Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by caziz
Which would make sense, but whats interesting is that I have not seen it in any T&C, which could give some grounds....
It may not be not in T&Cs but it was in a communication to all members…sent in October.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...updates.html#/
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:57 pm

Does anyone know what is the enrolment cut off date to roll over your expiring e-upgrade credits?
I dont see it posted in either AMEX or TD's Terms and conditions? If so, One could perhaps assume that card is approved and registered prior to expiry.

Edit: One Aeroplan agent said Dec 31, One said Dec 15. Go figure. Unless anyone has fruitful information, I may go for it now and see how it plays out.
It's a bit late, but all my information sources were Dec 15th. Prince of Travel published an article saying Dec 15th, and I believe that's what Mark and Scott said after the first year's rollover got botched.
caziz likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 3:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Which would make sense, but whats interesting is that I have not seen it in any T&C, which could give some grounds....
Anyone able to confirm if this documented anywhere officially and confirm that it was applied consistently only for Dec 15th and beyond? Have a friend with some rollover eligible SQM and eups who I told to get the card back in October and again in November and didn’t do anything about it so I assumed she wasn’t going to bother. Then she tells me Dec 30th that she just got the card. Feel bad that she got expecting rollover benefits and now potentially has nothing. I guess she could try to cancel and demand a refund.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:41 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Anyone able to confirm if this documented anywhere officially and confirm that it was applied consistently only for Dec 15th and beyond? Have a friend with some rollover eligible SQM and eups who I told to get the card back in October and again in November and didn’t do anything about it so I assumed she wasn’t going to bother. Then she tells me Dec 30th that she just got the card. Feel bad that she got expecting rollover benefits and now potentially has nothing. I guess she could try to cancel and demand a refund.
As someone above said. It was sent to all Aeroplan members earlier in the year and clearly said December 15. If your friend didn’t read that, or listen to you in October, or listen to you in November, there’s really no reason to feel bad for her.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:14 am

Does anyone know what is the enrolment cut off date to roll over your expiring e-upgrade credits?
I dont see it posted in either AMEX or TD's Terms and conditions? If so, One could perhaps assume that card is approved and registered prior to expiry.

Edit: One Aeroplan agent said Dec 31, One said Dec 15. Go figure. Unless anyone has fruitful information, I may go for it now and see how it plays out.
The terms are pretty clear that the e-upgrades from one year are to be rolled over to the next. Maybe their IT is buggy and has some sort of cut-off date, but if the cut-off date is not in the terms then there is no cut-off date. They can't just make up terms as they go. I see they mention this December 15 here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...updates.html#/. Seems to me that what they put on the website contradicts their own terms.

Really tired with this kind of ..... Yeah I'm one of those who get the TD AP VIP card for the roll-over benefits and got it after December 15 because I naively believed the terms and conditions. "Primary Cardholders who also hold Aeroplan Elite Status will be able to roll over up to a maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits received in the prior status year to the next status year."
It's like if I told you I'm gonna pay you $200 for a service with a big contract that we both sign, but that contract referred to a different document on which it said "but only if the service is done today" and I made sure to not discuss that with you at any point. It may be legal but it's .........

Last edited by drthunder; Jan 6, 2023 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:28 am
wjw

Originally Posted by drthunder
The terms are pretty clear that the e-upgrades from one year are to be rolled over to the next. Maybe their IT is buggy and has some sort of cut-off date, but if the cut-off date is not in the terms then there is no cut-off date. They can't just make up terms as they go. I see they mention this December 15 here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...updates.html#/. Seems to me that what they put on the website contradicts their own terms.

Really tired with this kind of ..... Yeah I'm one of those who get the TD AP VIP card for the roll-over benefits and got it after December 15 because I naively believed the terms and conditions.
I believe Air Canada’s terms basically do say they can make up the terms as they go…

Anyway, Air Canada sent the communication to you in October. You didn’t read it I suppose. That’s hardly Air Canada’s fault.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by wjw
I believe Air Canada’s terms basically do say they can make up the terms as they go…

Anyway, Air Canada sent the communication to you in October. You didn’t read it I suppose. That’s hardly Air Canada’s fault.
This is a perk of the credit card and its terms are very clear. I shouldn't have to remember by heart the terms sent in an old email I do have no recollection of. I searched all my emails for "December 15" and have nothing from Air Canada with this date, and I don't delete their emails.

Imagine if the card promised a welcome bonus of 30,000 AP miles if you spend 3k within 3 months but then Aeroplan had terms saying well actually you have to spend 12k within 3 months. Then when people would complain they didn't get their bonus, you'd come here and say "well actually, you just refused to read Air Canada's July 2021 communication about this, it's not their fault you can't read emails".
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:29 am
wjw

This is a perk of the credit card and its terms are very clear.
Are they though? I can’t find any mention of this benefit even existing if I read the terms of the credit card. It exists of course, but it’s not explicitly mentioned in the cardholder agreement that I can see?

