Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as PRs) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as its a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • No, they will remain as they were when you earned them.
  • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR, which type will I receive?
    • The PR you earn at that time will be based on your eligibility for the status you held at the time you crossed the threshold - not the new status

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as theyre eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a rewards available or credits and discounts overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
Print Wikipost

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020 | 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited2M15 Years on Site

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by ac/elite
Has there been anything at all disclosed about what happens to our current unused SE Priority Rewards? Worthless after Nov 8th? I still have 9 of them, but if they'll disappear on Nov 8th and not be converted into the new ones or some other benefit in lieu, then I'll go ahead and book some flights and just cancel for free if I can't use them.
If I were you I'd be using most/all of them by Nov 8.
Old Sep 23, 2020 | 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
If you're able to plan out 7 trips for me to take in the next 6 weeks, on AC metal, I'd like your help
Old Sep 23, 2020 | 7:23 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev
Youre probably right. Interesting that on the Altitude website it still says that they expire in Feb 2021.
Old Sep 25, 2020 | 12:02 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ac/elite
Has there been anything at all disclosed about what happens to our current unused SE Priority Rewards? Worthless after Nov 8th? I still have 9 of them, but if they'll disappear on Nov 8th and not be converted into the new ones or some other benefit in lieu, then I'll go ahead and book some flights and just cancel for free if I can't use them.
I received this email posted below from Customer Service a few minutes ago. This was in response to a very specific question I asked as to whether there would be any value in unused Priority Rewards from the current program once the new program takes effect or, alternatively, whether there would be any benefit offered in lieu for unused Priority Rewards which have no value after Nov 8th.
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up email.

The current version of the Priority Rewards will be discontinued on November 8 with the launch of the new loyalty program, as there will no longer be distinction between Classic Fixed Mileage versus Market fare.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX
Executive Centre
Customer Relations

Old Oct 31, 2020 | 1:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
With apologies, I am going to ask a frustrating question that is a) probably already answered and b) highly subjective. I ask though because I respect the opinions of many here.

Would like to to book a pair of reward tix from YVR-YYZ return in mid-December. I have lots of priority rewards left. Its for family and Im considering booking in I.

Should I do this now or 9 days from now? I cant get a clear picture of the pros/cons because Ive been out of the game and Im dumb as a post.

Cheers in advance.
WTME
Old Oct 31, 2020 | 1:55 pm
50 Countries Visited3M80 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: AC-SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Well, you know what the rules are now, its 25K for Y and you have priority rewards so you know what to expect. After Nov 8th there will be static pricing so some flights will be more than 25K and some will be less than 25K (maybe) depending on demand.

I played it safe and took two YOW-YVR flights this month as I have priority rewards and I knew it was only 25K for Y. I picked the best times and the loads that were light and went, 25K & $107 per round trip, I thought it was a good deal. I am spending this weekend looking at dates next year and using 25K for these flights.

There are a lot of unknowns and the special 50% discount passes for Elites etc sounds great, but 50% off a much higher redemption, like AC sales, are sometimes, may not be so great.

You have 8 days to decide minus the days they say you can't book because of the transition!

Good luck
Old Oct 31, 2020 | 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
With apologies, I am going to ask a frustrating question that is a) probably already answered and b) highly subjective. I ask though because I respect the opinions of many here.

Would like to to book a pair of reward tix from YVR-YYZ return in mid-December. I have lots of priority rewards left. Its for family and Im considering booking in I.

Should I do this now or 9 days from now? I cant get a clear picture of the pros/cons because Ive been out of the game and Im dumb as a post.

Cheers in advance.
WTME
Definitely book now.

1) It is not entirely clear yet how exactly current priority rewards will be handled, so let's assume that they will expire on Nov. 8.
2) Under the new program, priority rewards will get you a 50% discount, but you only get a much more limited number of priority rewards, and you need to redeem a reward for each passenger. Furthermore, there is no additional/improved award availability for SEs.
3) In the unlikely event that you see a cheaper award after Nov. 8, you can simply canel your old award booking and rebook.
Old Oct 31, 2020 | 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plumber
Do you (or anybody else) have any new or updated information on what will happen to the current SE Priority Rewards? I have 8 remaining that I assume will expire Nov 8. Any talk of those converting to additional 50% off codes for rewards under the new Aeroplan?

