Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE (+1MM), SPG plat
refund ??

No I bought a product I wanted with all of it's advertised bells and horns. I want to keep what I bought not have the vendor steal parts of it back to sell to other customers! A refund is as good as saying - I'll LET THEM out of the contract. No deal.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:08 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Johnathan*SE
An update on where things are at from my end: I've been through the customer relations centre to it's natural conclusion... same as you see above (yes it's an enhancement). I also asked to escalate in the organization and was told there is no further place to go... so now I'm documenting my case for the Canadian Transportation Agency. I'll continue to follow the process until satifsfied or until I have to get a class certified. I'll keep you posted.

Everyone: please continue to contact customer relations and express your discontent. Keep up the pressure.
What number did you call? I called the Elite line, and they directed me to the "web desk" since this is a web product. I explained to the very nice agent, and she was floored....has not heard of this at all.

She is looking as we speak, trying to get me a name and number to call to talk about Pass Products specifically, but can any of you figure out which of these folks would be in charge of this?

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/media/bio/index.html

I was thinking the EVP Customer Experience, but the agent on the phone thinks that means in-flight. At the very least, I would say Ms. Welscheid.

Johnathan*SE - can you post the number you called?
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE (+1MM), SPG plat
How to reach AC customer relations

The easiest way is to use the web form for comments on flights and reservations on the AC web site. Then you get a written record of the customer relations experience that we can use later. Otherwise there is an 866 number as well...but sorry I do not have it handy.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:26 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Avis President's Club
The easiest way is to use the web form for comments on flights and reservations on the AC web site. Then you get a written record of the customer relations experience that we can use later. Otherwise there is an 866 number as well...but sorry I do not have it handy.
Ok thanks.

Heads up: This change came in on the web on Oct 19, and does not hit the call centre system until Nov 13. Feel free to read between the lines for those of you that are in J=2 or J=1 situations.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
A
As it is a change, I think the most fair solution is that if you are no longer satisfied with the terms of the product, you should all be eligible for a full refund on remaining credits.
No that is not an appropriate remedy. They can of course offer that. But one does not have to accept it, and one can insist in sticking to the original deal.

Of course, this is only for people who bought a pass before the change.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE
Bottom line

COS bonus
I have been short changed 5326 status miles so far.

I hold 13 more credits that were purchased prior to the COS rule change. I demand to have my COS that was part of the product that I bought.

J upgrade
I have 13 more credits that were purchased again prior to the J2 rules change. I demand to have my upgrade confirmed if J is greater that 0.

AC can change the rules for NEW PASSES prior to PURCHASE. They can not change the rules for products that have already been sold.

Remedy
The only remedy that I will accept is to grandfather theses benefits for passes purchased prior to the relevant rules change dates. AC got my money up to 12 months prior to my using the credits. It is too bad for them that a 12 month cycle makes it hard to implement changes to the product. NOT MY PROBLEM.

Last edited by fly-yul; Oct 26, 2007 at 11:12 am
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:36 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
No I bought a product I wanted with all of it's advertised bells and horns. I want to keep what I bought not have the vendor steal parts of it back to sell to other customers! A refund is as good as saying - I'll LET THEM out of the contract. No deal.
Not to mention - have you ever tried to get a refund on something other than a Lat or better fare? It's very much less than a straightforward procedure.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:42 am

[QUOTE=fly-yul;8624851]COS bonus

I hold 13 more credits that were purchased prior to the COS rule change. I demand to have my COS that was part of the product that I bought.

J upgrade
I have 13 more credits that were purchased again prior to the J2 rules change. I demand to have my upgrade confirmed if J is greater that 0.

fly-yul et al,

You have not been shortchanged 5326 status miles so far. You received COS bonuses on your flights prior to you being "shortchanged". The COS bonus was never an advertised perk, had it been, then you would have a case.

Yes, it stinks that they would change the upgrade policy on these passes to J>2, but again, they never advertised it as a "guaranteed" upgrade.

golfer
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
So you simply want what they owed you in the first place?

What about the time, effort, and energy you will have expended just getting back what was yours in the first place? I agree for all you pass owners this really stinks.

Passes don't work for my travel patterns but I have recommended them to several others on different occasions because I thought it fit their travel patterns. Thank goodness none of them took my advice!

Originally Posted by fly-yul
COS bonus

J upgrade

AC can change the rules for NEW PASSES prior to PURCHASE. They can not change the rules for products that have already been sold.

Remedy
The only remedy that I will accept is to grandfather theses benefits for passes purchased prior to the relevant rules change dates. AC got my money up to 12 months prior to my using the credits. It is too bad for them that a 12 month cycle makes it hard to implement changes to the product. NOT MY PROBLEM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
I've been thinking about how this new J restriction will play out. Typically when I get the comp upgrade, there are only 1 or 2 empty seats in J by the upgrade window. From my point of view this new policy just made upgrading impossible, at least on my routes. Fine, I'm going to toss about 20 SSWU and SWU at end of year, and I'm only buying flight pass when it's cheaper than buying individual tickets anyway so I don't care in the selfish sense that much today. In the past, one of the great things of flight pass is you could switch to a new flight last minute. In fact I once managed to get onto a flight 5 minutes after it had closed, in J. Now we're stuck playing aerolotto where we once had freedom and ability to confirm. E's and P's on flightpass are really in a tough spot because 1 or 2 SE on the flight and hope for that upgrade is gone. If J=2 or less is really an issue, which it appears to be, then the situation is almost hopeless for E and P. For non-status passengers, upgrades will be as frequent as op-ups I predict.

