FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:10 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
The credit-card company doesn't have the ability to award you eUpgrades, but you could always take a swing at a statement credit against that annual fee.
I agree with you, but these multi-party agreements are complicated.

OP has a contract with Amex. OP has a contract with Aeroplan. Amex has a contract with Aeroplan.

Aeroplan said they would do something if OP paid Amex.

The Aeroplan website for the Amex card says (emphasis mine):
Basic Cardmembers who also hold Aeroplan Elite Status will be able to roll over up to a maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits received in the prior status year to the next status year. eUpgrade credits issued on a promotional basis, as well as those already rolled over from a previous benefit year, are not eligible for this benefit. Rollover eUpgrade credits will be deposited directly into the member's Aeroplan account no later than March 30 of any given year, provided the member holds Aeroplan Elite Status at that time, and held Aeroplan Elite Status in the previous benefit year. If the card is changed to a different product or the account is closed, regardless of reason for closure, any unused, rolled over eUpgrade credits will be forfeited and removed from the member’s eUpgrade account. Benefit is only available to Basic Cardmembers and does not apply to Supplementary Cardmembers. Where a Basic Cardmember is eligible to roll over eUpgrade credits under another Aeroplan credit card, the total cumulative roll over of all eUpgrade credits cannot exceed the maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits.
So now you're getting into "front-line agents made statements contradicting the signed contract".

The terms are clear, and calling Aeroplan was the wrong move (which OP definitely recognized even before getting a response).

But I have a lot of sympathy, because calling the benefit provider about a benefit is very reasonable.

Edit: The way I actually read those terms is if you have 25 expiring credits and you have 2 credit cards, you might be able to roll over 50. But you can never roll over more than 50.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jan 12, 2023 at 12:32 am Reason: changes