Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by seegs
Getting an error message yesterday and today when clicking "Book" after the space shows up. Messages vary from unable to make booking due to live changes of availability to random codes telling me to call in to report.

I bit the bullet, called into the centre to book the tickets and they could also not book it. She said the entire week I was looking 2 seats were available for my itinerary but it would not take.

Anyone experienced this before? Is it phantom space or truly an error?
Air Canada or Aeroplan?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Air Canada or Aeroplan?
Aeroplan
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
I searched each segment of the itinerary separately and only one is not allowing to book, which is YYZ-MUC in Premium Econ. I looked on different days that week and that same YYZ-MUC flight is listed as available but gets an error message when trying to book.

Should I just wait and see or can I be more proactive somehow?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
It seems AC only remind you of check in not based on the first leg, but the depature time of the last leg??

Which genius built that rule based engine for them lawl
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
It seems AC only remind you of check in not based on the first leg, but the depature time of the last leg??
Which is consistent with what they tell you about wen you can check in. although often it does work earlier.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Which genius built that rule based engine for them lawl
What makes you say that? Check-in e-mails aren't sent at consistent times. Sometimes they arrive pretty close to T-24, but sometimes much less than that, even for a simple one-segment itinerary.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What makes you say that? Check-in e-mails aren't sent at consistent times. Sometimes they arrive pretty close to T-24, but sometimes much less than that, even for a simple one-segment itinerary.
Because mine check in email was sent nearly at the same time as my departure time for the second leg?

Departure at 17:00 , email received at 17:05.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Because mine check in email was sent nearly at the same time as my departure time for the second leg?

Departure at 17:00 , email received at 17:05.
I can’t think of a single instance where I haven’t been able to check in for a flight including connections. I’m sure there are times where others have had problems checking in for all segments, but I’ve never had that happen to me.

I think what you experienced was a typically late check-in reminder
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
I can’t think of a single instance where I haven’t been able to check in for a flight including connections. I’m sure there are times where others have had problems checking in for all segments, but I’ve never had that happen to me.

Guess it's just a coincidence then :/
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

When I flew ZRH-YYZ-SFO, I was not able to check in 24 hours before ZRH-YYZ. It started working around T-22 or so.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mixed bag. Often it does not work 24 hours before your first flight, but it does quite a bit before 24 hours ahead of the last connection. Requires the connections to be open for check in, which is not typically very consistent.

But the latter is more or less the advertised rule so that's what they base these e-mails on. Which maes sense.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
When I flew ZRH-YYZ-SFO, I was not able to check in 24 hours before ZRH-YYZ. It started working around T-22 or so.
I think this might have been covered in that other theoretical discussion about 60's-era IT architecture. If you were the first one to try and check-in, it would fail, but kick of the batch job to setup the airport systems.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
If you were the first one to try and check-in, it would fail, but kick of the batch job to setup the airport systems.
Lol watt
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
Mixed bag. Often it does not work 24 hours before your first flight, but it does quite a bit before 24 hours ahead of the last connection. Requires the connections to be open for check in, which is not typically very consistent.

But the latter is more or less the advertised rule so that's what they base these e-mails on. Which maes sense.
That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. I understand some people cannot check in before their connection hits T-24; @canadiancow has given an example above.

What I'm saying is I've never had this problem. Never, as in I've been able to check in to all flights on a journey at T-24 every single time. And I don't recall ever getting a 0001 sequence number on the connecting boarding pass, so I'm not the only one checking in for a flight way before T-24 hours.

What I consistently get, as in every single time, is a check-in reminder from AC that lands in my inbox a certain amount of time -- ranging from tens of minutes to several hours -- after I've already checked in, much like Adam Smith was describing. I'll also occasionally get check-in reminders for flights I've changed, flights I've cancelled or flights that have been cancelled.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I think this might have been covered in that other theoretical discussion about 60's-era IT architecture. If you were the first one to try and check-in, it would fail, but kick of the batch job to setup the airport systems.
Nah, I tried a couple times between T-24 and when I was finally able to do it. It was not the second attempt.

That's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. I understand some people cannot check in before their connection hits T-24; @canadiancow has given an example above.

What I'm saying is I've never had this problem. Never, as in I've been able to check in to all flights on a journey at T-24 every single time. And I don't recall ever getting a 0001 sequence number on the connecting boarding pass, so I'm not the only one checking in for a flight way before T-24 hours.
For the record, I think it's only been a problem for me once. Every other time, it's T-24 from my first segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.