Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as PRs) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as its a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR which type will I receive

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as theyre eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a rewards available or credits and discounts overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
      Print Wikipost

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
      Question about Priority Rewards

On Nov 8, AC calculated a double AQD and granted Priority Rewards based on that doubled number.

I had $14k AQD on Nov 8 and so earned 6 Priority Rewards based on $28K AQD.

I finished the year with $19.5K AQD. I seem to remember that AC said they will double the AQD at the end of the year and again calculate how many Priority Rewards have been earned and will grant the additional ones in early 2021.

Is my recollection correct?

By my account I should be receiving 2 more Priority Rewards.

1) Does anyone have the text from that offer by AC (around Aug I think) ?

2) if there are more Priority Rewards coming, does anyone know when they will appear?

Thanks
      From what I know one earns a priority reward when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, 10,000 and 15,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 15,000 SQD – up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. So maximum of 11 priority rewards.

Back in Aug last year, PoT stated following on his website:

The number of Priority Rewards you receive on November 8 will be the greater of:
      • A flat amount of vouchers: 1 for Aeroplan 35K, 2 for Aeroplan 50K, 3 for Aeroplan 75K, and 4 for Aeroplan Super Elite; or
      • The number of vouchers you would earn through the above-listed Priority Rewards thresholds based on 2020 SQD earned through November 8. In light of the impact of COVID-19, as a bonus, your SQD will be doubled when determining your maximum threshold.
        • In January 2021, Air Canada will double-check your year-end 2020 SQD balance and deposit any additional Priority Reward vouchers in line with your total balance, based on the policy above.
        • For example, if an Aeroplan 50K member has 4,000 SQD on November 8, they will receive 2 Priority Reward vouchers in their account. Should the same member end 2020 with 5,250 SQD, they will receive an additional Priority Reward voucher in January 2021, as they will have crossed the 10,000 SQD Priority Rewards threshold (based on the doubled SQD amount).
      4 Exciting New Aeroplan Features (Family Sharing, 50% Off Awards, and More!) | Prince of Travel

I couldn't find anything from AC/Aeroplan confirming double SQD in January 2021.
      Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
      Originally Posted by mileageking
      I couldn't find anything from AC/Aeroplan confirming double SQD in January 2021.
      Thanks... this is what I was looking for :
      • In January 2021, Air Canada will double-check your year-end 2020 SQD balance and deposit any additional Priority Reward vouchers in line with your total balance, based on the policy above.

So if I double my year-end 2020 SQD, it would be $39K, thus have earned 8 priority rewards. I have been given 6 so should have 2 more coming.
      Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:59 pm

Thanks... this is what I was looking for :

So if I double my year-end 2020 SQD, it would be $39K, thus have earned 8 priority rewards. I have been given 6 so should have 2 more coming.
      Not sure if what PoT stated is accurate though as I couldn't find any communication from AC. Maybe others can confirm?
      Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:13 pm
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
      Yes, that was in their site. It might still be there but I'm on my phone and too busy to check.
      Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
      Not sure if what PoT stated is accurate though as I couldn't find any communication from AC. Maybe others can confirm?
      Can we stop using "bloggers" as authoritative sources? If PoT mentions something then every takes it as fact when in reality it is far from it. it could be an opinion or speculation until there if official guidance.
      Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
      Can we stop using "bloggers" as authoritative sources? If PoT mentions something then every takes it as fact when in reality it is far from it. it could be an opinion or speculation until there if official guidance.
      Where did I say bloggers are an authoritative source? Read my last two posts here again followed by cow's.
      Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
      Where did I say bloggers are an authoritative source? Read my last two posts here again followed by cow's.
      Not saying that you said that but it was implied that PoT speaks for the general community. For someone that hasn't spent $1 on AC to earn status and then going to write posts as he has earned it organically is quite contradictory. If he does have inside knowledge via emails with Mark Nasr that doesn't mean it should be take as fact.

On a more related note, I am looking forward to the new airline partners that AC will be announcing this year. Plus hopefully a reduction in qualification for status.
      Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
      Not saying that you said that but it was implied that PoT speaks for the general community. For someone that hasn't spent $1 on AC to earn status and then going to write posts as he has earned it organically is quite contradictory. If he does have inside knowledge via emails with Mark Nasr that doesn't mean it should be take as fact.

