Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - North America (Jul 2021 - ???)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - North America (Jul 2021 - ???)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
Originally Posted by lcohen999
What are the Jazz meals like these days in J

I am flying home from IAH on Wednesday and debating if I should burn 3 credits (morning flight)
Last week they where back to normal 2 choices of hot meal.
The service is dependent on the SD as always, they make take orders by status or not, they may deliver the tray with everything fully wrapped or not.
I find it very crowded when I have to deal with all the plastic and foil wrapping.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
First Signature flight in a while today (YYC-YYZ on 77W).

​​​​​​Familiar spinach and cheese "lasagna".

Plastic cover was left on the salad, and foil on the lasagna, when they were delivered.

I found it odd that the cheese plate and dessert weren't separate, but rather you had to choose one or the other. The way the menu is laid out, it implies they're separate courses, like they were in the past.

Meal orders... I think the SD went around and took orders from SEs and then just did the rest of the cabin in horseshoe shape. My order was taken early and he bounced around the cabin a bit, but the others in the A/D aisle (including my 50K wife) were taken while he did beverage service.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
On my last flight, they definitely gave me cheese and dessert.

And port.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow

And port.
I’m looking forward! on UA they give you a pie in the sky cookie. And you’re lucky if they heat it up
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I’m looking forward! on UA they give you a pie in the sky cookie. And you’re lucky if they heat it up
Let's be clear though - this is North American Signature class. You're not getting this on every flight.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow

And port.
I was asked whether I wanted cheese or dessert - she had everything on the cart at the same time. I asked for the cheese and the Nanaimo bar. The FA said it was one or the other, and I could only have both if there was extra after she had gone around the cabin.

I didn't particularly care about the cheese, so I left it at that. The Nanaimo bar was pretty pretty meh, so maybe I should have had the cheese.

I heard the FA and the SD talking about port being at the galley at doors 2, so I presume it was on the plane, but I didn't ask for any.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I was asked whether I wanted cheese or dessert - she had everything on the cart at the same time. I asked for the cheese and the Nanaimo bar. The FA said it was one or the other, and I could only have both if there was extra after she had gone around the cabin.

I didn't particularly care about the cheese, so I left it at that. The Nanaimo bar was pretty pretty meh, so maybe I should have had the cheese.

I heard the FA and the SD talking about port being at the galley at doors 2, so I presume it was on the plane, but I didn't ask for any.

This is what is listed for AC 138 for tomorrow. It shows both the cheese service AND the desserts, not OR the desserts.
Either catering did not load enough of each for all J pax, or crew wanted some Nanaimos for themselves.

(Note to self: take copies of the J menu as well as the SE drink & snack benefit as well as the CO fare drink benefit )
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:38 pm

Yeah, I think I might have been asked about the bar or the fruit. Cheese was definitely on the same cart, but they had no issue giving me cheese and dessert. I think your crew screwed up.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I was always under the impression that when there are separate line items under the same section, then you only get a choice of one of the line items... anything extra is bonus (like if there are any leftovers or if the SD/J FA is confident that there is more than enough to go around).
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
On AC 246 YVR-YEG yesterday our snack was a bag of chips and a chocolate bar. And if you asked nicely, some almonds. On AC 245 return today we had a tasty anti pasta. The covid boxed snacks were better than the chip and chocolate.

Last edited by SearsTower; Aug 24, 2021 at 6:59 pm
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SearsTower
On AC 256 YVR-YEG yesterday our snack was a bag of chips and a chocolate bar. And if you asked nicely, some almonds. On AC 245 return today we had a tasty anti pasta. The covid boxed snacks were better than the chip and chocolate.
I think you meant AC246 for YVRYEG.
IIRC, after a certain time, the meal service on the triangles become a snack basket, which seems to translate to the large clear bag with a bag of chips and the Lindt bar for covid times. I may have misremembered since it's been so long since covid stuff started.

but then again... on a recent transcon we received a snack basket choice of kit kats, chips, Lindt bars, almonds, etc... so who knows.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I was always under the impression that when there are separate line items under the same section, then you only get a choice of one of the line items... anything extra is bonus (like if there are any leftovers or if the SD/J FA is confident that there is more than enough to go around).
Really? In all my years of flying AC J TATL or TPAC (including FRA-YYZ a few weeks ago), cheese was always served as a separate course from dessert, which tended to be a choice between a cake of some sort and fresh fruit.
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Really? In all my years of flying AC J TATL or TPAC (including FRA-YYZ a few weeks ago), cheese was always served as a separate course from dessert, which tended to be a choice between a cake of some sort and fresh fruit.
There's a few things to be separated here... I just took a look at the 100+ international menus I've scanned over the past decade...
  • many of the international menus under Dessert say "Choice of Dessert", implying a choice of, but not necessarily saying you're restricted to one item only
  • if this argument applies to the main courses, then theoretically we're always allowed multiple mains if we want... but we know in general this is not something is "allowed" (yes, I've had two mains before, but usually it's because I'm given a crappy first main (overcooked/burnt), or my seatmate orders for themselves and gives their main to me to have too)... I have been offered two mains one time before, but as a special courtesy to let me try both but the SD made it clear, in a nice way, that this was an exception
  • also, I already stated in the comment that you responded to that staff often try their best to provide both: 1. if they know there will be enough they will let you have both; 2. if they're not sure then they usually come back to see if you still want your other item...
  • there will be the occasional time where the crew will just say no to having both, because they work at the airport (well, kinda)
The above is not necessarily fact as I don't have tight connection to insiders like a few people here, but just based on my experiences... NA and international. Besides, I'm just a bottom feeder SE2MM FOTSG!

And to add: Yes, I've often been provided both on NA and International flights, but I've always seen it as an exception because there was enough to go around.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
There's a few things to be separated here... I just took a look at the 100+ international menus I've scanned over the past decade...
  • many of the international menus under Dessert say "Choice of Dessert", implying a choice of, but not necessarily saying you're restricted to one item only
  • if this argument applies to the main courses, then theoretically we're always allowed multiple mains if we want... but we know in general this is not something is "allowed" (yes, I've had two mains before, but usually it's because I'm given a crappy first main (overcooked/burnt), or my seatmate orders for themselves and gives their main to me to have too)... I have been offered two mains one time before, but as a special courtesy to let me try both but the SD made it clear, in a nice way, that this was an exception
  • also, I already stated in the comment that you responded to that staff often try their best to provide both: 1. if they know there will be enough they will let you have both; 2. if they're not sure then they usually come back to see if you still want your other item...
  • there will be the occasional time where the crew will just say no to having both, because they work at the airport (well, kinda)
The above is not necessarily fact as I don't have tight connection to insiders like a few people here, but just based on my experiences... NA and international. Besides, I'm just a bottom feeder SE2MM FOTSG!

And to add: Yes, I've often been provided both on NA and International flights, but I've always seen it as an exception because there was enough to go around.
But from this menu @24left posted, it's pretty clear that the cheese and dessert sections are separate?

And in my experience, pre-covid, the cheese course would be served on one trolley with port, cleared, and then another trolley service with the dessert choices would come by with coffee and tea.

Tbh, I rarely had either the cheese or dessert, but just surprised this was ever in doubt for others.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capedreamer
But from this menu @24left posted, it's pretty clear that the cheese and dessert sections are separate?
Yes, which aligns to what I was saying. Past NA menus didn't have a separation. The international menus didn't have a separation before.
Sorry, I wasn't clear - my OP regarding menus was a general statement, not specifically to the current situation that got some of the discussion rolling here!

So specifically to Adam's experience, based on the "separation", he should have received both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.