Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by montrealer
3. Given the lack of clarity here, likely aversion by AC to litigate about it, and the agency problem inherent in any class action lawsuit, the likely best outcome pass purchasers could hope for would be a settlement including some nonmonetary future-service benefit for those who purchased the pass prior to the change (e.g. a bunch of upgrade certificates for use on future flights) plus AC paying the plaintiffs' lawyers' fees. Put more simply, the lawyers might or might not get rich, and a bunch of us would get a bunch of upgrade certificates of which we already have a pile
And this is exactly what I would want. A class action suit would take years to evolve, a quick solution from AC in the form of compensation with no bad press would be in everyone's best interest.

Last edited by Golden Toque; Oct 27, 2007 at 9:48 am Reason: my poor spelling
Old Oct 27, 2007, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Now that Andrew has brought this to the attention of Senior AC management I suspect and do hope that AC will do the right thing and for "grandfathered passes":
Is AC's IT capable of grandfathering some, but not all, passes? How would it know what was a new pass and what was a previous pass? Seems that this battle may be an all or nothing proposition given the notorious limitations of AC's ITs as nice a compromise as it was, Altaflyer.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by tcook052
How would it know what was a new pass and what was a previous pass?
They know the expiry date, so they know the purchase date.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: AE, AA
Are you harbingers of your own doom?

Interesting observation...just after this thread started I checked the T&Cs for the RapidAir pass on AC's website. It still had the same wording as BB's example. It was only after his became a s**tstorm here that they changed the wording to remove specific reference to J class.

They do listen to us when it's in their best interest.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RSWillson
Interesting observation...just after this thread started I checked the T&Cs for the RapidAir pass on AC's website. It still had the same wording as BB's example. It was only after his became a s**tstorm here that they changed the wording to remove specific reference to J class.

They do listen to us when it's in their best interest.
Of course they will fix whatever the problem is because honestly if there are 2J seats left then it is probably a good business decision to hold those back and they need to make sure their T&C are accurate. They still have to honour the terms under which they sold previous product though and how they accomplish this from an IT perspective is AC's problem - perhaps tell ALL those with old passes to call in for their upgrades (ie. not just those that complain).
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by sing-along
I ask you, are all these acts of an airline that cares and rewards your for your loyalty? I realize some do not have any options as AC is the only service to their city (i.e. YSB/YAM etc). However, let's think of it another way. Would you continue to give your business to a non-airline company that treated you this way?
I appreciate your views on this topic.

However, there is no other industry that I know of that has built-in "something for nothing" at the core of its marketing.

I shop at the same grocery store every week, spending far more with them than I do with any airline. I do not consider myself loyal to them, and I'm quite certain they are not loyal to me in any way. Same goes for the car deal I use and the bank that holds my mortgage.

I remain convinced that frequent travellers would get far less upset about things if they would realize that the airline cares as much about them as the bank, the car dealer, and the grocery store. Any perceived "relationship" is pure marketing on the part of the airline combined with the desired base emotional response on the part of the consumer.

The pass upgrade case is a contractual problem and shouldn't be laden with any further emotional baggage.

Personally I think current pass holders should get J1 upgrades until those passes expire.

I write this as someone who has accumulated miles in the current post-post airline bankruptcy world and long, long after the golden age of flying and reward programs. Perhaps I'm lucky that way.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Now that Andrew has brought this to the attention of Senior AC management I suspect and do hope that AC will do the right thing and for "grandfathered passes":

a) honour the terms of the original contract re: upgrade if J is available;
b) honour the COS bonus even though they are not required to per the contract as a gesture of good will; and
c) provide a certificate upgrade to anyone denied an upgrade due to this change in policy.

Surely the above makes sense from a legal and business perspective. Pissing off your most frequent customers is bad business and their lawyers would tell them they have zero chance in court.

If they do not do the above then I would encourage anyone impacted to contact Porter who would, I am certain, LOVE to sponsor a class action suit as they are apparently is quite keen on legal fights with AC

[now, the quality of Porter's lawyers may be a bit suspect but this is a pretty simple matter ]
Doing the right thing is as simple as ABC!
Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:17 pm

I DO expect them to honour the terms in effect when I gave them 10 thousand dollars even before flying a single flight
I don't.

