Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Here are some common questions and answers.

What are Priority Rewards?

Priority Rewards (sometimes abbreviated as “PRs”) discount the base fare of a flight reward by 50%. (It does not discount taxes, fees, charges and, where applicable, the partner booking fee.)

Who can accumulate Priority Rewards?

Anyone with Aeroplan status.

What do some people refer to Priority Rewards as IKK?

Because of arcane Air Canada history. The new Aeroplan 2020 program was a major revamp to the approach to Priority Rewards.

How do I earn Priority Rewards?

You earn Priority Rewards through accumulating Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD). You will earn a voucher when you cross the 4,000, 7,000, and 10,000 SQD thresholds, and for every 5,000 SQD earned above 10,000 SQD – up to a maximum of 50,000 SQD. (Note: You can also earn Priority Rewards through spending on the US-dollar Chase Aeroplan Card.)

How long are Priority Rewards valid for?

Each Priority Reward you earn will have its own expiry date which will be generally one year from the date you earned the reward.

You must complete a booking by the expiry date. The actual flight dates are somewhat irrelevant as long as it’s a valid booking.

FTers report that a PR appears to expire at 23:59 UTC on your listed expiry day, although some have had difficulty even earlier in the day. Booking a day or two before expiry might be wise.

Do I need one or two Priority Rewards for a return or multi-city trip itinerary?

You need one. Priority Rewards apply to an entire itinerary.

Do I need multiple Priority Rewards for multiple passengers?

Yes, you need one Priority Reward per passenger.

On what flights can I use Priority Rewards?

It depends on your Aeroplan status:
  • 25K: economy class bookings within Canada and the US
  • 35K* or 50K: economy or premium economy class bookings within North America
  • 75K: economy or premium economy class bookings anywhere in the world
  • SE: economy, premium economy, or business class bookings anywhere in the world
*35K Priority Rewards earned prior to 2023 are only for Canada and US.

Can I book an itinerary that includes some ineligible segments if I just pay full price for those legs?

No, all legs need to be eligible.

If I achieve a higher Aeroplan status...
  • will my existing Priority Rewards be "upgraded"?
    • and qualify for early recognition at the time I also qualify for another PR which type will I receive

What if my status goes down?

Same thing, your PRs stay exactly as they were when you earned them.

If my status has changed and I have different types of PR, can I combine them on one booking as long as they’re eligible?

No. While this might theoretically be feasible, the Aeroplan system is not currently set up to accommodate this. You need to have enough PRs in the same category for all passengers on a booking.

If I cancel my booking, will I get my Priority Reward back?

Yes if that Priority Reward is still valid; no, if that Priority Reward has expired.

If I have applied a Priority Reward to a booking, is there any way to find out its expiry date?

No. You need to track this yourself.

If I cancel my booking, how long will it take to get my Priority Reward back?

It is usually instant.

What happens if I want to make changes to a flight reward with a Priority Reward?

The repricing of the flight should still account for the Priority Reward even if the Priority Reward itself would have expired at the time you make a change (although you should double-check that the 50% discount has correctly been applied). All other change rules/fees apply as normal.

Can I use a Priority Reward to book a flight reward for someone other than myself (or even a family member)?

Yes. You can use PRs for anyone. You do not need to be on the booking.

How do I use a Priority Reward?

Search for a flight reward using the website or app. Look for a “rewards available” or “credits and discounts” overlay at the bottom of the screen and select Priority Rewards.
      Print Wikipost

Priority Rewards (Aeroplan 2.0) - information & experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:14 am
      Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
      Originally Posted by supatight80
      Guys,

We can book International flights using priority rewards for our friends right?

Prior to Nov 2020, we can't. AC.com seems to allow it but not too sure what the exact rules are post Nov 2020 for booking International flights using priority rewards for friends (me not traveling with them)
      Yes, I confirmed this with AC. You can use them for anyone you want.
      Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
      Tried to search this thread but it seems most priority rewards questions are related to the old ten we used to get.

I'm hoping someone can let me know how priority rewards are currently working. I have two available NA priority rewards. Am I correct to assume that if these are not used they are lost as of December 31st? If so, can I make a booking this week for travel late next year (hopefully after covid restrictions) and then I will also get another two priority rewards next year?

I am Elite 50K for this year and as I understand it I will be gifted Elite 50K for 2022 despite only flying 25k miles this year prior to the lockdown and a benefit of that is 2 NA priority rewards per year.
      With benefit years moving to calendar year and not flying most of this year I'm not as up on things as I usually am.

Thanks a lot and sorry if this was asked recently and I couldn't find it in the thread.
      Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
      Tried to search this thread but it seems most priority rewards questions are related to the old ten we used to get.

