Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ottiehund
That's the approach I have taken also, flights not until later April so messaged them last week so they can respond as they are able to, but haven't had a reply as yet. I am not concerned at this stage but out of interest what sort of time are you finding it takes to receive a response?
WhatsApp was 2 days
FB Messenger was same day (yesterday) and I had a decent back and forth conversation with them until they stopped responding when I questioned their logic vs the emails comms I had got a few days earlier
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
26 Mar (Th) I messaged them
28 Mar (Sa) they sent 2 messages (I sent 2).
Further social media exchanges today.

NZ says that they can get me on my return flight BNE-WLG In late May as currently booked even though flights don’t show at present.

So the options presented are for this 2-night, seat-only, non-refundable (return) journey are;

Hold the $373 fare in credit; or
Cancel and refund just the taxes $200.

I asked for a refund of the taxes, which they have processed and should be credited with 15 working days.

In the ‘big picture’ I think this is a pragmatic outcome rather than attempting to argue the toss over a flight that is announced as suspended - but also which could operate in late May.

Time will tell if their statement is true or not. I have been cut some slack by AirNZ in the past and don’t begrudge them the $173 they get to keep.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 28, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: NZ *G
That was the option I got to, but I do begrudge Air NZ keeping the balance. The taxes were never theirs, they were just a collection agent. Now we’re not able to travel the taxes should be refunded immediately as the Govt is not entitled to them. The balance should be a credit able to be used with Air NZ in the future. That is the deal Air NZ is offering domestic ticket holders and international should be no different.

As an aside, does anyone know why Air NZ is saying credits have to be used for the same type of flight - domestic to domestic and international to international?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by gratn
That was the option I got to, but I do begrudge Air NZ keeping the balance. The taxes were never theirs, they were just a collection agent. Now we’re not able to travel the taxes should be refunded immediately as the Govt is not entitled to them. The balance should be a credit able to be used with Air NZ in the future. That is the deal Air NZ is offering domestic ticket holders and international should be no different.

As an aside, does anyone know why Air NZ is saying credits have to be used for the same type of flight - domestic to domestic and international to international?
I recall reading somewhere (I think on the FAQ's) that you could use credits for any flights..... but that was some days ago and they kept changing.... so makes it hard to actually know what is on offer.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by gratn

All I was told is when rebooking flights it must be used all at once of equal or greater value. ie you get no change if you use your credit for rebooked flights and those flights were cheaper. Nothing about international vs domestic as far as I have been told. Just got to be sure you'll use your credit for one booking and top up the extra or forgo some small amount of change.

it's quite restrictive IMHO

I agree re taxes they should be refunded and just the fare put in credit.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Getting you on another flight

Further social media exchanges today.

NZ says that they can get me on my return flight BNE-WLG In late May as currently booked even though flights don’t show at present.

So the options presented are for this 2-night, seat-only, non-refundable (return) journey are;

Hold the $373 fare in credit; or
Cancel and refund just the taxes $200.

I asked for a refund of the taxes, which they have processed and should be credited with 15 working days.

In the ‘big picture’ I think this is a pragmatic outcome rather than attempting to argue the toss over a flight that is announced as suspended - but also which could operate in late May.

Time will tell if their statement is true or not. I have been cut some slack by AirNZ in the past and don’t begrudge them the $173 they get to keep.
Is it a straight swap or is it plus fare difference ?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beano
Is it a straight swap or is it plus fare difference ?
Not sure what you mean.

My flights were initially the direct WLG-BNE 22 May, and BNE-WLG 24 May. The WLG-BNE morning flight was cancelled, so put on WLG-AKL-BNE NZ402/145 rather than a later evening direct flight that was put on.

Then, on 17 Mar, Air NZ announced that flights WLG-BNE-WLG would be suspended until 31 May. My outbound routing via AKL remained viable, but on Sunday 24 May, there are no available flights from any Australian departure airport to anywhere in NZ, which is when I started pursuing a refund.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by ottiehund
I recall reading somewhere (I think on the FAQ's) that you could use credits for any flights..... but that was some days ago and they kept changing.... so makes it hard to actually know what is on offer.
The other one which would be nice to split and merge.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Not sure what you mean.

My flights were initially the direct WLG-BNE 22 May, and BNE-WLG 24 May. The WLG-BNE morning flight was cancelled, so put on WLG-AKL-BNE NZ402/145 rather than a later evening direct flight that was put on.

Then, on 17 Mar, Air NZ announced that flights WLG-BNE-WLG would be suspended until 31 May. My outbound routing via AKL remained viable, but on Sunday 24 May, there are no available flights from any Australian departure airport to anywhere in NZ, which is when I started pursuing a refund.
the new prices for flights are sometimes higher ...so question is there a price top up if the price is higher ?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
You need to keep hold of your original booking reference to bring up the credit when you call to rebook. Remember you need to book it within 12 months of the booking date not the departure date (I am pretty sure)
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beano
the new prices for flights are sometimes higher ...so question is there a price top up if the price is higher ?
I would expect so.

The alternative would be to allow a number of free changes for the same route?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
You need to keep hold of your original booking reference to bring up the credit when you call to rebook. Remember you need to book it within 12 months of the booking date not the departure date (I am pretty sure)
They have tweaked and said 12 months from credit date. And there will be more info on spending coming in coming weeks. Guess there will be an online way to spend giving the number and scale of credits in the system now.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Has anybody received any clarification as to what the credit can and can't be used for? I've seen mixed messages. Can they even be doubled up for a new booking?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Has anybody received any clarification as to what the credit can and can't be used for? I've seen mixed messages. Can they even be doubled up for a new booking?
.... or split up? eg long haul credit used for TT, Pacific Is, domestic combination of flights?

At the moment anyone opting for a credit, or unilaterally getting one without any consultation like me, simply does not know what they are accepting! Air NZ FAQ’s state:

Please bear with us. Over the coming weeks we'll share details on how to use your credit online.

Last edited by ottiehund; Mar 29, 2020 at 12:10 pm Reason: Quote
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:54 pm

I asked the specific question of AirNZ a couple of days ago and this is how it went -

Me "Please provide the full terms of the credit, how it can be used and any restrictions?"

AirNZ "The full amount is held against each booking. When re-booking flights it must be all used at once of equal or greater value. The credit must be used before X"

That was the extent of the reply so from that I take as long as you spend the credit held in one transaction then anything goes Intl long haul, TT, domestic. But the catch is if you are sitting on thousands it might be hard to spend on domestic & TT in one booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.