Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as “PRs”) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD – up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as it’s a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR which type will I receive

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as they’re eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a “rewards available” or “credits and discounts” overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
      Print Wikipost

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
      Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
      It would have to be ANA business, not first, wouldn’t it?
      Nope. When you use the points predictor tool on the website, HND-LHR is 80000 points in business and 100000 points in first.

Originally Posted by The Lev
      Would be nice - Except you can't use the vouchers for redemptions in First Class.
      Ohhhhh - missed that part. Fair enough. It is still seemingly a reduction in points from 105000 to 100000, so there hasn't been a devaluation of the first class awards. But point well taken. Jeez this is complicated...you almost need a course to learn how to use it.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 5:06 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
      Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
      EdmFlyBoi I 100% agree with your assesment.

The SE priority vouchers were nice with the old system, and made it easier to redeem for AC flights but redeeming on AC flights was terrible! I never wanted to use my hard earned aeroplans when I would also get hit with relatively high fees (SE of course has lower fees, but not no fees with the old Aeroplan). And a good but worse product compared to ANA/Eva/Swiss/etc

Additionally I only do so much award travelling a year. I think that realistically 5 vouchers a year will be the most I would probably use - ten priority vouchers like with the old system or a thousand - I won't take enough vacations to use them up. The new vouchers are of massively higher value and I would prefer fewer more valuable vouchers over a greater number of less valuable vouchers

I think the new vouchers redeemable for business globally are going to be the **BEST** SE perk (even better than concierge access) and despite the devaluations I think I will overall get much better value for the use of my aeroplans than I have in the past

As far as earning SE I will also probably switch to one of the new cards that make it easier to get a few extra SQM/SQS. I always find it relatively easier to qualify on AQD than to qualify with AQS and will appreciate the extra segments. Apparently the amex top tier aeroplan cards will still be metal! Phew lol

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:38 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
      Just wondering to myself about these priority vouchers...does an SE have the opportunity this year to use 10 priority rewards prior to November 8 and then have access to 5 50% vouchers between Nov 8 and Dec 31?
      Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:31 am
      Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
      Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
      Just wondering to myself about these priority vouchers...does an SE have the opportunity this year to use 10 priority rewards prior to November 8 and then have access to 5 50% vouchers between Nov 8 and Dec 31?
      It’s a good question and I haven’t seen an answer.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:39 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
      Priority voucher - one way ro return ? One booking?

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
      The new Priority Rewards, is one reward valid for a one-way or a round trip?

If someone has responded to this query, I must ahve missed the answer.

I am wondering about the answer to the question

To put it another way, if one books one award - which has mutli-segment booking and/or a mini RTW booking - will that be for one priority award for the whole booking, or one priority award for each non-connecting (with a stopover) segment?
      Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:04 pm
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
      Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
      If someone has responded to this query, I must ahve missed the answer.

I am wondering about the answer to the question

To put it another way, if one books one award - which has mutli-segment booking and/or a mini RTW booking - will that be for one priority award for the whole booking, or one priority award for each non-connecting (with a stopover) segment?
      One per passenger per PNR.
      Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:44 pm

Going to miss the unlimited priority rewards
      Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
      Going to miss the unlimited priority rewards
      ??? They put a cap on priority rewards years ago, and even then there were capacity constraints on international J for SE’s.
      Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
      ??? They put a cap on priority rewards years ago, and even then there were capacity constraints on international J for SE’s.
      To be precise, I am going to miss the unlimited number of priority rewards.
      Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:59 pm
      Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
      Originally Posted by MaxFlying
      To be precise, I am going to miss the unlimited number of priority rewards.
      But they haven't been unlimited for years.
      Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
      But they haven't been unlimited for years.
      I stand by my post
      Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
      Ac offering a bonus on Priority Rewards as of launch on Nov 8-- they will allow you to double your SQD as of Nov 8 for the purpose of calculating how many Priority Rewards you will get at launch.

I read it that I have have $20K SQD, I will get 9 additional Priority Rewards , in addition to he base 4 that I get for being SE.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...iority-rewards
      Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
      Ac offering a bonus on Priority Rewards as of launch on Nov 8-- they will allow you to double your SQD as of Nov 8 for the purpose of calculating how many Priority Rewards you will get at launch.

I read it that I have have $20K SQD, I will get 9 additional Priority Rewards , in addition to he base 4 that I get for being SE.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...iority-rewards
      Hmm my reading is that you would get a total of 9 Priority Rewards, not an additional 9 Priority Rewards (for a total of 13), as you are given the higher amount of either your status or your SQD, not a sum of the two.

Looking at the example provided:
      For example, if an Aeroplan 50K Member has 4,000 SQD on November 8, we will deposit 2 Priority Reward vouchers into their account. Should the same member end 2020 with 5,250 SQD, we’ll give them an additional Priority Reward voucher in January 2021, as they will have crossed the 10,000 SQD Priority Rewards threshold (based on the bonus, double SQD amount).
      Therefore, the person is getting a total of 3 Priority Rewards (for $4k, $7k, and $10k) as opposed to a total of 5 Priority Rewards as in your example. Not guaranteeing that Prince of Travel's interpretation is right, but how he writes it in his breakdown also says "The number of Priority Rewards you receive on November 8 will be the greater of..."
      Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
      Originally Posted by lemmeTAN
      Hmm my reading is that you would get a total of 9 Priority Rewards, not an additional 9 Priority Rewards (for a total of 13), as you are given the higher amount of either your status or your SQD, not a sum of the two.

Looking at the example provided:

Therefore, the person is getting a total of 3 Priority Rewards (for $4k, $7k, and $10k) as opposed to a total of 5 Priority Rewards as in your example. Not guaranteeing that Prince of Travel's interpretation is right, but how he writes it in his breakdown also says "The number of Priority Rewards you receive on November 8 will be the greater of..."
      Thanks-- I hope you are wrong... I read it as two buckets 1) Base allocation plus 2) additional ones based on SQD thresholds...I thought the example quoted by AC dealt only with the Threshold SQD situation.
      Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
      Has there been anything at all disclosed about what happens to our current unused SE Priority Rewards? Worthless after Nov 8th? I still have 9 of them, but if they'll disappear on Nov 8th and not be converted into the new ones or some other benefit in lieu, then I'll go ahead and book some flights and just cancel for free if I can't use them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.