FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/749634-flight-pass-class-action-lawsuit.html)

Johnathan*SE Oct 24, 2007 3:19 am

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

You know, if there is no penalty to changing the flight pass characteristics or other valuable and entrenched features of the passes regardless of weather they are spelled out in the contracts, then Air Canada will continue to take advantage of us.

The latest: flight pass complementary upgrades are not available as marketing has held back J-class seats in the hopes of selling then on revenue. Essentially changing the terms and conditions on a flight pass by re-interpreting "subject to availability". This is just not right.

This on top of the entrenched and valuable COS bonus that was a take-away this summer and that had existed since the flight pass inception.

I think the class size on this could be quite large and would be excellent leverage. In terms of damages, I would be looking for reinstatement of COS bonus (retro-actively) as well as full access to j-class seats, plus punitive damages for pulling the rug out from customers in the heavy-handed way marketing has hurt pass holders.

We have to take action. Anyone in the legal profession willing to take this on please contribute to this thread. Any other flight pass holders who would be willing to back up these claims with records of your experiences please also chip in. I知 willing to make some financial commitment to kick this off.

I知 angry and I知 not going to take it any more. Join me!

acysb87 Oct 24, 2007 5:46 am

2 recent flights were both upgraded at booking.(last week and Monday this week).

When you speak of most recent change,how recent?

seanthepilot Oct 24, 2007 5:58 am

Ambitious 1st post! Like to see how it's received here.

Welcome to flyertalk... :D

Johnathan*SE Oct 24, 2007 6:29 am

more

I'm told by someone at the SE desk that marketing started this on certain flights on Oct 19th.

In this case I'm talking about the j-class comp upgrade, which you can not do at booking unless you are within 24 (+++24) hours. I'm not referring to I-class (certificate) upgrades here that you could get anytime (SE). I hope that clairifies.

IluvSQ Oct 24, 2007 6:36 am

Since they took away the COS bonus, I just upgrade with cert at time of
booking. As a SE, I have certificates coming out of my ears, with no
real use for them, so may as well use them this way. And do not have
to worry about 24 hour lottery.

But I do not understand - the complimentary u/g always came out of
J class - how can this be zeroed out? Have they changed it so that it
must come out of C class?

Caroline's Rub Oct 24, 2007 7:30 am

Precisely why I only fly AC if there are absolutely no other flights on any other airline available. The rules seem to change daily, and needless to say, always in AC's favor.

In all honesty, I would rather fly Aeroflot than set foot on another AC flight. :eek:

fly-yul Oct 24, 2007 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Johnathan*SE (Post 8612426)
You know, if there is no penalty to changing the flight pass characteristics or other valuable and entrenched features of the passes regardless of weather they are spelled out in the contracts, then Air Canada will continue to take advantage of us.

The latest: flight pass complementary upgrades are not available as marketing has held back J-class seats in the hopes of selling then on revenue. Essentially changing the terms and conditions on a flight pass by re-interpreting "subject to availability". This is just not right.

This on top of the entrenched and valuable COS bonus that was a take-away this summer and that had existed since the flight pass inception.

I think the class size on this could be quite large and would be excellent leverage. In terms of damages, I would be looking for reinstatement of COS bonus (retro-actively) as well as full access to j-class seats, plus punitive damages for pulling the rug out from customers in the heavy-handed way marketing has hurt pass holders.

We have to take action. Anyone in the legal profession willing to take this on please contribute to this thread. Any other flight pass holders who would be willing to back up these claims with records of your experiences please also chip in. I知 willing to make some financial commitment to kick this off.

I知 angry and I知 not going to take it any more. Join me!

The complementary upgrade (24hrs) comes from J inventory. Please provide some proof that this has changed.

As for the removal of the COS bonus in August 2007, I believe that litigation may be required. I'm currently waiting to hear back from AC about getting my COS back for my passes purchased prior to the rule change.

Simon Oct 24, 2007 8:14 am

There's nothing to this that I can see. I class has always been restricted based on availability. There is no "special I class for people using certificates to upgrade flight pass bookings'.

Simon

xray Oct 24, 2007 9:21 am

There may be some truth to this rumor...

No official information but a lead airport agent did mention something about how there is a separate inventory for "flight pass upgrades" than J... I had done the I to J switch with AC Reservations but he was saying that the agent had done this incorrectly ?! I thought he was mistaken but maybe he wasn't...

Without the COS bonus, I just use my certs now.

IluvSQ Oct 24, 2007 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 8613404)
There's nothing to this that I can see. I class has always been restricted based on availability. There is no "special I class for people using certificates to upgrade flight pass bookings'.

Simon

Previously ( and currently AFAIK) , the pass upgrades at the 24 hour window came out of J, not I.
I class is only for certificate upgrades.

yyz_atc_qq Oct 24, 2007 10:04 am

I am a believer that if you use I class to secure your upgrade then you should cough up a cert. No switching to a "J" pass upgrade later. Maybe that would stop people from circumventing the system.

xray Oct 24, 2007 10:20 am

The terms on the website for the upgrade are now very unnecessarily vague...

Complimentary upgrades are offered with the Latitude fare option only and are subject to availability. Seats may not be available on all flights, all days.

If they restrict the upgrades (i.e a number less than J), that's pretty much the end of the pass situation for us...You would never know the chance of the upgrade until you called in 24 hrs before. Using certs, I would just buy Latitude fares because then I could do everything online instead of having to call in everytime I wanted to use a cert. If I=0, I would just buy J or C if I really wanted J...

This seems to be a different situation than the COS bonus as that was never stated in the T&Cs that I can remember...but complimentary upgrades were a given if J space existed.

aaac Oct 24, 2007 10:48 am

Originally Posted by xray (Post 8614154)
...instead of having to call in everytime I wanted to use a cert.

AE is happy to announce that to enhance our flightpass product, we will implement the online upgrade option* for our exclusive flightpass users.

*upgrade may not available on all flight all day

;)

fly-yul Oct 24, 2007 11:12 am

Just booked yul - yyz today on AC 429 AC 425

Tired to upgrade and was not able too even through J=1 on expertflyer.com

And ac.com is still selling seats in J for both flights.

It could be that both flights are in a over-sell and that's why they are not giving away the seats. Can anyone confirm this?

Johnathan*SE Oct 24, 2007 12:20 pm

proof!

Sorry to see you found your own proof. If you want confirmation call the SE desk, they made no secret of it and were quite sympathic to my cause...but they are the messengers, just doing what they are told to do by the evil masters! :) It's so wrong, and yes I'm serious about the class action.