Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
A scam implies deceit, fraud, or cheating; none of which are suggested here. If TD wants to limit churning they certainly have the means via policy and their own records to do so. The topic of credit card bonus points churning makes up a significant chunk of the discussions here on flyer talk for several programs as does taking best advantage of every other FF benefit imaginable; so if this thread is distasteful then so are many other threads on maximizing FF and reward benefits.

TD could very well not be as desperate or has better cost/benefit analysis methods. Obviously TD and many other card issuers believe the cost of churners isn't worth the effort in changing the rules or tightening their reviews of multiple or repeat applications. However, that is their wilful choice and no one is suggesting anything except how to maximize their bonuses within that choice.
Well said... ^
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:47 pm

Churning Boo-Boo, and MBNA Does THIS...

I applied for a AS MC for the second time (cancelled last winter) and wasn't sure if I was going to get approved or not because I was concerned they had adopted TD's credit dept/approvals (and TD doesn't seem to like all the credit I have - despite the fact that the other banks don't care).

When I didn't hear back from them, I thought, "Uh oh..." thinking it was TD's adjudicators reviewing my file. So I called them, found out I'd been declined, and then asked to speak to the credit dept. to find out why.

Seems as though one of my banks reported me for missing a payment on a credit card I forgot I had (DOH!). Of course I'd paid it already and knew that, but what I didn't know is that my score took a big enough hit for me to be declined! The credit officer asked why I'd missed that payment and I explained that I'd switched to e-statements and hadn't logged in for a while and didn't realize that the $80 charge I'd made on it was outstanding. He looked at my file and said, "yeah, your score went waaaay down because it was 90 days overdue" (and it was...whoops) BUT then he said, "Well, I see that your credit history is long and impeccable, so I can make an exception".

I am not sure how much of that was BS, and how bad my score really got hit from that missed payment, but either way, I thought it was awesome that I had the chance to speak to someone on the phone who was able to overturn that decision. Furthermore, I think this proves that MBNA isn't using TD's methodologies for credit applications, despite their takeover...

Now....whether or not I get the bonus points is the next challenge...and waiting for my credit score to repair itself will be painful. But either way, I am happy that I actually got some really great customer service from MBNA and thought I'd share!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by pokee
Seems as though one of my banks reported me for missing a payment on a credit card I forgot I had (DOH!). Of course I'd paid it already and knew that, but what I didn't know is that my score took a big enough hit for me to be declined!
Thanks for sharing! Which card was that?!?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Thanks for sharing! Which card was that?!?
CIBC... I've had that account for over a decade (downgraded an upgraded several times), and in the spring downgraded to a no-fee card (because I am going to upgrade next year to an Aventura for bonus points) and I forgot I made a charge on it for $80, and it sat....and sat.... I am going to call them up to see if they can remove it, but in my 25+ years of credit spending, this is my worst boo-boo and I have no experience trying to talk my way out of credit mishaps. I am one of the good ones...at least I was!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:40 pm

World Elite v Platinum Plus

What's the lowdown on the World Elite v Platinum Plus versions of this card? From reading previous posts in this thread, it seems that you get the PP version if you don't meet certain income requirements ($60,000). But I saw some posters rejoicing that they got the PP version (in the hopes of being enticed by a WE upgrade offer later on) so I assume there is no worries in receiving the 25k bonus points? What about the GCR cashback?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH
I just received a Plat and the 25k is showing as pending. Didn't use GCR however so I can't comment on that.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by flyer05
What's the lowdown on the World Elite v Platinum Plus versions of this card? From reading previous posts in this thread, it seems that you get the PP version if you don't meet certain income requirements ($60,000). But I saw some posters rejoicing that they got the PP version (in the hopes of being enticed by a WE upgrade offer later on) so I assume there is no worries in receiving the 25k bonus points? What about the GCR cashback?
Is there even a Canadian World Elite version of this card? I've only ever seen the normal grey/silver Platinum Plus card in Canada... even with people well over the 60k income threshold.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by MattBC
Is there even a Canadian World Elite version of this card? I've only ever seen the normal grey/silver Platinum Plus card in Canada... even with people well over the 60k income threshold.
Yes. I hold the world elite version
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:08 pm

I remember them saying there is a diff between the two, possibly the companion pass? but 25k for both, unlike the ridiculous bait and switch in the US with the 5k plat
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
the mrs has the Platinum version of the card and got the companion pass as well so it doesnt seem to be that
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
I remember them saying there is a diff between the two, possibly the companion pass? but 25k for both, unlike the ridiculous bait and switch in the US with the 5k plat
Price Protection and Concierge Mastercard World Elite benefits. That's all; no difference in Alaska benefits.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
Price Protection and Concierge Mastercard World Elite benefits. That's all; no difference in Alaska benefits.
Right thats what it was
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I applied for 2 of these in the same week about 6 months ago and want to get another. What's the best way to approach it?

Should I close one (or both), lower credit limits, or just apply for a 3rd?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:02 pm

Canceled March 2015

Applied 11/27, pending, I called in trying to clear things but got disconnected and haven't called since
Card arrived today 12/17 by itself (World Elite), mere $2500 limit (fine by me)
No GCR $60 rebate email yet though
had to create new online login @@ what a bad system

No Alaska # to enter during application nor seen on the CC = I hope they auto-match my account correctly...

Last edited by jerryhung; Dec 16, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Canceled March 2015

Applied 11/27, pending, I called in trying to clear things but got disconnected and haven't called since
Card arrived today 12/17 by itself (World Elite), mere $2500 limit (fine by me)
No GCR $60 rebate email yet though
had to create new online login @@ what a bad system

No Alaska # to enter during application nor seen on the CC = I hope they auto-match my account correctly...
Our most recent MBNA Alaska cards also did not have option to key in Alaska Airline Mileage Plus number. Jerry, I'd suggest you wait till the card arrives, then call and get a rep to SET it to your existing membership number.

BTW, we did not cancel our previous cards, so MBNA took the liberty of closing down the oldest one, without consulting us. Say what??

BTW2,we were able to finally add our latest MBNA cards to our older MBNA.ca login accounts. Same for a number of MBNA cards that were opened after Oct 2014 when they transitioned to the TD servers...those cards were originally ONLY able to be added to a new MBNA.ca profile account...now, we can add those as well to our original login. Nice to have them all in one location again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.