Imagine if the card promised a welcome bonus of 30,000 AP miles if you spend 3k within 3 months but then Aeroplan had terms saying well actually you have to spend 12k within 3 months. Then when people would complain they didn't get their bonus, you'd come here and say "well actually, you just refused to read Air Canada's July 2021 communication about this, it's not their fault you can't read emails".
This is more like if the card promised a welcome bonus if you applied before a certain date, you applied after that date and were upset you didn’t get the welcome bonus.

In any case you *are* getting the published benefit. Your unused 2023 eUps and SQM will roll into the 2024 year assuming you keep the card. Your 2022 ones won’t. Regardless of whether you saw the email or not the December 15 cut off is clear in black and white on Air Canada’s website. With a co branded card it is important to read not only the card terms, but also to make sure you understand the way the co branded awards program works.

Air Canada advised the updates to the 2023 year elite program in October. They gave notice of the change. Should 35k’s that didn’t see the update expect their lounge access to continue indefinitely as long as they don’t read the updated terms?

The issue here is that the rollovers are not granted by the credit card, the credit card gives you eligibility to have the rollovers which are done by Air Canada, and are subject to their terms, which were announced publicly in October, emailed to members, and posted on their website.
YYZladyflyer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:10 pm

I'm assuming nobody had luck clawing back rollover eUpgrades if they got approved for a CC after Dec 15? Was going to try sending a msg to Aeroplan to see if they would be willing since I applied for one Dec 30th. I haven't really taken advantage of eUpgrade credits since I don't fly business too much but it'd be nice to keep the credits and roll them over.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay as I do the math and see that I'm effectively getting 130 rollover eUps (50 eUps and 80 threshold eUps from rollover SQM), I'm getting more annoyed that I can't even upgrade an intercontinental round trip right after January 16.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC SE | *A Gold
Are eUpgrade rollovers determined per credit card or Aeroplan account?

I have an Amex Reserve and Amex Business Reserve. I also have 90 eUpgrade credits set to expire this January (mostly because I could never use them no matter how hard I tried). In Nov 2022, I called Aeroplan and asked: since I have both cards and each allows 50 eUpgrade credits to be rolled over, can I therefore rollover 50 from one and 40 from the other? I was told yes. I then told them I wanted to be sure of that answer, because my keeping the Amex Reserve was contingent on that, and the person put me on hold, checked whatever they do, and said yes, each card gets 50 rolled over.

At the time, I forgot this was a place I could ask, since you guys are often more knowledgeable than Aeroplan reps, so I'm asking here. Is that the case?
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:26 pm

It's per account. If it was 50 per card I'd have opened another 5 cards.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC SE | *A Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's per account. If it was 50 per card I'd have opened another 5 cards.
Lol wow. I should have known better than to trust a rep, which is a sad thing to have to say, but all future inquiries will come here. And I did write the time and date of the call, so I'm going to encourage them to listen to the call and see if I deserve any compensatory eUpgrades considering how emphatic the person was, and how I spent $500 on a card I didn't need or want to preserve those credits. Thanks anyway.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by FOTA
I'm going to encourage them to listen to the call and see if I deserve any compensatory eUpgrades considering how emphatic the person was, and how I spent $500 on a card I didn't need or want to preserve those credits.
The credit-card company doesn't have the ability to award you eUpgrades, but you could always take a swing at a statement credit against that annual fee.
FOTA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
The credit-card company doesn't have the ability to award you eUpgrades, but you could always take a swing at a statement credit against that annual fee.
I agree with you, but these multi-party agreements are complicated.

OP has a contract with Amex. OP has a contract with Aeroplan. Amex has a contract with Aeroplan.

Aeroplan said they would do something if OP paid Amex.

The Aeroplan website for the Amex card says (emphasis mine):
Basic Cardmembers who also hold Aeroplan Elite Status will be able to roll over up to a maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits received in the prior status year to the next status year. eUpgrade credits issued on a promotional basis, as well as those already rolled over from a previous benefit year, are not eligible for this benefit. Rollover eUpgrade credits will be deposited directly into the member's Aeroplan account no later than March 30 of any given year, provided the member holds Aeroplan Elite Status at that time, and held Aeroplan Elite Status in the previous benefit year. If the card is changed to a different product or the account is closed, regardless of reason for closure, any unused, rolled over eUpgrade credits will be forfeited and removed from the member’s eUpgrade account. Benefit is only available to Basic Cardmembers and does not apply to Supplementary Cardmembers. Where a Basic Cardmember is eligible to roll over eUpgrade credits under another Aeroplan credit card, the total cumulative roll over of all eUpgrade credits cannot exceed the maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits.
So now you're getting into "front-line agents made statements contradicting the signed contract".

The terms are clear, and calling Aeroplan was the wrong move (which OP definitely recognized even before getting a response).

But I have a lot of sympathy, because calling the benefit provider about a benefit is very reasonable.

Edit: The way I actually read those terms is if you have 25 expiring credits and you have 2 credit cards, you might be able to roll over 50. But you can never roll over more than 50.
FOTA likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jan 12, 2023 at 12:32 am Reason: changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.