Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HeartFist
I want to check the award miles for a DL-coded, DL-operated flight I took and the dashboard does not provide a lot of information.

Any hints on what I should do?
https://flyingblue.nl/en/partners/ai...lse&earn=false
HeartFist likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AF/KL FBPFL Ultimate, IHG Spire, HERTZ 5 stars
XP with partners

tks irishguy28, thus I could not find clearly in this link the XP amount logic. Is this the same than for an AF one ?
rgds
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes; there is only a single XP earning table for all airlines.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Ahhh ..
So this part did not change for ST partners ...
Thanks for the clarifications

Originally Posted by irishguy28
They most certainly DO matter.

When you are flying on partners (i.e. not AF and KL) everything depends on the booking class, just as it always did.

You must not have looked too hard, then See below.

No, no, no.

Earning miles on partners remains the same as it always was. Distance times earning percentage. As explained on the website, with several examples given!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
New mile are an absolute rip-off

I'm Platinum and I flew LHR to CDG during the changeover period. The Business Class return cost £272.80, though the taxes account for £88.80 of that. So the base fare is £191.
The outward journey on 25th March (under the old rules) produced 2625 miles (of which 1875 were level miles). The return, on 1st April produced 544 miles and 15 XP. That's a massive drop.

Presumably, they halved the pre-tax fare (ie to £95.50), though the biggest part of the tax is actually the GB departure tax, so that hardly affects a CDG-LHR sector. At the latest exchange rate before the miles were credited - on the day itself, strangely - that gives 109€. Which at 8 miles per euro, should yield 872 miles, which is still only about 25% of the old rate. I really can't be ar..d contacting Flying Blue to chase up 300 miles.

As it happens, I've already qualified for Platinum until March 2020, through a lot of carry over miles from 2017 and a First Class long-haul trip in the first quarter of 2018. But, as a London resident (I used to live in Paris and still travel there a lot), I need to think whether AF and Skyteam is worth it for much longer. The problem is I hate BA (and only got moved into Executive Club when they took over bmi) and Star Alliance is not practical for a UK resident. The yield on short haul Business, unless it's a fully flexible fare, is going to be pathetic. Though at least the XP rate is better than poor AF domestic abonnés get.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:43 am
HNS

Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Supposedly they made these changes in the benefit of users (/s) and to be more transparent and easy to understand by everyone.

Based on these formulas and my flights prior to April 1st, I should have had ~7700 Level miles and 6 eligible segments before the conversion. I got 35 starting XP. I should have received 49 (or even 56 if they rounded up).

I was gathering miles for reward tickets to HNL with my family, needed 180k for 3 RT Europe-Hawaii; i just checked the calculator and it starts at 59k one way (I had to do segment by segment since it can't price the entire route.

Since partners earn miles the old fashioned way (Distance*fare class), does the status bonus still apply?

This is such a mess...

Last edited by HNS; Apr 9, 2018 at 5:56 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by HNS
Supposedly they made these changes in the benefit of users (/s) and to be more transparent and easy to understand by everyone.

Ok...

I just concluded a small US tour right in the middle of the change (some flights were before April 1st, some flights were after and also my status was Gold before the change and Silver after) and I'm very confused about the XP conversion.

Initial XP = 5*number of eligible segments + 7*(Level miles/1000)
Level miles = Distance * Fare class % + Status bonus

Based on these formulas and my flights prior to April 1st, I should have had ~7700 Level miles and 6 eligible segments before the conversion. I got 35 starting XP. I should have received 30+49 (or even 56 if they rounded up).

Right?
Not quite right You only get the maximum of *either* the level miles conversion or the XP conversion, not both. But still the 35 XP seems low. Did you make flights on the 31st or even the 30th or earlier since it sounds like your flights weren't on AF/KL? Anything flown before the 1st April and credited since the 1st April has been accounted for on the new scheme and not converted under the conversion rules, which could lead to the lower than expected cover.

Some members here have had flights from before the 1 April that were credited after 1 April, 'corrected' for this with extra XP... I'm still waiting for them to sort it.

Also, I think you can't count status bonus in the level mile calculation, that only applies to award miles.
HNS likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:28 am
HNS

Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Yeah, I edited my initial post but you were fast enough to catch it All confusion gone, I still have missing XP but not that much. Besides, I swapped the multiplicators for segments and level miles in the formula so that was wrong too.

Anyway, I might as well give up this hamster wheel, and the credit card associated with it as well, the only aspirational reward I was ever saving for (saving for 2 years now) just doubled in value... Might as well try other airlines...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by rangerss75
I'm Platinum and I flew LHR to CDG during the changeover period. The Business Class return cost £272.80
I pay more for economy AMS-NWI on average!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNS
Based on these formulas and my flights prior to April 1st, I should have had ~7700 Level miles and 6 eligible segments before the conversion. I got 35 starting XP. I should have received 49 (or even 56 if they rounded up).
If you look in your Flying Blue statement, you will see exactly how they arrived at the number of XPs.

Have a look, and see why they took that number.

(It sounds like they only counted 5 segments; 5 QUALIFYING FLIGHT = 35 XP)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:34 am

So, what does this mean for CSR points that I transfer over to my Flying blue? Is it the standard 1000 miles / 5 xp?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Seems like the Miles page (buy, transfer etc) is down due to no connection to storefront.points.com. Have been like this for at least some days now, maybe even since the convertion date 1st of April?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
CSR points don't net any XP.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:25 am

Flying blue poll

Hi guys would it be possible for an admin member to setup a poll on whether the new changes to flying blue are a positive or negative change? Maybe we can then pass it to flying blue ?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Tonic27
Hi guys would it be possible for an admin member to setup a poll on whether the new changes to flying blue are a positive or negative change? Maybe we can then pass it to flying blue ?
Do you think they care? It's not about getting people to like it, but about making the most money out of it.
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.