On a more related note, I am looking forward to the new airline partners that AC will be announcing this year. Plus hopefully a reduction in qualification for status.
      Mentioning where I saw doesn't imply bloggers are an authoritative source.

I simply responded to Plumber and in same posted also stated "I couldn't find anything from AC/Aeroplan confirming double SQD in January 2021." How does this result in anyone implying bloggers are authoritative sources?

In my 2nd post I stated "Not sure if what PoT stated is accurate though as I couldn't find any communication from AC". Again how does this imply bloggers are an authoritative source.

This is not about who knows Nasr. Your last sentence summarizes perfectly
      it could be an opinion or speculation until there if official guidance.
      so just stick to that.

Now back to regular scheduled programming...
      Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:26 am

I am pretty sure what POT wrote and was quoted above about how the Priority Rewards will work on and after Nov 8 was taken word-for-word from the AC site, including the example given.

Thanks again mileageking
      Old Mar 12, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
      Had a priority award added with an expiration of March 10, 2022. Not sure why as I havent gotten any where close to the first SQD level.

Last edited by EdmFlyBoi; Mar 12, 2021 at 9:34 am
      Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
      Had a priority award added with an expiration of March 10, 2022. Not sure why as I havent gotten any where close to the first SQD level.
      From last year? They just reconciled the year end balances and issued any owing Priority Rewards (after doubling last years AQD for the purposes of this calculation) .
      Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
      From last year? They just reconciled the year end balances and issued any owing Priority Rewards (after doubling last years AQD for the purposes of this calculation) .
      That might be it - good pick up. I finished with just over $12K AQD last year so if it was doubled then that would be $24K which would explain the 5th priority award. Thanks.
      Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
      Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
      With all the confusion about special case one-time Covid extensions, combined with the one-time setup of the new program ... I'm very confused. It happens

I received 5 priority rewards when the new program was first introduced ... and I still have 5 now, all with an expiry date of Oct 25, 2021. I ended last year with 10,654 AQD. Is five, the correct number of priority rewards for me?

I do believe that five is the correct number based on my doubled 2020 SQD ... but I had thought (perhaps incorrectly) that AC had also gifted some "initial" priority rewards as part of the new program introduction; did I have that part wrong? If not, and five rewards is the correct number for me, then my next question is why EdmFlyBoi has an expiry of March 2022, while mine expire in 2021.
      Old Mar 14, 2021, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
      With all the confusion about special case one-time Covid extensions, combined with the one-time setup of the new program ... I'm very confused. It happens

I received 5 priority rewards when the new program was first introduced ... and I still have 5 now, all with an expiry date of Oct 25, 2021. I ended last year with 10,654 AQD. Is five, the correct number of priority rewards for me?

I do believe that five is the correct number based on my doubled 2020 SQD ... but I had thought (perhaps incorrectly) that AC had also gifted some "initial" priority rewards as part of the new program introduction; did I have that part wrong? If not, and five rewards is the correct number for me, then my next question is why EdmFlyBoi has an expiry of March 2022, while mine expire in 2021.
      5 is the correct number.

The "initial" gifted priority rewards were for people who did not get any with AQD. For those with AQD it was the greater of the earned-with-AQD ones or the gifted ones.

[MENTION=908067]EdmFlyBoi[/MENTION] has some expiring March 2022. These are only the ones that were just issued due to the year-end reconciliation. He also have some expiring Oct 25, 2021.

The new priority rewards are valid for 1 year from date of issue.
      Old Mar 14, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
      5 is the correct number.

The "initial" gifted priority rewards were for people who did not get any with AQD. For those with AQD it was the greater of the earned-with-AQD ones or the gifted ones.

[MENTION=908067]EdmFlyBoi[/MENTION] has some expiring March 2022. These are only the ones that were just issued due to the year-end reconciliation. He also have some expiring Oct 25, 2021.

The new priority rewards are valid for 1 year from date of issue.
      Got it. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.