Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly-yul
And yes, for anyone a little late in the know, this is one of the worst, scummiest and probably illegal things that AC has done in a long time. If IT an grandfather in the COS for passes purchased prior to a certain date, then why can't they do the same for upgrade availability?
I think you answered your own question... because they don't want to and feel that they have to put in the capacity control even if they pissing off some of their customers. They obviously feel a strong need to protect revenue from last minute business class travel, which could be considerable when you consider that these J seats may be required for a last minute overseas business travel with a connection. For example, who is going to fork out $10k to fly from Toronto to Sydney if they have to sit in the back to YVR.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
I think you answered your own question... because they don't want to and feel that they have to put in the capacity control even if they pissing off some of their customers. They obviously feel a strong need to protect revenue from last minute business class travel, which could be considerable when you consider that these J seats may be required for a last minute overseas business travel with a connection. For example, who is going to fork out $10k to fly from Toronto to Sydney if they have to sit in the back to YVR.
Yes I agree. And why should AC let a little thing like a contract get in the way of extra reveune.

There is one other reason... By announcing the COS bonus deadline they tricked many people to by the "old" pass. Now that they will manipulate the upgrade availability they still win no matter what. If you think about it, no upgrade = no COS.

Last edited by fly-yul; Dec 9, 2007 at 9:09 am
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC, BA, AS
Here is what AC said to me today.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Latitude Flight Passes

Discussion Thread
Response (Wanda Lepage) - 12/10/2007 12:00 PM
Dear Mr. *****:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate hearing from our valued Latitude Flight Pass customers.

Although Flight Passes are now offered in additional product options such as Tango Plus and in some cases Tango, Latitude Passes remain a preferred choice with our business customers for their full flexibility and other benefits, such as complimentary upgrades to Executive Class within 24 hours of departure. Additional upgrade demand from increasing Latitude Pass sales levels has created some significant pressure on our capability to offer complimentary upgrades up to last seat availability and still provide customers to purchase an Executive Class ticket at the last minute.

In an effort to maintain our ability to capture the full revenue potential of the Executive Class cabin, new online functionality has been introduced in order to set aside a pre-determined number of Executive Class seats (threshold) for last minute purchases. Online complimentary Latitude Pass upgrades will be based on J class availability and processed until the minimum preset threshold has been reached. If you are unable to capture a complimentary upgrade prior to arrival at the airport, you can use a Top Tier upgrade certificate.

While I appreciate and regret that this may disappoint you, this new policy is to be able to accommodate the customer who wishes to purchase an Executive Class ticket or to upgrade their existing revenue ticket to an Executive Class fare.

We appreciate your interest in our Flight Pass program and look forward to serving your travel needs on many future occasions.

Sincerely,

Wanda Lepage
Customer Relations
Flight Pass Representative
Air Canada

Customer (**** *****) - 12/07/2007 12:52 PM
I am considering purchasing a latitude east-west flight pass.

I understand that complimentary upgrades are available, but are limited by capacity.

Please tell me precisely which class (e.g., C, J or other) are avaiable for the upgrade.

This information is required for me to properly assess the value of air canada's offering.

Thank you. A response prior to Monday would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:10 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
This thread started out as a threat to bring a lawsuit.

What happened to the lawsuit... or was it just hot air?

If I was a pass owner, I'd find this pretty unacceptable.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:46 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Typical customer solutions, can't answer a simple question. And its not like its private info, as we do know that it is J=2 that they limit pass upgrades. If AC is looking to make further cuts, they can cut C.S, and we can all email MB, as it seems we have to do so to get anywhere as is.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC*E, Alaska MVP Gold, FPC Premier, SPG Gold
So in other words: "The contract we signed with you is making it hard for us to make as much money as we'd like, so what we'll do is modify the contract illegally in our favor without any consideration to you, our customer."

Why the heck should I care if they don't have inventory for last minute J purchases? How is that our problem? We certainly didn't trick them into giving us upgrades from J...they offered. The comp upgrade is the only reason I bought the Lat pass.

I don't know about a legal battle here, but perhaps the media might be interested in this matter...