With J=2 being their choice, it means that on average they get 1-2 walk-up J purchases, which I don't believe anyway. Let's say, for argument they get 1 walk-up J purchase per flight. Let's take a 319 cabin- 14J. The last J seat goes to a cert upgrade from an SE not on flight pass who showed up early to get his upgrade, unlike the flight pass people who have flight pass precisely because of their tight and fluxuating schedule. 12J left. Several are international J connections, a couple paid, a couple AE, and perhaps 3 cert upgrades and 2 pass upgrades - 14J full.

By my count, those who paid premium vs mid vs non-premium fares:
Premium: 3 paid
Mid: 2 pass + 2 cert (SWU/NA)
Low: 2 cert (SSWU) + 3 intl J cnx + 2 AE

If they allowed J=2,1 flight pass upgrades they would have roughly 1J fare (= 2 Lat fares) up front for those last two seats. Instead, they have 1J plus 1 cheap economy ticket there and 2 Lat fares in the back. It's almost no gain except perhaps in getting a J-paying passenger to fly on their airline instead of walking down to the next airline counter. When paying J, the products really aren't too distinguishable in this market so consumers won't care in general. However those paying for Lat fare flight pass will care because they have to pre-invest a large sum of money, pay a high economy fare, and sit in the back when someone with a lower economy fare sits up front (potentially, but likely).

Conclusion: it's a race to the bottom. Picking up that one high-profit customer costs 2 mid-range customers, pre-invested cash, customer good-will, and part of the market segment that does discriminate on product. The paying J customer will jump ship without hesitation, the paying Y customer won't --- unless the airline screws them. Oh wait...
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:04 pm

[QUOTE=golfer;8625071]
COS bonus

J upgrade

fly-yul et al,

You have not been shortchanged 5326 status miles so far. You received COS bonuses on your flights prior to you being "shortchanged". The COS bonus was never an advertised perk, had it been, then you would have a case.

Yes, it stinks that they would change the upgrade policy on these passes to J>2, but again, they never advertised it as a "guaranteed" upgrade.

golfer
We disagree on the COS point. I'm currently waiting to hear back from AC on this issue.

As for the upgrade issue there can be no disagreement.
From AC.com when I purchased the pass "Complimentary upgrades are offered with the Latitude fare option only and are subject to availability of the Executive Class fare (J booking class), "

There is no way out from this clause. If a J booking class is available, they MUST give me the seat.

Originally Posted by anti_ice
So you simply want what they owed you in the first place...
Yes. I'm a reasonable person. In the realm of Customer service I'd start by simply asking for what is mine, as I have done in this case. (I'd also make the information available to others here to benefit from)

But if this leaves the customer service arena and becomes something else, then one must re-evaluate the compensation required.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
[QUOTE=golfer;8625071]
COS bonus

J upgrade

fly-yul et al,

golfer
golfer makes an interesting point about them never advertising it as "guaranteed". We are all aware of that. It was advertised as available and coming out of J class, not J+2 class. Therefore, it is a changed in the T&C. Luckily I only have a few more flights left on my passes that i have already confirmed upgrades with.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:18 pm

[QUOTE=stinger;8625315]
Originally Posted by golfer

golfer makes an interesting point about them never advertising it as "guaranteed". We are all aware of that. It was advertised as available and coming out of J class, not J+2 class. Therefore, it is a changed in the T&C. Luckily I only have a few more flights left on my passes that i have already confirmed upgrades with.
COS --> Again, that is one person's opinion. No more or less valid than mine. I'm still waiting to hear the verdict on this matter from AC. They have not said no to me yet.

J+2 --> Open and shut. T&C said subject to J booking class availability.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
[QUOTE=fly-yul;8625355]
Originally Posted by stinger

COS --> Again, that is one person's opinion. No more or less valid than mine. I'm still waiting to hear the verdict on this matter from AC. They have not said no to me yet.

J+2 --> Open and shut. T&C said subject to J booking class availability.

COS-After I emailed Montie they got back to me and let me know it wasn't coming back. Only a matter of time.

Still can't believe they don't bother to tell anyone. Truly pathetic customer service.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:10 pm

Still can't believe they don't bother to tell anyone. Truly pathetic customer service.
Then you must be a slow learner.

How many times have they reduced and/or eliminated some benefit without telling anyone in the last 7 or 8 years? Ten? Twenty? Fifty?

As usual, I surprised that anyone is surprised. I just always figured it was inevitable. And I'm sure they're not done yet with pass product cutbacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.