sent an extra FA on 739 equipment. Though looking at FAR 121.391, it isn't required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.