Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as “PRs”) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD – up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as it’s a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR which type will I receive

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as they’re eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a “rewards available” or “credits and discounts” overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
      Print Wikipost

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:56 am
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
      Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
      I don't get it how folks can say the new priority rewards are an improvement. Priority Rewards as they've been described are a massive devaluation for SEs. Worldwide IKK in J for up to ten redemptions on AC metal at the old chart vs. maybe 5 redemptions at 50% off dynamic pricing? What's clear about Aeroplan now is it's not really about frequent fliers, but rather a generic credit card loyalty program rewarding high spend/revenue attached to an airline. For people like me, it's a huge improvement but I can't imagine the top-revenue SEs are excited over these changes at all. And we haven't even seen the 2021 Aeroplan Elite chart yet, who knows what else is getting cut?
      The majority of my IKK usage has been placeholders on miniRTWs that end up not having any AC metal by the time I fly.

These do not have dynamic pricing under the new program. These do not depend on any AC availability. 50% off is awesome.

It just means I might have to pick slightly worse placeholder flights.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 30, 2021 at 12:27 am Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
      I use IKK to fly my family around in Y on full expensive domestic flights. Like YUL-YYJ at Xmas. I used roundtrips and put my sister, brother in law, and niece on the same PNR. How many 50% off vouchers would that use up?

I figured that benefit was worth maybe $5k per year to me. It also made a great Xmas gift that cost me not much. I usually expire half of my IKKs.
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
      The majority of my IKK usage has been placeholders on miniRTWs that end up not having any AC metal by the time I fly.

These do not have dynamic pricing under the new program. These do not depend on any AC availability. 50% off is awesome.

It just means I might have to pick slightly worse placeholder flights.
      Good example of how varying the changes are for each individual flyer. In my case IKK is used for last minute flights (or holiday periods) when there is very rarely partner availability or the required AC feeder.

The 50% off can still be used in those situations but I imagine it will end up costing more than the fixed IKK price and it's a big reduction from the 10 per year previously. I would often book multiple people per booking, and used up the full IKK allotment every year.
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
      Originally Posted by Nitehawk
      I use IKK to fly my family around in Y on full expensive domestic flights. Like YUL-YYJ at Xmas. I used roundtrips and put my sister, brother in law, and niece on the same PNR. How many 50% off vouchers would that use up?

I figured that benefit was worth maybe $5k per year to me. It also made a great Xmas gift that cost me not much. I usually expire half of my IKKs.
      One voucher PER Ticket Per PAX for the vouchers vs the old which was one Priority Reward per PNR which meant you could have multiple people on a single Priority Reward.

Originally Posted by bcnfish
      Good example of how varying the changes are for each individual flyer. In my case IKK is used for last minute flights (or holiday periods) when there is very rarely partner availability or the required AC feeder.
      I really think if they rethought the voucher allocation they could make people happier. If they are going to be "per pax" it would be nice if they started you with 15 and gave you a path to earn 15 more on SE to balance out the change.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 4:59 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
      Originally Posted by yowcat
      I really think if they rethought the voucher allocation they could make people happier. If they are going to be "per pax" it would be nice if they started you with 15 and gave you a path to earn 15 more on SE to balance out the change.
      Ya I was thinking that too. It's probably easy for them to have voucher promotions. Like the ongoing eupgrade promotions. Sounds like the vouchers are good in principal, and if I understand correctly I can use them on an F mini rtw which is nice. We just don't have enough of them to make up for the loss of IKK.
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
      Ya I was thinking that too. It's probably easy for them to have voucher promotions. Like the ongoing eupgrade promotions. Sounds like the vouchers are good in principal, and if I understand correctly I can use them on an F mini rtw which is nice. We just don't have enough of them to make up for the loss of IKK.
      J, not F. Which so far is my biggest complaint about the whole program.
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:09 pm
      Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
      I'd tend to agree. It would be nice if a person with a family of 4-5 could count on a benefit that would apply to his/her entire family. I assume, at least, that you can buy flights for 5 people, apply 4 vouchers, and still be on the same PNR. It would stink if they all had to be separate transactions.
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:05 pm

