Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Accelerate Your Way to Status (for 2023) - 2022 promo [see wiki if promo not posted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
Q: For the May-September Europe portion of this promo, which flights does it apply to?
sub-Q1: Does it apply to flights to and from Europe?
A: Yes, both. Initially, AC's English-language was somewhat confusing and only mentioned flights "to" Europe, but it was later clarified that both to and from qualify.
sub-Q2: Does it apply on all flights on a booking to/from Europe?
A: No, only the flights that touch Europe will count. So, for example, on a YYC-YYZ-FCO booking, only YYZ-FCO would qualify for the bonus. Note: that the flight must be operated by AC to qualify for the promo.

Q: If I buy a fare that earns 150% SQM, will I receive 250% or 300%?
A: You will receive 300%.

The first sweep only had the 100% bonus applied to the base rate, and not the COS bonus, so in this instance, you would receive 250%. They are now retroactively adding the COS bonus, and nearly everyone seems to have received it. The second sweep applied the 100% bonus to the total, so you would receive 300% right away.

Q: Has anyone received the 5k SQM, 5 SQS, 500 SQD from Part 1 yet?
A:
Yes, but not everyone. Those began to post June 2, and were back-dated to April 20th in Aeroplan's list of activities.

Q: Has anyone received the bonus on Europe flights after April 30?
A:
Yes, but not everyone.

Q: Okay, then what is the most recent date for a Europe flight that has credited?
A: Sept 29, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Accelerate Your Way to Status (for 2023) - 2022 promo [see wiki if promo not posted]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I've had some form of status since 2010 - I can't remember getting any significant number of promotional SQM/SQD prior to last year. So this is truly unprecedented, and isn't likely to persist.

It's hard to tell what the target population is - maybe leisure travellers, as they think business travel will be slower to recover? I can't imagine there's much business TATL traffic over the summer.

Most of my travel is leisure, or to/from medical meetings (paid for myself) and I've gone from E50 or E75 for a decade, to now likely going to be close to 200k SQM this year.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
I don't think there have been AQD promos before, but the last time there were really amazing promos would have been early-mid 2000s. Need a solid recession to get cheap status. AQDs haven't been around long enough to factor in (but based on this promo are clearly up for consideration when they need to drum up business.
Keep in mind that the minimum spend requirement has not been around that long. SQD/AQD is a relatively recent addition to the yearly requirement.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I had to look at my flight diary for promotions as it's hard to remember everything. Back in 2015 I did a YVR-KHG flight where there was a promotion of bonus AP miles from HK and I recall it was a nice promotion. That same year AC gave an additional 3,000 for YVR-HNL flights also. I remember some promotions that included miles towards MM, and HKS was one of them, there were many.

This was back in the day before SQD when some F/F flew United or other star alliance partners to keep SE as it was cheaper than flying AC. Before there were just promotions and if you happened to be flying that route on those days you win, then they started with you need to registerer for a specific promotion. There were promotions that included miles and points that even qualified for MM, I only wish I knew then what I know now! There were a lot of promotions and then the evolution of today's program slowly started to evolve including SQD as AC said if we are paying for these benefits, then those F/F need to pay AC for them. AC was just following in the footsteps of other airlines, I recall the big move to United or Aegean to keep affordable Gold status by some.

Since Covid AC has been doing some sort of promotion almost every week. The program is a lot different than pre covid and even different from even five to seven years ago.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't recall any SQD (AQD) promos pre-COVID.
I can only remember one. AC pilots went on strike in September 1998. When they returned, AC offered triple qualifying miles. I flew paid J to FRA and earned 36K miles.
BlondeBomber and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by 172pilot
I can only remember one. AC pilots went on strike in September 1998. When they returned, AC offered triple qualifying miles. I flew paid J to FRA and earned 36K miles.
I can relate, first year I ever made SE (and been one in every year since) -- as detailed in Triple Q Miles and my Heading for SE -- the heady days of SuperElite and outrageous (good) promos!
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 172pilot
That wasn't SQD. Even its predecessor, AQD, wouldn't exist for more than 15 years after that.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: AC SE
I know this was mentioned up thread, but does anyone have any clarity if the 100% bonus is on the entire route to Europe, or the leg to Europe. (eg should I book yyc-yyz-man on AC metal, or yyc-fra-man because the ac leg to Europe is longer?)
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yeg2where
I know this was mentioned up thread, but does anyone have any clarity if the 100% bonus is on the entire route to Europe, or the leg to Europe. (eg should I book yyc-yyz-man on AC metal, or yyc-fra-man because the ac leg to Europe is longer?)
If anyone "knew", it would have been posted.

I'd bet a finger that the promo is applied on a segment by segment basis, so the rest of the PNR is irrelevant.
This is based on having watched and participated in numerous promotions over the last decade.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: AC SE
This is based on having watched and participated in numerous promotions over the last decade.
Yeah - was thinking its typical AC to push me to take a route with fewer AC metal miles to hedge for a better total miles with the bonus...
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
If I get a credit from a cancelled flight and then use it to book another flight, will I still be eligible for the double SQD?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Duff76
If I get a credit from a cancelled flight and then use it to book another flight, will I still be eligible for the double SQD?
Yes.
Duff76 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
I can relate, first year I ever made SE (and been one in every year since) -- as detailed in Triple Q Miles and my Heading for SE -- the heady days of SuperElite and outrageous (good) promos!
Yes - back in the days when you’d read about the promos in ads in the Globe and Mail - on paper. !
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:07 pm

You didn't even really need promos. The SIN run was a staple for making SE. YVR-SFO-NRT-SIN on UA in Y. 7 hours in the windowless transit hotel and back the next morning. About $700 at 100% mileage earning. Brutal. Or you just booked AC to HKG through Destina
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Aaaah….Destina 😂
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Aaaah….Destina 😂
I thought a couple on here might remember, Blondebomber?
BlondeBomber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.