Originally Posted by YVR44
Subject
Latitude Flight Passes

Discussion Thread
Response (Wanda Lepage) - 12/10/2007 12:00 PM
Dear Mr. *****:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate hearing from our valued Latitude Flight Pass customers.

Although Flight Passes are now offered in additional product options such as Tango Plus and in some cases Tango, Latitude Passes remain a preferred choice with our business customers for their full flexibility and other benefits, such as complimentary upgrades to Executive Class within 24 hours of departure. Additional upgrade demand from increasing Latitude Pass sales levels has created some significant pressure on our capability to offer complimentary upgrades up to last seat availability and still provide customers to purchase an Executive Class ticket at the last minute.

In an effort to maintain our ability to capture the full revenue potential of the Executive Class cabin, new online functionality has been introduced in order to set aside a pre-determined number of Executive Class seats (threshold) for last minute purchases. Online complimentary Latitude Pass upgrades will be based on J class availability and processed until the minimum preset threshold has been reached. If you are unable to capture a complimentary upgrade prior to arrival at the airport, you can use a Top Tier upgrade certificate.

While I appreciate and regret that this may disappoint you, this new policy is to be able to accommodate the customer who wishes to purchase an Executive Class ticket or to upgrade their existing revenue ticket to an Executive Class fare.

We appreciate your interest in our Flight Pass program and look forward to serving your travel needs on many future occasions.

Sincerely,

Wanda Lepage
Customer Relations
Flight Pass Representative
Air Canada

Customer (**** *****) - 12/07/2007 12:52 PM
I am considering purchasing a latitude east-west flight pass.

I understand that complimentary upgrades are available, but are limited by capacity.

Please tell me precisely which class (e.g., C, J or other) are avaiable for the upgrade.

This information is required for me to properly assess the value of air canada's offering.

Thank you. A response prior to Monday would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by shore9
If AC is looking to make further cuts, they can cut C.S, and we can all email MB, as it seems we have to do so to get anywhere as is.
Soooooo, have you e-mailed MB lately ? What about ? Did you get anywhere ? Based on your comment, are we to assume that he answered you and fully satisfied your request ?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
This thread started out as a threat to bring a lawsuit.

What happened to the lawsuit... or was it just hot air?

If I was a pass owner, I'd find this pretty unacceptable.
This is a valid question. I have b*tched more than most about this issue for the past many weeks. I have written many emails & faxes and have not gotten any response that satisfies my concerns.

However, as of right now I have no damages to act on from a legal point of view. As such I'm planning on waiting until after the change comes into force (jan 8th) to then consider my options. One option would be to force the issue by picking a J < 2 flight and then try to upgrade. Assuming it won't, I then fly and sit in Y. At that point, legally speaking I have an actionable case. Depending on how much I value my time I could then drop by the local small claims court with the required documents and sue. I'm not sure how much to ask for. I could ask for the difference in fare value between the pro-rated cost of one credit and a J class fare for the same flight.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:18 pm

For anyone who isn't aware, a legal action against aeroplan has to be in an Ontario court. I believe it has something to do with where aeroplan is registered to do business.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by NordsFan
Soooooo, have you e-mailed MB lately ? What about ? Did you get anywhere ? Based on your comment, are we to assume that he answered you and fully satisfied your request ?
I emailed customer solutions with more of a suggestion than a complaint. Not going to bother MB, it shouldn't have to be taken to that kind of level.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
I emailed customer solutions with more of a suggestion than a complaint. Not going to bother MB, it shouldn't have to be taken to that kind of level.

Typical s9 answer. So why did you say this then ?:

we can all email MB, as it seems we have to do so to get anywhere as is.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
For anyone who isn't aware, a legal action against aeroplan has to be in an Ontario court. I believe it has something to do with where aeroplan is registered to do business.
In the above scenario I would be suing AC which is the entity that sold me the flight pass. This has nothing to do with AE. And since last time I checked AC was based at 5100, BOULEVARD DE MAISONNEUVE OUEST, and I reside in Montreal, I'd file in Montreal just fine...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.