Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Didn't see any other option but to file a credit card dispute. Booked flight through Expedia AU, but charge is billed as Air New Zealand. Can not get any support from Expedia.

MEL-AKL will not be cancelled, but due to restrictions, I can not legally board the plane nor enter either country.
update to my post: my flight has been officially canceled. E-mailed my credit card company with the new info to fight the charge.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AirNZ G*, AirAsia Black
Another experience. Called from Australia and got an incredibly friendly CSA. Called regarding a flight about to depart in 48 hours from OOL > CHC return, this ticket was refundable by cash and would be processed in 7 business days, perhaps longer under current circumstances.

I also asked about two other bookings for a few weeks time, which she also resolved: SYD > AKL return (premium economy) and BNE > CHC > OOL (seat only), sadly both these bookings were non-refundable but were held in credit for 12 months from issue date. I do have a question for people: where/how is the credit documented? Should I expect an email (at time of posting it is 24 hours later, without any email, but the booking is removed from my bookings page). I logged into app and logged into desktop website and could not see a 'credit wallet' (similar to Virgin Australia's 'Travel Bank'). I even completed a mock booking (on the app) to see if credit was available on the payment page but there was nothing obvious, so any intel is appreciated!

Was really pleased with the CSA, she did all she could (looking into trying to override my non-refundable PE fare class) to get a resolution. I wish I caught her name to submit a compliment. Thanks for the posts and take care, all.
ottiehund likes this.

Last edited by mcgma760; Mar 28, 2020 at 1:08 am
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
My flights to SYD next week disappeared from the app and myairnz earlier in the week. No communication about what happened.
Me too. My flights to Brisbane are gone and the RUs are back in my account (with no chance of using them). No email about a credit, and nothing showing in the My NZ app. Odd.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:32 am
Suspended

Need Some Advice

Hi

Booked SFO to MEL via Auckland June 3rd for 4 tickets. Non refundable tickets.

Read they canclled flights until June 30th ( SFO to AKL).

What is the best strategy to get a refund?

We are talking about $4K so not chump change.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: AirNZ G*, AirAsia Black
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
Hi

Based off my recent experience - no strategy will work, it'll be credit. Best of luck.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:23 am
Suspended

Hi

Where do you live? Dispute the charge with your credit card company. Also file a complaint with the DOT (if you live in the US).
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:29 am
Suspended

I live in the US.

Ah your saying because they can not fly me to dispute it due to non performance not travel insurance?

mcgma760 if all ANZ gives is credit they will go bankrupt. The ill will they will raise is enormous.

Originally Posted by mcgma760
Based off my recent experience - no strategy will work, it'll be credit. Best of luck.
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Where do you live? Dispute the charge with your credit card company. Also file a complaint with the DOT (if you live in the US).
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:57 am
Suspended

Ah your saying because they can not fly me to dispute it due to non performance not travel insurance?

mcgma760 if all ANZ gives is credit they will go bankrupt. The ill will they will raise is enormous.
yeah. They have broken the contract and DOT rules. First stage will be with the credit card company and also DOT. Don't settle for this attitude of "you have to accept the credit" BS.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:31 am
Suspended

What should I ask Air NZ For?

I guess the CC company wants some sort of confirmation the flight is cancelled. Should I get an email from Air NZ confirming this or do I need something else?

Similarly what do I need for the DOT complaint.

yeah. They have broken the contract and DOT rules. First stage will be with the credit card company and also DOT. Don't settle for this attitude of "you have to accept the credit" BS.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:36 am
Suspended

I guess the CC company wants some sort of confirmation the flight is cancelled. Should I get an email from Air NZ confirming this or do I need something else?

Similarly what do I need for the DOT complaint.
For the CC, I would print a screenshot from Air NZ website that shows the flight was cancelled. That will be enough. Not sure with the DOT.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
For the CC, I would print a screenshot from Air NZ website that shows the flight was cancelled. That will be enough. Not sure with the DOT.
AirNZ media releases on 17 and 25 March list many flights not operating TransTasman stating “All other Tasman routes are suspended from 30 March to 30 June as follows;’. The word ‘cancelled’ is not used.

A look at ExpertFlyer shows my WLG-BNE-WLG flights but with zero in every fare bucket - suggesting the flights are ‘suspended’.

Could this be the ‘grounds’ on which AirNZ is not refunding fares but offering a credit? (and free date changes). A credit is of no value/use to me as I have no future TT travel plans.

Air NZ stated to me that because they can route me to BNE via AKL that there are no grounds for a refund. I pointed out there are no flights for the return from BNE-WLG on the day concerned either directly or indirectly between any Australian city to any NZ city.

They have yet to respond to this last point. I’m content to do this (slowly) on a social media channel and leave the phones for urgent/complex situations.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:18 pm

I've tried all sorts of avenues for a refund and been unsuccessful. I've quoted timings, previous policies, CGA, change of CoC recently, they cancelled for ops reasons not government restrictions. Even the expiry of the credit is dodgy, they say it was issued on the 12th of March despite the flights not being 'cancelled' until 27th March. On the 12th of March there was no hard line government restriction on travel. TBH I've had enough trying to deal with it, I've better things to do with my time.

if anyone manages to get a refund let us know

They used 'suspensions' which were clearly for operational reasons, that then brought them time to wait until the government restricted travel and then they rolled out 'cancellations' for the already suspended flights citing for reasons 'out of their control' which = no refund.

Last edited by racekp; Mar 28, 2020 at 1:24 pm
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
...........They have yet to respond to this last point. I’m content to do this (slowly) on a social media channel and leave the phones for urgent/complex situations.
That's the approach I have taken also, flights not until later April so messaged them last week so they can respond as they are able to, but haven't had a reply as yet. I am not concerned at this stage but out of interest what sort of time are you finding it takes to receive a response?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by ottiehund
That's the approach I have taken also, flights not until later April so messaged them last week so they can respond as they are able to, but haven't had a reply as yet. I am not concerned at this stage but out of interest what sort of time are you finding it takes to receive a response?
19 March and still waiting for reply
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ottiehund
26 Mar (Th) I messaged them
28 Mar (Sa) they sent 2 messages (I sent 2).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.