Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club

Apologies if this is already been answered. I searched and failed to find an existing thread to piggyback.

It looks like 2021 has been set-up in terms of priority rewards, status benefits, status passes, etc., but my SQM are showing zero and my eups mostly expire at the end of February. Does anyone know what is going on with the rollovers? Is there a timeline for when they will happen?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
March or thereabouts, according to black card T&C: (I assume the same for the other non-CIBC black cards)

CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card primary cardholders who also hold Aeroplan Elite Status will be able to roll over up to a maximum of 50 eUpgrade Credits received in the prior status year to the next benefit year. eUpgrade Credits issued on a promotional basis, as well as those already rolled over from a previous benefit year, are not eligible for this benefit. Rollover eUpgrade Credits will be deposited directly into the member's Aeroplan account no later than March 30 of any given year, provided the member holds Aeroplan Elite Status at that time, and held Aeroplan Elite Status in the previous benefit year. If your CIBC Aeroplan credit card account is not in Good Standing, or if it is closed, regardless of reason for closure or if the CIBC Aeroplan credit card product is changed to a different product, any unused, rolled over eUpgrade Credits will be forfeited and removed from the member’s eUpgrade account. Benefit is only available to primary cardholders and does not apply to authorized users. Where a primary cardholder is eligible to roll over eUpgrade Credits under another Aeroplan credit card, the total cumulative roll over of all eUpgrade Credits cannot exceed the maximum of 50 eUpgrade Credits.
unclepants, YVR4Ever and TOR27 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Not sure if this has been discussed...
Found this in the Amex Reserve card footnotes:
"If the member has been granted complimentary status, as determined by Air Canada, that is higher than the status they would have earned via their Status Qualifying balances, the rollover amount will be based on the status they would have earned otherwise (if any), and not the granted status."
Anyone want to take a stab at interpreting this?
IMO if you are granted 50K but only earned 24K SQM, (no earned status) all 24K will rollover.
If that is correct will that apply to this coming year and is the above example in play now?
Existing 50K about to be comp'd 50K for 2021 (because of Covid) and earned 24K in 2020. Will 24K be rolled over into 2021 for 2022 qualification?
This would probably affect most everyone.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:58 am

Thanks for raising, I had the same question. I received my new eupgrade credits for 2021, but my 2020 ones are set to expire at the end of of February.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: E75K
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
Thanks for raising, I had the same question. I received my new eupgrade credits for 2021, but my 2020 ones are set to expire at the end of of February.
I have been back and forth with AMEX, AP, and AC. It’s has been a challenging few days! Haha.

But, what I have finally learned is that if you have a card and are an elite member, your unused status eupgrades will be reinstated to your account no later than March 30th.

The issue seems to be communication between the parties involved. Eupgrades are an AC product, but the cards are with AP, and it’s AP that manages the benefit program.

The final agent I spoke said she confirmed this with a Lead at AP last night.

Here’s hoping they stay to their word and we see those March 1, 2021 expiring eupgrades etc deposited back into our accounts.
totti, Cas23 and Aselwyn like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kvroe
I have been back and forth with AMEX, AP, and AC. It’s has been a challenging few days! Haha.

But, what I have finally learned is that if you have a card and are an elite member, your unused status eupgrades will be reinstated to your account no later than March 30th.

The issue seems to be communication between the parties involved. Eupgrades are an AC product, but the cards are with AP, and it’s AP that manages the benefit program.

The final agent I spoke said she confirmed this with a Lead at AP last night.

Here’s hoping they stay to their word and we see those March 1, 2021 expiring eupgrades etc deposited back into our accounts.
No later than March 30 would be a month too late. Technically the sooner they do it then those booking Latitude fares can use them to confirm upgrades afterwards or request on booking.

There's no separate Aeroplan entity anymore. It's all AC now, and Aeroplan is just a brand for their loyalty program.

Any intel on the rollover SQM?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:23 pm

Is it too late to roll over 2020 status miles into 2021 by getting this card. Or does this only start 2021 and go forward?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm rolling over either 150k or 175k depending on what they consider a comped status.

But I don't know what the cutoff is for getting the card.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Our 2021 Packages came with the Aeroplan Credit Card insert touting the benefits of the new Premium cards for 2021 (mine arriving Dec 31st) including the all important Rollover eUpgrade Credits. Mark also mentioned it in his hand written note to me in that package, so one would assume that we have until March to secure the new Premium cards to allow this to happen.

If not, then this is a bait & switch and my new CIBC Premium card will be quickly cancelled.

Incidentally, I used my new 2021 eups to secure upgrades on my Latitude redemptions for the Fall travel for Mrs CC & I to Asia. Once the rollovers happen, I will call AC and ask them to apply the rollover ones so that the 2021 versions can be rolled over into 2022 if needed...

CC
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by shawneve
Found this in the Amex Reserve card footnotes:
"If the member has been granted complimentary status, as determined by Air Canada, that is higher than the status they would have earned via their Status Qualifying balances, the rollover amount will be based on the status they would have earned otherwise (if any), and not the granted status."

IMO if you are granted 50K but only earned 24K SQM, (no earned status) all 24K will rollover.

Will 24K be rolled over into 2021 for 2022 qualification?
If this is correct it creates some unfortunate consequences. For me personally, I had 48k SQM last year, and have been comped E75K for this year. I will then get 13k SQM rolled over, rather than 24k if I had failed to achieve even 25K for this year. Had I flown 2k more SQM last year, I would roll over zero.

I am pretty sure the whole point of the rollover is so that the SQM you roll over apply to 2022 qualification.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:32 pm

This is going to be a weird year for things. But the point isn't so that a 75K with 50k SQM gets to roll anything over.

It's so a 50k with 70k SQM gets some rollover.
painintheuk and mileageking like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is going to be a weird year for things. But the point isn't so that a 75K with 50k SQM gets to roll anything over.

I agree. And in 'normal' years, it would operate this way, and is a very welcome enhancement IMO.
The language on the comp'd status vs earned seems pretty clear but you never know. I wonder was it included to address the current situation specifically?
Is it way to help out most elites in 2021 and encourage travel to complete their status?
I don't see most traveling with any regularity until 2nd half of the year and I don't see another extension, so this helps. (if assumption is correct)
However, without AQD, it's not as useful.

Another question I would like to see clarification on is rollover from multiple cards.
There is language in the terms that calls out a max of 200K can be rolled over from multiple cards, implying that if you have more than one card, you get rollover from each one.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:07 pm

The rollover is per Aeroplan member, not per card.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I'm not sure I agree. I didn't shell out for the black card for the SQM. I did it for the eups. But nevertheless, SQM rollover was one of the benefits, and regardless of what my status is this year, I need to qualify against a headwind for next year so every little bit helps. The rollover is there to give you a boost for next year, no? It doesn't matter what status you have this year.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite
eUpgrade rollover with amex reserve card

has anyone noticed a rollover of their eUpgrade credits yet ? As part of the benefits of the amex Aeroplan reserve card (and meeting spending requirements) we would be able to roll over up to 50 eUpgrade credits. On my account, I don't see any that are marked as "rollover" . Only credits about to expire, and credits awarded this year as status earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.