Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Pass - Class Action Lawsuit!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Simon
Based on what I have seen, very few have voted with their wallets. A lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth and then skulking onto the same old planes as before.

Simon

Planes are full,waitlists on most of the flights I am on,prices are high.

Supply and demand is playing out to the best.(not to digress,just look at retailers in Canada who have not yet adapted to the rise in Canadian dollar).

As many note,the wheel turns.I have a long memory.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
I'll still be flying AC - I have little choice really. But I won't be purchasing any more non-refundable pass products, because I have no reason to trust that AC won't eliminate or water down the features I wanted after I've paid for it.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by acysb87
Planes are full,waitlists on most of the flights I am on,prices are high.

Supply and demand is playing out to the best.(not to digress,just look at retailers in Canada who have not yet adapted to the rise in Canadian dollar).

As many note,the wheel turns.I have a long memory.
appears AC does not have a long memory however.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
more data

Just to follow-up and not jump to conclusion without some actual data:

I booked the following with my rapidair lat pass today.

AC 439 J1 Z1 ---> no upgrade available

AC 1123 J3 Z0 ---> upgrade worked

Seems to fit the pattern of a minimum number of J and has nothing to do with Z.

Yes, we are all getting screwed yet again...
Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:02 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Defecting from Aeroplan doesn't mean never flying AC

While not affected by this pass benefit revision, I have quietly decided...
...to start pushing my future *A miles to UA MP...
I agree. When enough is enough, move the miles to credit elsewhere.

...very few have voted with their wallets. A lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth and then skulking onto the same old planes as before.
Not so much about refusing to fly AC anymore...
It's summed up perfectly by the post below. By flying AC and crediting elsewhere, we still can fly where we need to when we need to.
Defecting from Aeroplan and refusing to fly Air Canada would be like shooting ourselves in the foot.
If I choose to toss Aeroplan, I still reserve the right to fly AC when it warrants or is convenient. We've still got upgrade certs, lounge access, etc.

I'll still be flying AC - I have little choice really.
Agreed. In many cases, AC is still the best choice in certain circumstances. We may fly other carriers. We may opt for Tango fares or stop buying the passes.
Doesn't mean we have to take their program and service 'enhancements'.

I collect in 3 frequent flyer programs... and new ones join the Alliance every year.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I agree. When enough is enough, move the miles to credit elsewhere.

Not so much about refusing to fly AC anymore...
It's summed up perfectly by the post below. By flying AC and crediting elsewhere, we still can fly where we need to when we need to.
Defecting from Aeroplan and refusing to fly Air Canada would be like shooting ourselves in the foot.
If I choose to toss Aeroplan, I still reserve the right to fly AC when it warrants or is convenient. We've still got upgrade certs, lounge access, etc.

Agreed. In many cases, AC is still the best choice in certain circumstances. We may fly other carriers. We may opt for Tango fares or stop buying the passes.
Doesn't mean we have to take their program and service 'enhancements'.

I collect in 3 frequent flyer programs... and new ones join the Alliance every year.
All true comments, Allot of my flying is down to OZ so in this instance my choice is now greater with AIRNZ starting via YVR, I'm also hoping V Airlines (Virgin Blue) will come on board with *Star then I will have even more choice. Here's hoping.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:54 pm

Ahhhh... and I'm 70% of the way to AA Platinum, and oneworld status.

But more particularly, why wouldn't AC keep cutting and cutting and cutting and cutting and... Oh wait! They have been. I guess it's just that no one noticed.

And yet the info pages on passes says terms and conditions of can be changed at any time, without advance notice.
So I suppose that if AC said that flight pass credits were now only vaild on segments less than 250 miles long, they are subject to a $1000 per segment fuel surcharge, and that they now book into S class but are only available if S>8, that would be OK too?

Courts and long and frequently held that such caveats carry no weight, especially when cash has changed hands. In fact they typically rule that that term is void (as opposed to voidable) and sometime even rule that the entire contract if void, in which case AC may be required to refund the entire purchase price.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:23 pm

I wonder how AC will spin this to say "It's not our fault."
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I wonder how AC will spin this to say "It's not our fault."
I'm guessing the word enhanced may be used.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm guessing the word enhanced may be used.
You don't have to guess at that one.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Just to follow-up and not jump to conclusion without some actual data:

I booked the following with my rapidair lat pass today.

AC 439 J1 Z1 ---> no upgrade available

AC 1123 J3 Z0 ---> upgrade worked

Seems to fit the pattern of a minimum number of J and has nothing to do with Z.

Yes, we are all getting screwed yet again...
So I got screwed by this already. Last night I was forced to choose between overnighting in a hotel or taking a red-eye in Y even though there were J seats. I said I wouldn't buy a flight pass again but I got cornered where I needed to buy some flights and a flight pass was a cheaper way of buying 3 flights than the cost at the time I needed them. So I'm on a freeish ticket now, but I still got screwed. This would not have happened to me 2 weeks ago. Way to treat a customer who has flown over 60 AC metal segments, mostly long-haul, already this year AC.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Machdiamond
If they are still available when boarding starts, they should upgrade those holding Lat flight passes ahead of certificate holders and everybody will be happy.
Especially cert holders not on passes.

This whole thing makes me happy that I've never invested in a pass. One more reason not to start now.

FWIW, I'm not a lawyer but I think this is something that would fly as a class action lawsuit.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sebring
And yet the info pages on passes says terms and conditions of can be changed at any time, without advance notice. Except nobody ever pays attention to that and assumes that terms and conditions aren't allowed to be changed.
Hmm... I don't think I would hire you as a lawyer.

That wording is pure intimidation. Just there to chase the innocents away, but with absolutely no teeth.

Would never stand in court. Repeat after me: "a contract that is not a contract is not a contract."

In other words: you cannot change a contract after it is entered upon, period. So, any clause that says otherwise is void. No matter what the nice BS you put on your web page. Arguably for AC to say things like these is just plain dishonest/unethical. But then, surely if was crafted by their lawyers. And obviously they know.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by tcook052
While not affected by this pass benefit revision, I have quietly decided after empting out my AP account in recent weeks to start pushing my future *A miles to UA MP as I felt the time has come to try something else.
Are you really going to put your AKL miles into UA when those 24000 miles will give you *G for 2008 (assuming you will position yourself using a *A carrier and assuming your 11k AC miles are status miles credited to AP)?

I'm all for going to whatever airline or program provides the most benefit, but the choice between UA nothing and AC*E seems pretty obvious to me.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sebring
And yet the info pages on passes says terms and conditions of can be changed at any time, without advance notice. Except nobody ever pays attention to that and assumes that terms and conditions aren't allowed to be changed.
Terms and conditions are allowed to change *before* a contract is entered upon. Not after.

So yes, they can change without advance notice for *new* purchases. Not for existing passholders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.