Just trying to decide if I should use some of them in the next week on speculative (fully cancellable) bookings. If they will die Nov 8 , I could probably burn through all of them.

Thanks.
They expire.

Cheers in advance.
WTME
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
3) In the unlikely event that you see a cheaper award after Nov. 8, you can simply canel your old award booking and rebook.
This is how I answer all these questions. Worst case scenario, refund it, for free, after the new program launches.

Just book it now.
Old Oct 31, 2020 | 3:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
2) Under the new program, priority rewards will get you a 50% discount, but you only get a much more limited number of priority rewards, and you need to redeem a reward for each passenger.
(Emphasis mine)

And this will be particularly difficult for anyone with a large family. A round trip booking for, say, eight people, could previously be done using one Priority Reward, but now will require eight. Not that this will be a problem for someone like WaytoomuchEurope who doesn't have very many kids
Old Oct 31, 2020 | 3:54 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold

Cheers in advance.
WTME
If you are SE, you can always book and cancel (for free) if the award space available after Nov 8 is at a lower number of miles. It seems unlikely that award space close to the travel date is going to be available at the lowest number of miles. I have made a number of bookings that I have cancelled over time due to travel restrictions and what not. It seems to make sense to book what you want now when you can always cancel it down the road.
Old Nov 3, 2020 | 2:16 am
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
The AP website giving me all kinds of issues trying to book before the Nov 6 deadline. But i did mange to get the below trips booked.

I want to use up my Priority Rewards, so proactively booked, all from YOW:

Dec 3-10 Turks & Caicos
Dec 26-Jan 6 Tampa, Florida
March 6-19 Quito, Ecuador
June 21-July 11- Osaka/Tokyo

Looking to add SJO at end of Jan or early Feb.

All in J, all with 3 or 4 PAX per PNR.

We will see what the new program brings, but the above 4 bookings would require me to use 14 x 50% off codes in the new program, and only required 4 Priority Rewards now.
Old Nov 3, 2020 | 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Plumber
The AP website giving me all kinds of issues trying to book before the Nov 6 deadline. But i did mange to get the below trips booked.

I want to use up my Priority Rewards, so proactively booked, all from YOW:

Dec 3-10 Turks & Caicos
Dec 26-Jan 6 Tampa, Florida
March 6-19 Quito, Ecuador
June 21-July 11- Osaka/Tokyo

Looking to add SJO at end of Jan or early Feb.

All in J, all with 3 or 4 PAX per PNR.

We will see what the new program brings, but the above 4 bookings would require me to use 14 x 50% off codes in the new program, and only required 4 Priority Rewards now.
You will be getting out of quarantine with 2 days grace before heading off to Tampa??
(applies only if you are part of all those bookings :-) )
Old Nov 4, 2020 | 1:50 am
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by acysb87
You will be getting out of quarantine with 2 days grace before heading off to Tampa??
(applies only if you are part of all those bookings :-) )
Yes correct...

In quarantine in Taipei now... Will be back in Canada mid Nov. and out of quaratine 3 days before Turks... then 2 days out of quarantine to Tampa...

Sucker for punishment... should be interesting, but could change/cancel these AC flights depending on what I see from Aeroplan on Nov 8.
Old Nov 9, 2020 | 6:15 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AC E75K
I haven't followed the new program details that closely, but am I correct in concluding that the new Priority Rewards have nothing to do with what used to be called Priority Rewards (aka. IKK) in the old program? I now only have 5 (of the new ones) whereas I had 10 (of the old ones) before the switch.
Old Nov 9, 2020 | 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by capedreamer
I haven't followed the new program details that closely, but am I correct in concluding that the new Priority Rewards have nothing to do with what used to be called Priority Rewards (aka. IKK) in the old program? I now only have 5 (of the new ones) whereas I had 10 (of the old ones) before the switch.
Correct.

The new "priority rewards" essentially are 50% off codes that are valid for Y/PE/J and US/Canada, NA or int'l depending on your status level.

Each "priority award is valid for one pax for one booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.