Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
terms changed as of 7/1, see last few pages of churning amex thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...2015-a-45.html
my heart just dropped...will be interesting to see how this is working. wondering if we're able one last churn since they changed the terms only recently.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by sxc234
my heart just dropped...will be interesting to see how this is working. wondering if we're able one last churn since they changed the terms only recently.
Yeah, I just found out about it today too, since I've been away on vacation. I am quite bummed about it, because I had a nice 1 Amex card every 2 years system going that was working nicely, and didn't stand out too much.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:40 pm

This card isn't great for European redemptions, right? Availability doesn't seem to be very good....lots of British Airways flights with high surcharges

Last edited by DealAddict; Jul 8, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DealAddict
This card isn't great for European redemptions, right? Availability doesn't seem to be very good....
Depends on where you're flying from and to? I've never had an issue seeing availabilities, and they have the cheapest NA-Europe Economy redemption (40k for a roundtrip) of any FFP. AND no surcharges!

edit: or do you man within Europe?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Depends on where you're flying from and to? I've never had an issue seeing availabilities, and they have the cheapest NA-Europe Economy redemption (40k for a roundtrip) of any FFP. AND no surcharges!

edit: or do you man within Europe?
Montreal to Madrid for example.... next year in April. There are a lot of 3 stop AA options with crazy connections, limited 2 stop options

Last edited by DealAddict; Jul 8, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Montreal to Madrid for example.... next year in April. There are a lot of 3 stop AA options, limited 2 stop options KLM flights not available...
There are some 1-stop AA options available too, you just have to search the calendar a bit

E.g. YUL-DFW-MAD (not the most awesome routing tho), YUL-MIA-MAD is slightly better. The best one is probably:

YUL-JFK-MAD, 20k+79$ for coach on April 12th (11:55am - 8:55am)
MAD-MIA-YUL, 20k+66$ for coach on April 19th (11:15am - 11:39pm)

so round-trip YUL-MAD for 40k miles + 145.- isn't so bad.

If you find availabilty in coach for the return flight on MAD-JFK-YUL then the flight times will be 10:55am - 10:50pm, very similar. The week I randomly chose just only had Business available for the return flight for the JFK routing, but I'm sure there's a week where coach goes both ways.

Next year seems wide open for AA for YUL-MAD tho, I'm sure there's something! Unless you wanna fly business anyway, then it's 50k on AA one-way.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:34 pm

Yes, i saw that one... the first flight is fine, but unfortunately 11:39 pm is really late since I live in Ottawa. there aren't any 2 stop flights that arrive in YUL before say 6-7 PM. There are only 2 that less than 24 hours (1 on British Airways).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:11 pm

I think NA (especially East Coast) to Europe is still Aeroplan (star alliance) for the win

but AS has its sweet spots too, just like Avios or AA miles do
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I think NA (especially East Coast) to Europe is still Aeroplan (star alliance) for the win

but AS has its sweet spots too, just like Avios or AA miles do
What's the best use? Asia?

Too bad about the European options
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:40 pm

I think Europe is a pretty good use (40,000 miles is a great deal), but I may have a much higher pain tolerance for crappy routings, being a cheap student. I also like the 40,000 miles to South America, but the routes are also going to be awful.

Alaska is pretty frustrating to work with from Montreal. People who live on the west coast or closer to an American airport have way more options. If you have some avios to spare, you can get a positioning flight to JFK which improves your options tremendously. You can get a fancy Emirates flight to Milan from there.

If you're willing to fly out of Toronto, Cathay flies out of there.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:13 pm

What's the best use? Asia?

Too bad about the European options
West Coast to anywhere for Alaska, given that feeder flights through Seattle are quite available
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Airmiles, Aeroplan
Just applied got instant approval and just wondering how long it takes for the points to transfer to my Alaska Air Account.

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Originally Posted by chokko
Just applied got instant approval and just wondering how long it takes for the points to transfer to my Alaska Air Account.

Thanks
It took about 3 weeks for Ms. Banffflyr's most recent application to post.

On another note, has anyone else had problems accessing MBNA's online banking site recently? I have been getting a technical error message for the last 4 days.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by banffflyr
It took about 3 weeks for Ms. Banffflyr's most recent application to post.

On another note, has anyone else had problems accessing MBNA's online banking site recently? I have been getting a technical error message for the last 4 days.
I logged in to see my 0% BT statement yesterday fine
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Alaska pts appear a few days after statement date for us, like most co-branded program points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.