Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:16 pm

Good grief, now we're going down the "I've paid taxes all my life therefore the government OWES me superannuation" route with "I've invested in Air NZ and spend heaps of money on fares so they owe MY refund".

Absolutely deluded, I think there is no way of getting through to you self entitled frequent fliers. Try take a leaf out of JFKs book - ask not what Air NZ can do for you; ask what you can do for Air NZ.
WoodieNZ likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:18 pm

In response to the question, yes, I have a return flight for two on Air NZ in each of the next three months. Am I having a massive whinge about them being cancelled or whether I am getting a refund or a credit on an online forum? Nope.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:14 pm

Is it time some people disclosed their details rather than telling us to lose money?
Is it personal money and your high status probably means you can lose it, most of us cannot.
To some $10 is a lot to others $1000 is change.
Stop the nitpicking and moaning, just deal with what we have. It will not suit everyone but we are all affected and no one should be treated any different given the circumstances, while the NZ PM thinks some races need better looking after than others “we are one” to use her words.
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Is it time some people disclosed their details rather than telling us to lose money?
Is it personal money and your high status probably means you can lose it, most of us cannot.
To some $10 is a lot to others $1000 is change.
Stop the nitpicking and moaning, just deal with what we have. It will not suit everyone but we are all affected and no one should be treated any different given the circumstances, while the NZ PM thinks some races need better looking after than others “we are one” to use her words.
Let's not bait debates about the merits of racial policies on our Air New Zealand forum, that feels quite unnecessary...
Gasfoodlodging likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have 36 domestic flights booked between now and July. I'd dearly love these to be refunded.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Surely now that New Zealand is going into total lockdown in 48 hours, Air New Zealand will start cancelling flights from that time and we can get a refund instead of credit for this coming weekend’s flight.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I work for an essential service and we move around the country a bit - we have been told there will still be a limited network and you will need clearance to fly but should be daily flights / a flight into and out of most centres.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: Nz*G
Well team my wife and I were meant to be flying to Europe for our honeymoon this time next week on NZ1/2 return in PE, both so excited for it!
anyway those plans are long gone and yesterday we got the email from AirNZ cancelling the flights and automatically giving us a credit.
unfortunately the credit is no good to us as we are having a baby in November so I called AirNZ and talked through the facts of our case.
they were great, I couldn’t get through for numerous attempts but finally got through, apologised for calling when flight wasn’t for a while and they gave us a full refund minus a $300 pp cancellation fee. This was a little sour taste but overall we felt fairly treated and if we have to pay some fee to get our $ back then oh well. Got a years free elite too so overall can’t complain too much.
don’t ask what the fee is , the CSR said it was a “cancellation fee” I did mention it wasn’t us that cancelled but didn’t want to argue she was lovely and could tell they having a rough time
hope this story helps any of you that may be in a similar situation
cheers
ottiehund likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Lpmnz
Well team my wife and I were meant to be flying to Europe for our honeymoon this time next week on NZ1/2 return in PE, both so excited for it!
anyway those plans are long gone and yesterday we got the email from AirNZ cancelling the flights and automatically giving us a credit.
unfortunately the credit is no good to us as we are having a baby in November so I called AirNZ and talked through the facts of our case.
they were great, I couldn’t get through for numerous attempts but finally got through, apologised for calling when flight wasn’t for a while and they gave us a full refund minus a $300 pp cancellation fee. This was a little sour taste but overall we felt fairly treated and if we have to pay some fee to get our $ back then oh well. Got a years free elite too so overall can’t complain too much.
don’t ask what the fee is , the CSR said it was a “cancellation fee” I did mention it wasn’t us that cancelled but didn’t want to argue she was lovely and could tell they having a rough time
cheers
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am very surprised that eventho they cancelled your not entitled to a full refund
We have a family trip in June to USA and was told our refund fee would be $600 pp x 4 =$2400 as our flight is technically only “suspended” NOT “cancelled” as yet
so I said I will be in contact once it’s cancelled
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lpmnz
cheers
As NZ cancelled NZ1 leaving London NZ we’re legally required to give you a full refund under EC261 Article 8. Both the EU and the UK’s CAA have clarified that in the last week.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:01 am

As a data point, I had a CHC-MEL flight in May but the route has been suspended. I called in and they offered to reroute me or give me a full refund. I chose the refund and saw it on my credit card statement 2 days later.
ottiehund likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hitek0007
As a data point, I had a CHC-MEL flight in May but the route has been suspended. I called in and they offered to reroute me or give me a full refund. I chose the refund and saw it on my credit card statement 2 days later.
Im in same situation WLG-BNE in May, but want to call in a bit later to let the team get on with those that have immediate travel issues.

What time did you call?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Im in same situation WLG-BNE in May, but want to call in a bit later to let the team get on with those that have immediate travel issues.

What time did you call?
I called from overseas but it was 9-10am Auckland time, not too long of a hold
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: ba, NZ*GE, MH platinum
refunds not available

My two adult children flew from AKL to LHR on the 14th March for a family funeral. They were due to return on the 4th April but Air NZ have cancelled their flights. They have been given a credit and refused a refund. They do not expect to spend $6,000+ in the next 12 moths so the credits are useless. They were then offered a flight via Tokyo for $5,000 extra each on top of their already paid fares .This was to upgrade from one PE fare and one economy fare to business class - the only seats available. Problem - this required a transfer between Haneda to Narita. Japan does not allow this as it requires them to enter Japan. Why was this fare offered? There are no routes available from LHR to AKL with Air NZ.

The High Commission said they couldn't help but there were commercial fares available via LAX, Vancouver, Hong Kong and Tokyo. These airports with the exception of Tokyo do not allow transit. The High Commission have no plans for repatriation flights. Therefore they are stuck in the UK.

All we are asking is joined up thinking from the people in charge.

I understand the difficulties everyone is operating under but they have lost their money with Air NZ, even though the government say come home there are flights available, there aren't.

Latest - Qatar have offered a flight this weekend $3,000 each for economy but this is a non refundable fare and things could change in the next few days.After losing money with Air NZ they can't afford to have more money at risk.
All we ask is for some clarity and honesty in the situation.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
The options that AIRNZ are offering seem to change constantly, see now option of rebook without fees is available foe flights booked up to 30 June

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.