Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by racekp
I'm wondering if where the airline is indicating they are heading in the future (largley domestic airline), many people might struggle to use their credit of 2,3,4k+ in one booking? I'm also wondering if 12 month validity is also going to be enough. I'm hoping the conditions of usage of 'credits' comes out sooner rather than later.
They do need to post this so we know what we might be accepting (or might in many cases be unilaterally given) .
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
@camwallace tweeting about Air NZ Closing Down Sale! 7000 seats on sale today.

My refund for cancelled flexidate flight appeared on my CC over night.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:27 pm

Have they actually said credit has to be used in a certain way i.e a $700 flight is turned into a credit and may only be used once?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gambda
I found this in the weekend when sifting through their FAQs on their website.

I got the email stating my flight from PER- AKL in late April has been cancelled and they are now processing an automatic credit but fare difference will still apply. So in what circumstances does the above apply ??
If people still want to travel and change their travel date to say October so going by the above they should be able to rebook without any fees or fare difference ?

I tried to change a future TT booking in June online which has not been cancelled yet and it quoted me a fare difference of approx $200 OW.

Also, I had a multi stop itinerary with one un-flown segment which was my outbound to PER which disappeared from my bookings 3 days ago but no email comms about that yet.
Curious how they will process a credit for that segment ?
See the option has now changed to if wanting to rebook will have to now pay change fees.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold,SQ Krisflyer, Qantas bronze. Accor hotels.
znsm wrote earlier: Flight was cancelled, received an email it was for operational reasons, new flight proposed (different day). This fully qualifies for a refund under the CoC but was offered a credit. Had to persist, quoting the CoC, 2 long holds to a supervisor later and refunds were approved as a "one time exception" as I'm Elite.

>>> I received no such joy when I tried the same for my cancelled flight, is it that I am merely gold? My Sin-chch-dunedin-auckland-sin booking was cancelled by Air nz. i seek a refund, not a credit, but supervisors insist that they must follow policy, not the CoC. So when does policy, supersede law?
A 12-month credit maybe no good to me even if I was willing to let air nz bank the $4,400 fare for a while, as i live in Singapore and Air NZ does not even fly out of there now for god knows how long. And in any case, i don’t have any further plans to visit NZ in the next 12 months or so.
Interestingly, my husband was to travel on the same SIN-Chch flight as me (code share) and he booked it through Singapore Airlines and last week he emailed them and got a reply straight away agreeing to a refund, no problems.
Any ideas what I can do to get a refund from Air NZ?
The contact people atAir NZ were helpful and the superviser said ‘just about all our calls are about this’ . When I commented that they must be worried about their jobs, she said yes, and I said, ‘which is why you are toeing the company line and not giving me a refund’, and she said ‘yes’.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Colours
znsm wrote earlier: Flight was cancelled, received an email it was for operational reasons, new flight proposed (different day). This fully qualifies for a refund under the CoC but was offered a credit. Had to persist, quoting the CoC, 2 long holds to a supervisor later and refunds were approved as a "one time exception" as I'm Elite.

>>> I received no such joy when I tried the same for my cancelled flight, is it that I am merely gold? My Sin-chch-dunedin-auckland-sin booking was cancelled by Air nz. i seek a refund, not a credit, but supervisors insist that they must follow policy, not the CoC. So when does policy, supersede law?
A 12-month credit maybe no good to me even if I was willing to let air nz bank the $4,400 fare for a while, as i live in Singapore and Air NZ does not even fly out of there now for god knows how long. And in any case, i don’t have any further plans to visit NZ in the next 12 months or so.
Interestingly, my husband was to travel on the same SIN-Chch flight as me (code share) and he booked it through Singapore Airlines and last week he emailed them and got a reply straight away agreeing to a refund, no problems.
Any ideas what I can do to get a refund from Air NZ?
The contact people atAir NZ were helpful and the superviser said ‘just about all our calls are about this’ . When I commented that they must be worried about their jobs, she said yes, and I said, ‘which is why you are toeing the company line and not giving me a refund’, and she said ‘yes’.
It used to be in the FAQ but they have since taken it down, the CoC states

1.5 Can Air New Zealand staff change the terms of the Conditions of Carriage?
No Air New Zealand employee, Agent or other person can vary the terms of these Conditions of Carriage.

So policy cannot override the CoC regardless of your status. If they want to follow the company line they should follow the published CoC as that is their legal liability. If it was me I would try a credit card charge back if you are clearly within CoC
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Credit card refunds

Looks like credit card retain some payments

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...t-card-problem
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
I see the following now on website .... credits can be used for any travel, which is more palatable than previously suggested options.

Managing your flights with Air New Zealand

If you booked through a travel agent, please ask them to manage your changes.

Sorry, we can't give you a refund on a non-refundable ticket.

Arrange a 12-month credit for your booked ticket for travel before 30 June - it's online and fast

You can use your credit within the next 12 months for any travel on Air New Zealand.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:02 am

My charge dispute was processed (Citicard USA) and a permanent credit applied for my canceled flight.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Both WestJet and Air Canada here in the ice box of Canada have made the credits valid for 24 months.
Any of Air NZ's competitors offering 24 as opposed to 12?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:54 am

Even if my flight were cancelled I would not be able to pursue it with my CC as it would we well outside the dispute window since my flight is still almost 5 months away. Here is hoping that NZ does the right thing and takes care of their customers by arranging alternative transportation or refunding the fare if they cannot.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:23 pm

checked LAX-AKL for December and the fare is $2500 in economy LMAO! I don't think I will ever accept NZ credit in this situation, that fare is laughable. I think NZ should offer a credit for ANY inter continental flight in lieu of a cancelled inter continental flight in the same class and should waive expiration dates or fare differences. If they want people to accept credits then sweeten the deal otherwise it's common sense - why will people accept a credit?

Their "take it or leave it" attitude when they are not in a position to make these sorts of demands makes no sense to me whatsoever!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by k374
Even if my flight were cancelled I would not be able to pursue it with my CC as it would we well outside the dispute window since my flight is still almost 5 months away. Here is hoping that NZ does the right thing and takes care of their customers by arranging alternative transportation or refunding the fare if they cannot.
I disputed the charge from 8 months ago and won. YMMV
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I disputed the charge from 8 months ago and won. YMMV
“Grounds for attempting a chargeback vary according to card company rules. A cardholder has a specified time under the credit card’s conditions of use to dispute a transaction. Failing that, it is assumed the cardholder has accepted responsibility to pay.

A chargeback attempt may fail if there is not a valid reason for it, and card issuers are unable to force a merchant’s bank to refund credit card payments.”

https://bankomb.org.nz/guides-and-ca...s/chargebacks/
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: LH-SEN
Originally Posted by ottiehund
I see the following now on website .... credits can be used for any travel, which is more palatable than previously suggested.
Perhaps more palatable but why do they think they have the right to define the time period for use? I very much doubt that I'll be back in New Zealand within the next 12 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.