Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as PRs) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as its a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR which type will I receive

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as theyre eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a rewards available or credits and discounts overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
      Print Wikipost

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Nov 9, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC E75K
      Originally Posted by Jasper2009
      Correct.

The new "priority rewards" essentially are 50% off codes that are valid for Y/PE/J and US/Canada, NA or int'l depending on your status level.

Each "priority award is valid for one pax for one booking.
      Thanks! It's kind of product management 101, but using the same name of what was a very popular feature to describe a totally different feature in a less-than-fully-embraced new product launch is not a great idea.
      Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
      Question about Priority Rewards.....

I have 6 Priority Rewards at the moment. I believe those all came from the SQD Thresholds. I am at ~$12.5 K in SQD so far this year (missing close to $3K which I will try and correct). They are given at $4K, $7K, $10K, $15K then every $5K... AC said they will double your SQD for this year and grant the Priority Rewards based on the double number...

The question is whether people gotten their base status allocations of Priority Rewards yet? Ie I think SEs will get base 4 Priority Rewards.. or will these only be given in the new year?

Last edited by Plumber; Nov 9, 2020 at 11:07 pm
      Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber

I have 6 Priority Rewards at the moment. I believe those all came from the SQD Thresholds. I am at ~$12.5 K in SQD so far this year (missing close to $3K which I will try and correct). They are given at $4K, $7K, $10K, $15K then every $5K... AC said they will double your SQD for this year and grant the Priority Rewards based on the double number...

The question is whether people gotten their base status allocations of Priority Rewards yet? Ie I think SEs will get base 4 Priority Rewards.. or will these only be given in the new year?
      I just have my allocation from last year.

Dr. PITUK
      Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber

Similar situation to you. Sitting at 6 priority rewards that expire in Oct 2021 (yours showing same expiry?). SQD shows $12.5K and missing approximately $6K.
      Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
      Similar situation to you. Sitting at 6 priority rewards that expire in Oct 2021 (yours showing same expiry?). SQD shows $12.5K and missing approximately $6K.
      Yes- same expiry as you...

If I understand they will use your SQD at the end of the year (doubled) and up your priority reards accordingly.

But I think we are missing the 4 base ones that were promised to SEs (I cant find these base allocations amounts by status on the site now)
      Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:18 am
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
      I can't seem to find the details regarding priority rewards.

Would a SE with zero flying this year receive another 4 priority rewards in Jan., or would they only receive the 4 priority rewards deposited a few weeks ago?
      Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
      I can't seem to find the details regarding priority rewards.

Would a SE with zero flying this year receive another 4 priority rewards in Jan., or would they only receive the 4 priority rewards deposited a few weeks ago?
      I read it to be that its only the 4 already given.

If any additional SQD thresholds ( over and above 7.5K SQD) are passed between Nov 8 and Dec 31, then those additional earned Priority Rewards will be added in 2021.
      Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE
      Priority rewards

I earned 8 priority rewards on November 8 at transition as an E75K and have since qualified for SE. The priority rewards are still only working for PE International. Anyone know if thats by design or if I should contact AC?
      Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:57 am

By design. Early recognition is only until mid-October
      Old Nov 27, 2020, 10:29 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
      So just out of curiousity: Has anyone successfully applied a 50% off priortity award coupon (over the phpone) towards:

1) a multi-city AE award booking
      2) an AE award booking consisting of 3x+ "one-way bound" award bookings
      3) a somewhat complex award bookings consisting of a) multiple one-way bounds and b) a mix of Y/PE/J awards
      Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:04 am
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
      Another question I've been wondering: Do the new Priority Rewards need to be used by the account holder, or can I use my priority rewards on a flight for a friend, even when I won't be on the same booking? (I don't see anything on the Priority Rewards page about it needing to be me, but haven't combed through the small print.)
      Does anyone have an answer for this one? Has anyone tried?
      Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:01 pm
      Original Poster

Priority Rewards offers an interesting benefit, especially to people with Super Elite status. It is likely to impact the way we purchase fares. So, for example, if you are looking at a Flex fare that will leave you $200 short of having enough SQD for your next Priority Reward, it would probably make sense to buy Comfort instead, and bump yourself over. At some point many of us will likely have to make those kinds of value decisions.

And that makes me wonder: Roughly what kind of monetary value will you place on a Priority Reward at the Super Elite level?
      Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
      Guys,

We can book International flights using priority rewards for our friends right?

Prior to Nov 2020, we can't. AC.com seems to allow it but not too sure what the exact rules are post Nov 2020 for booking International flights using priority rewards for friends (me not traveling with them)
      Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
      Originally Posted by supatight80
      Guys,

Prior to Nov 2020, we can't. AC.com seems to allow it but not too sure what the exact rules are post Nov 2020 for booking International flights using priority rewards for friends (me not traveling with them)
      my understanding is yes we can, i just used it for my parents for next year’s trip and it was fine.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:29 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:03 am
      Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
      Originally Posted by supatight80;post33449759
      Guys,

The old T&C were very clear about this. The new T&C say nothing about any restrictions on whom you can use them for.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:29 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.