Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by prp343
How many RUs are they even getting?
They get the exact same as any other Elite member,
prp343 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Thanks for your detailed reply lying flat. Very interesting. I want to support air nz but glad we have choices out there...
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
They get the exact same as any other Elite member,
Assume they could just submit APD upgrade requests and they would be cleared at the top of the pile, perhaps even above lower Tier RUs
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by racekp
Assume they could just submit APD upgrade requests and they would be cleared at the top of the pile, perhaps even above lower Tier RUs
Yes, EP1 APD upgrades are looked at higher than Elite RUs. However, EP1 APD upgrades can only clear into R/A class for pre-confirmation if those classes are available. NZ will not overbook R/A class for them (unlike for EP1 RUs).
racekp likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:56 pm

Sounds likes there's undisclosed tiers within tiers for NZ Elites, since others have been getting RU's to clear regularly. I haven't seen RUs clear for US flights for a while. Also in the middle of covid there were very long waits on the call centre line. I guess they don't mind giving away lounge access, upfront seats and extra baggage for people that potentially might give them more business down the track but that's where it stops. I understand the need to pamper the 20% of the clientele giving them their 80% of revenue. Interesting thread though.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
Sounds likes there's undisclosed tiers within tiers for NZ Elites, since others have been getting RU's to clear regularly.
Not all all. Getting RUs to clear is based on luck and flexibility. I myself will check to see if R class is available on the date I want (+/- a couple of days if there's some flexibility in my dates). If not, I'll just book BP.

Pre-Covid, you would be lucky if NZ released 1/2 R class seats per flight (sometimes none if it is a peak travel period) and these get snapped up very quickly.. Don't forget, there is a cost to the airline for pre-confirming upgrades...
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:01 pm

I have had reasonable luck with RUs.

But then my trips were mid week which seem to be more lightly loaded & picked days when there was both 1/2 and 5/6. Mid week seemed to have more luck than Fri-Mon & school holidays.

I never had anything clear at booking were mostly on the day or at boarding.

(Works Deluxe upgrades aside. where they seem happy to offer upgrade if seat not sold)
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:06 pm

Thanks all for the tips on booking. Maybe I haven't been strategic enough. I haven't been able to get my head around using expert flyer yet. That will be next on my to do list.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Ellice
Thanks all for the tips on booking. Maybe I haven't been strategic enough. I haven't been able to get my head around using expert flyer yet. That will be next on my to do list.
I have found EF a very useful tool. Mainly for examining seats maps, and booking levels across the various fare buckets. The fare class alert has also been useful to snaffle P and F fares in particular.

Please note that R class does not show on EF!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Please note that R class does not show on EF!
Where are you seeing it (PM me, maybe)? I used to be able to see it on myidtravel but that disappeared some months ago.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Where are you seeing it (PM me, maybe)? I used to be able to see it on myidtravel but that disappeared some months ago.
You need to call AirNZ and ask.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Auckland Airport EP1 Lounge

We have a new photo! Since the last shred of details was Brook Sabin's pretty average analysis of an old map I present the full photo in all it's glory on Reddit!
Not my snap so credit to u/kvmvl.

Thought some of you might not have spotted it so worth firing this thread up again.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Alphapapa
We have a new photo! Since the last shred of details was Brook Sabin's pretty average analysis of an old map I present the full photo in all it's glory on Reddit!
Not my snap so credit to u/kvmvl.

Thought some of you might not have spotted it so worth firing this thread up again.
I've been to the lounge a couple of times. Apart from being separated from the "masses" in the main lounge it's nothing really special. SQ's SilverKris Business Class lounge in SIN is much nicer.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
I think outside this forum there are a lot of elites that have no idea about how RU works... I have a bunch of colleagues (anecdotes I know) who did not even realise they could apply them at 355 days in advance or about A/R class availability.

Like others if planning to use I book waaaaay ahead almost as flights open and ring to check R class availability.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:46 pm

it’s more about what Air NZ can get from you rather than rewarding for spend, from what I can gather. If they have all your business why spend more on you..

Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
It's clearly extremely exclusive and at the whim of senior management. I asked a friend who works for a senior Government Minister - she travels extensively and is not a member, but is a member of Qantas Chairman's Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.