Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, this is an interesting scenario. It may well be that AC did not change anything to their site but that somehow, a great many people inadvertently updated some browser component (with this "automatic update" feature, which is ideal to get viruses, spyware and the like). And that the updated browser component is broken, or that somehow, given that AC designs around the idisyncracies of the MS browser instead of the standards, some bug fix in the updated component broke the AC site.

In any event, using Firefox (on Linux, but that should make no difference), I don't have a problem. I wonder if anyone else *NOT* using IE has a problem? (I love the irony here. Especially given their claim that their site is designed to be compatible with IE, and their offensive/arrogant warning whereby *my* browser is incompatible.)

Textbook case on how not to do business on the web, anyway. Especially given how long this seems to have been going on with no solution. Heads should roll. Heads should roll. Except, I have the nagging suspicion they won't.

Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I've tried logging on the 'normal' way with several of my computers all with IE and it still doesn't work. Also tried Firefox on my PC, Safari on my wife's Mac, and the browser on my Blackberry - nope. No joy either with IE on the computer in the MLL in YYZ T2 yesterday. I'm pretty sure it isn't a browser problem!

I can't believe they've let this go on for so long.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's sheer incompetence...
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
yup. i just tried IE and it did not work. tried firefox, and of course it works. a few moments later tried IE again and it now works. looks like we back to normal.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I've been getting that processing error alot now... not just booking flights on ac.com, but also to book reward flights on ae.com... it took me three tries yesterday to book a W reward for a friend online because that stupid error message came up over and over (in case you are wondering, I did not time out my session).

I think this is futile... ac.com will never improve. It sucks more than my industrial strength vacuum.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by ETStar
ac.com works just fine....
I disagree. The login doesn't work and hasn't worked for a couple of weeks now other than by a work around. Banks and credit cards have security requirements that are as great or greater than AC, but don't have this outage.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I agree with your disagree. Still doesn't work for either me or Mrs. Tax Dude.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by YOWser
Me too. I'm trying to use my flight-pass and there is no back door.
The back door should work for flight passes as well. Try it.
1) Start a dummy booking
2) Sign in, but do not complete the booking
3) Go to home page
4) Go to View/Change my Bookings
5) Go to My Flight Passes tab
and you're there.

If you skip step #4 and try to go to flight passes directly from home page, it will not work.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ETStar
ac.com works just fine. The only thing is that it is very limiting, in terms of giving you the flexibility to book what you want, and unfortunately you do see the limitations right in front of you through the automatic disabling of radio buttons that you could press etc. User friendly, yet aggravating.
What have you been smoking? Read the previous posts.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually, this is an interesting scenario. It may well be that AC did not change anything to their site but that somehow, a great many people inadvertently updated some browser component (with this "automatic update" feature, which is ideal to get viruses, spyware and the like). And that the updated browser component is broken, or that somehow, given that AC designs around the idisyncracies of the MS browser instead of the standards, some bug fix in the updated component broke the AC site.
Interesting, but not likely. See my previous post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...74#post5213574 .
Login from same browser attempted into two different AP accounts. One worked, one did not.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: AC*E, PC*Plat, IC*RoyalAmb
Here's my lastest problem... I have difficulties only when trying to upgrade the return segment with my flight pass. I can login fine all the time and I never have a problem upgrading the outbound segment online. But whenever I try to upgrade the return segment I get a technical error and the instruction to call the web technical support line. Which I do and the person in India asks me the read them the error message, which I do, and then they tell me that someone in reservations will have to process the upgrade manually and they transfer the call. This has happened four trips in a row. So far I haven't had a problem with getting the upgrade done by the agent(beyond more waiting on hold). But last week I arrived at the airport and tried to check in at the kiosk. It told me I had a paper ticket (which would be difficult as it's an electronic flight pass). I checked in with an agent and explained my problem. She furiously typed away for what seemed like 5 minutes and then demanded a upgrade cert. After I explained my situation again and we argued back and forth again she handed over my J boarding pass.

I love the flight pass concept (although losing the City Passes makes it less useful for me). But these IT problems are getting ridiculous and costing me time on the phone and in the airport. At some point it just won't be worth the hassle unless they can fix things up.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue2002
Interesting, but not likely. See my previous post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...74#post5213574 .
Login from same browser attempted into two different AP accounts. One worked, one did not.
That is interesting.

Have you tried again removing all cookies?

I still think that they are mainly the victims of them trying to make things way too complicated. That in a simple, standard situation, things will work, but that the set of different combinations is so large that (1) they can't test them all and (2) conflicts will occur.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Poco
Here's my lastest problem... I have difficulties only when trying to upgrade the return segment with my flight pass. I can login fine all the time and I never have a problem upgrading the outbound segment online. But whenever I try to upgrade the return segment I get a technical error and the instruction to call the web technical support line. Which I do and the person in India asks me the read them the error message, which I do, and then they tell me that someone in reservations will have to process the upgrade manually and they transfer the call. This has happened four trips in a row. So far I haven't had a problem with getting the upgrade done by the agent(beyond more waiting on hold). But last week I arrived at the airport and tried to check in at the kiosk. It told me I had a paper ticket (which would be difficult as it's an electronic flight pass). I checked in with an agent and explained my problem. She furiously typed away for what seemed like 5 minutes and then demanded a upgrade cert. After I explained my situation again and we argued back and forth again she handed over my J boarding pass.

I love the flight pass concept (although losing the City Passes makes it less useful for me). But these IT problems are getting ridiculous and costing me time on the phone and in the airport. At some point it just won't be worth the hassle unless they can fix things up.

Given that with flight passes, you book individual segments, I have a hard time making sense of this? Maybe that it affected your returns was fortuitous?

(But yes, if an agent processes your upgrade, it will be considered a regular, cert-based one. I had a similar situation some time ago. Missed the 25% bonus too.)
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
Given that with flight passes, you book individual segments, I have a hard time making sense of this? Maybe that it affected your returns was fortuitous?

(But yes, if an agent processes your upgrade, it will be considered a regular, cert-based one. I had a similar situation some time ago. Missed the 25% bonus too.)
I'm assuming that poco upgraded his pass flight in advance and used the kiosk to check-in which is where his/her issue started.

You are assuming that poco's pass flight was not upgraded in advance.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm assuming that poco upgraded his pass flight in advance and used the kiosk to check-in which is where his/her issue started.

You are assuming that poco's pass flight was not upgraded in advance.

Actually, I was assuming he was describing an attempt to upgrade in advance on the Internet.

Would the kiosk direct him to the web technical support line? I would think to the triangle? BTW, with passes, are upgrades supposed to be doable at checkin or only on the Internet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.