I probably should, but I don't.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:45 pm

In my eight years of flying Air Canada I have never, ever, not even once, purchased the lowest available fare. Not ever. That is to say on hundreds and hundreds of tickets I have always paid "more," every single time. Sometimes the premium is a few hundred dollars, sometimes it's several thousand.

But as has often been the case, AC regularly shoots themselves in the foot. On my frequent (~5 times a year) flights on YVR-SYD, I used to spend about $4000 per ticket to get a confirmed upgrade at time of booking. But once they all but eliminated I space on that route, I looked for alternatives.

Typically I would wait until only a few days before the flight, and evaluate the J space. If there was lots on or near the date of my planned flight, I'd purchase a cheap but upgradable, changeable, refundable (even with a small penalty) and carefully watch the space. If and when an I space opened up, I upgrade, changing flights and paying a penalty if required, and get my J seat.

If there was no chance of getting an upgrade, then I purchased a full up J class ticket, as I did last December, for $8500. Problem is (for Air Canada at least) I could purchase a full fare J seat for less money on another airline, and actually get a better seat and service than I got on Air Canada.

So AC could have gotten $4000 from me, but instead another airline got $8500. If AC sold that seat that I might have purchased, then perhaps they didn't lose anything. But that would only be the case if that person paid at least as much as I would have. And I suspect they did not.

Last edited by Simon; Oct 29, 2007 at 8:08 am Reason: removed references/response to deleted post
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
If there was no chance of getting an upgrade, then I purchased a full up J class ticket, as I did last December, for $8500. Problem is (for Air Canada at least) I could purchase a full fare J seat for less money on another airline, and actually get a better seat and service than I got on Air Canada.

So AC could have gotten $4000 from me, but instead another airline got $8500. If AC sold that seat that I might have purchased, then perhaps they didn't lose anything. But that would only be the case if that person paid at least as much as I would have. And I suspect they did not.
Thanks, this is strengthening my argument too. When you're forced into a corner and especially paying lots of money you're no-longer a discriminating customer. You look at whoever has the best price and secondarily at whatever additional features you might get if the price happens to be the same AC's enhancements are resulting in a loss of customers who are willing to pay extra for a few customers who are forced to pay extra. Not smart, and annoying to use who are in the willing category.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"Is AC's IT capable of grandfathering some, but not all, passes? How would it know what was a new pass and what was a previous pass? Seems that this battle may be an all or nothing proposition given the notorious limitations of AC's ITs as nice a compromise as it was, Altaflyer."

It would only take a year max from today for this to all work itself out

Last edited by Simon; Oct 28, 2007 at 9:09 am Reason: removed off-topic comment
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Hi all,

I've taken all your feedback and they're currently being reviewed by our senior management team, a communication will be sent out to all current Latitude flight pass holders next week that will address these issues.

Thanks for your patience.

Andrew

I believe Andrew says it all here.He has a lot of feedback from this thread that senior management team will review.

I am optomistic.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simon
But could they not say (and I am not defending AC's actions) - sorry, but the J Booking Class was not available to flight pass users as there must be at least 3 seats available to make it so? There's nothing there that says "availability of J class to be purchased" = "what we deem to make it available to this class of users".

Just as a sidebar, there are lots of folks on this thread talking about suing AC, and who often talk about how AC is constantly violating this, that, the other thing. Have any ever actually done so?

Simon
I tend to agree with Simon's point of view.

I am not agreeing/not agreeing with or defending/not defending AC's actions, but just reading the language would suggest that AC could do that -- and they would not be violating the contract. Besides, there's always the "T&Cs can change" clause which covers them entirely.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should quickly add that if anyone thinks AC has wrongfully changed the T&Cs/the tariff conditions on you, you can always approach the Canadian Transportation Agency after trying to solve the problem directly with AC.

Without prejudging what the Agency might rule, I would suggest you read some of the Agency's previous rulings to get an idea if you have a leg to stand on.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Unfortunately AC made the terms quite clear ---> Executive Class (J Booking class). Had they not specified J booking class then perhaps they could have an out. I suspect having access to J upgrade at ALL times when J is not zero was a major selling point for this product and you just cannot take away this without exposing yourself to liability. The numbers of passes is likely small in the grand scheme of things and the credits will expire. Honour these and move on. I might say, if the disclaimer had a few "red hands" pointing to it and it was in double sized bold print then maybe AC would have a slightly better position, but I think they would still lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.