I'm hoping someone can let me know how priority rewards are currently working. I have two available NA priority rewards. Am I correct to assume that if these are not used they are lost as of December 31st? If so, can I make a booking this week for travel late next year (hopefully after covid restrictions) and then I will also get another two priority rewards next year?

I am Elite 50K for this year and as I understand it I will be gifted Elite 50K for 2022 despite only flying 25k miles this year prior to the lockdown and a benefit of that is 2 NA priority rewards per year.
      With benefit years moving to calendar year and not flying most of this year I'm not as up on things as I usually am.

Thanks a lot and sorry if this was asked recently and I couldn't find it in the thread.
      You can easily find the expiration date of those certificates on the app or on your Aeroplan dashboard. The answer should be October 25th, 2021.
      Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
      Originally Posted by jasdou
      You can easily find the expiration date of those certificates on the app or on your Aeroplan dashboard. The answer should be October 25th, 2021.
      ​​​​​​...and IIRC that's the deadline to use them in a booking, not the deadline to fly, which should be 365 days from date of booking.
      Old Dec 25, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
      Originally Posted by jasdou
      Found it, thanks. Do I need to use these to get two more, or will I automatically get two more Jan 1st?
      Old Dec 25, 2020, 5:36 pm
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
      You'll never get any more without hitting SQD thresholds.
      Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:01 am

Has anyone attempted to add or remove a priority reward to/from a booking after it's been made?

In theory it shouldn't be an issue because it doesn't affect availability, only pricing.

I'm considering booking a relatively expensive (partner) J ticket late next year, and if I don't use it on anything better, I'd want to apply a couple to this booking. But I'm nowhere near ready to commit a priority reward yet.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 10:45 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:11 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
      Originally Posted by canadiancow
      Has anyone attempted to add or remove a priority reward to/from a booking after it's been made?

In theory it shouldn't be an issue because it doesn't affect availability, only pricing.

I'm considering booking a relatively expensive (partner) J ticket late next year, and if I don't use it on anything better, I'd want to apply a couple to this booking. But I'm nowhere near ready to commit a priority reward yet.
      The only thing I've done is made a priority reward then cancelled it and then rebooked the exact same flights without the reward. Haven't tried removing it while still booked.

You're the Master Tryer in this forum, so I'm curious to know your experience.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 10:46 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
      Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
      The only thing I've done is made a priority reward then cancelled it and then rebooked the exact same flights without the reward. Haven't tried removing it while still booked.

You're the Master Tryer in this forum, so I'm curious to know your experience.
      Meh, I don't think it's worth my effort right now. Especially since the agents are still learning, and the system is being enhanced. Even if it's not possible today, doesn't mean it won't be possible in February. And this question won't affect me for many months.
      Old Dec 26, 2020, 1:08 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
      Originally Posted by canadiancow
      Meh, I don't think it's worth my effort right now. Especially since the agents are still learning, and the system is being enhanced. Even if it's not possible today, doesn't mean it won't be possible in February. And this question won't affect me for many months.
      You do you!

But you're still the Master Tryer, at least in my books.
      Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:21 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
      Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
      Further to a post by fly_yag upthread, I have a related question that I've never bothered asking before. How do AC/Aeroplan agents know that your booking was in fact a Priority Reward / IKK?

I ask because when re-booking or cancelling, they sometimes seem to know that it's an IKK booking and sometimes don't. Is there something in the notes for the PNR or is this buried in the fare basis code somewhere?

I know this will soon be kinda irrelevant, but I'm a curious cat.
      Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:24 pm

It's definitely noticable in the fare basis. But that's the only visible indication I've ever seen.

You could book AC IKK, change to non-AC, losing the fare basis, but when you cancelled, you'd still get the IKK back. So there's clearly more.
      Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
      If I cancel a flight that I've booked with the 50% priority rewards, do I get the 50% priority rewards back into my account?
      Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:30 pm
      Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtman85
      If I cancel a flight that I've booked with the 50% priority rewards, do I get the 50% priority rewards back into my account?
      Yes.
      Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
      Question about Priority Rewards

On Nov 8, AC calculated a double AQD and granted Priority Rewards based on that doubled number.

I had $14k AQD on Nov 8 and so earned 6 Priority Rewards based on $28K AQD.

I finished the year with $19.5K AQD. I seem to remember that AC said they will double the AQD at the end of the year and again calculate how many Priority Rewards have been earned and will grant the additional ones in early 2021.

Is my recollection correct?

By my account I should be receiving 2 more Priority Rewards.

1) Does anyone have the text from that offer by AC (around Aug I think) ?

2) if there are more Priority Rewards coming, does anyone know when they will appear?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.