The amount they giver out should definitely be increased. IKK allowed for a max of 90 passenger bookings per year whereas the vouchers allow for a maximum of 11.
      Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:49 pm

Gee I wonder why they changed it
      90 was already a huge devaluation from unlimited!
      Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
      Originally Posted by Adam Smith
      They've definitely killed IKK. The 50% off voucher is nice, but with so few of them, it will be hard to get anywhere near as much value.
      The 50% off is going to be by far the best SE perk and singlehandedly makes these changes a net improvement for SE. The value is outrageous - you will get 5 tickets a year at 50% off, which could save you 500K+ miles a year.
      Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
      "Unfortunately but understandably, no one will be able to redeem a Priority Reward for 50% off a First Class redemption – that would be too generous."

I don't understand.
      Is this referring to segments on partner airlines, given Air Canada's top class is business? It seems pretty clear SEs can use the reward on Signature/international J.
      Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by andrewlawton
      Is this referring to segments on partner airlines, given Air Canada's top class is business? It seems pretty clear SEs can use the reward on Signature/international J.
      Yes. The priority reward can be used on any redemption.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:34 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
      I really fail to see how it is an improvement that I can get 5 PEOPLE (which could be one trip for a family) at rates already 2x in some cases what I pay now as opposed to be able to do that up to 10 times a year. And the guy who has a lot of CC spend basically now has the same value as a Super Elite. It seems to suggest to me they really don't see the same value in SE. Concierge is nice and all.. but...
      It actually is a massive improvement in using the 5 priority vouchers if you are SE. I am presently booked on HND-LHR in first on ANA in early March, which at the time that I booked it, was 105000 points. That award is now 100000 points, so a reduction of 5000. If I fly it return, and then use the voucher, each segment is now 50000 points, or 100000 points total. The old priority rewards never gave access to partner flights and now you can get it at a significant saving.

There's also a fair number of permutations and combinations one could create. SFO-HND-LHR in ANA first, would be 130000 points. You can stopover in Tokyo for an additional 5000 points. Using a voucher, this would drop to 67500. That's a smoking good deal if one can plan far enough ahead to find the space. If the website works properly, coming up with some of these permutations and combinations will be very entertaining.

As previously mentioned, you need to fly to get SE status, as you can't get to the $20K SQD without flying. The perks on the card, such as the SQM/SQS and the rollover, which for many will be well used, are, IMHO, well thought out perks for having the top shelf CC.

As a SE flyer, at least for me, the program is an improvement. It just means I may have to ditch my AMEX platinum and the perks that go with that...
      Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:00 am
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
      Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
      It actually is a massive improvement in using the 5 priority vouchers if you are SE. I am presently booked on HND-LHR in first on ANA in early March, which at the time that I booked it, was 105000 points. That award is now 100000 points, so a reduction of 5000. If I fly it return, and then use the voucher, each segment is now 50000 points, or 100000 points total. The old priority rewards never gave access to partner flights and now you can get it at a significant saving.
      Would be nice - Except you can't use the vouchers for redemptions in First Class.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:36 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:07 am
      Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
      Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi

There's also a fair number of permutations and combinations one could create. SFO-HND-LHR in ANA first, would be 130000 points. You can stopover in Tokyo for an additional 5000 points. Using a voucher, this would drop to 67500. That's a smoking good deal if one can plan far enough ahead to find the space. If the website works properly, coming up with some of these permutations and combinations will be very entertaining.

As previously mentioned, you need to fly to get SE status, as you can't get to the $20K SQD without flying. The perks on the card, such as the SQM/SQS and the rollover, which for many will be well used, are, IMHO, well thought out perks for having the top shelf CC.

As a SE flyer, at least for me, the program is an improvement. It just means I may have to ditch my AMEX platinum and the perks that go with that...
      It would have to be ANA business, not first, wouldn’t it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.