Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by piperdown
has anyone noticed a rollover of their eUpgrade credits yet ? As part of the benefits of the amex Aeroplan reserve card (and meeting spending requirements) we would be able to roll over up to 50 eUpgrade credits. On my account, I don't see any that are marked as "rollover" . Only credits about to expire, and credits awarded this year as status earned.
From the T&Cs:

Basic Cardmembers who also hold Aeroplan Elite Status will be able to roll over up to a maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits received in the prior status year to the next status year. eUpgrade credits issued on a promotional basis, as well as those already rolled over from a previous benefit year, are not eligible for this benefit. Rollover eUpgrade credits will be deposited directly into the member's Aeroplan account no later than March 30 of any given year, provided the member holds Aeroplan Elite Status at that time, and held Aeroplan Elite Status in the previous benefit year. If the credit card is changed to a different product or the account is closed, regardless of reason for closure, any unused, rolled over eUpgrade credits will be forfeited and removed from the member's eUpgrade account. Benefit is only available to Primary Cardholders and does not apply to Additional Cardholders. Where a Primary Cardholder is eligible to roll over eUpgrade credits under another Aeroplan credit card, the total cumulative roll over of all eUpgrade credits cannot exceed the maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits.All eUpgrade conditions apply and can be reviewed at aircanada.com/eupgrade-termsandconditions.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
This sounds crazy really. First they are granting credits that expire December 31 (instead of Feb). That gives a lot of challenges for trips that typically straddle New Year (which for me is every year). You basically won't be able to upgrade flights in January almost ever because you don't get your rollover until March, they expire in December and you don't get your new ones from the package usually until January. Great move AC!!! - if that's the case - I won't fly you over the year- end - I will take Swiss or LH and just book business with them!!! They need to think this through because you should always be able to get some access. I almost may even re-think paying for my reserve card as one of the prime reasons I would need it is to get that December credit to just roll out to January. The rest of year I would not normally be able to use all mine and the annual grant is enough for me . . . I really wonder why they are trying so hard to have this hard cutoff on the year. I agree for qualification it should not be such a big deal but the e-Ups - that is a serious pain with my annual travel pattern.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
This sounds crazy really. First they are granting credits that expire December 31 (instead of Feb). That gives a lot of challenges for trips that typically straddle New Year (which for me is every year). You basically won't be able to upgrade flights in January almost ever because you don't get your rollover until March, they expire in December and you don't get your new ones from the package usually until January.
To that point, I have been told by AC that this year's March-30 eUp rollover is an anomaly, in future years this will be quicker - although the answer I got didn't specify a date.

Worth noting that the year-end challenge you describe is nothing new, it just used to happen in February (presumably messing with Spring Break travel instead of New Years' travel). Of course the ideal situation here is that rollover credits will appear Jan 1, so that anyone with an outbound flight Dec 20 and a return flight Jan 3 has credits available for both, but that's just my hope.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
To that point, I have been told by AC that this year's March-30 eUp rollover is an anomaly, in future years this will be quicker - although the answer I got didn't specify a date.

Worth noting that the year-end challenge you describe is nothing new, it just used to happen in February (presumably messing with Spring Break travel instead of New Years' travel). Of course the ideal situation here is that rollover credits will appear Jan 1, so that anyone with an outbound flight Dec 20 and a return flight Jan 3 has credits available for both, but that's just my hope.
Not really, because you'd definitely have the next year's eUps by then.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary

But - for March flights - you have the credits granted in January with the package. I also had issues with March (booking in June - wanting to upgrade but always had changeable fare and then can re-jig in January when credits come). You don't get as long of an advance purchase timeline but neither does anyone else - and if you get a few extra credits after October they were always good through the end of the next qualifying period. Anyhow - I would hope they rethink that one because otherwise it is not so easy to ever upgrade in January and since I fly mostly based on how the program works (100% of my travel is leisure) I would just re-direct and not fly AC at that time . . . .
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not really, because you'd definitely have the next year's eUps by then.
Yep, brain glitch on my part.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite
Originally Posted by jasdou
From the T&Cs:
so, my credits will expire (and disappear) from my account end Feb. but come back by end march ? Call me skeptical, but I have my doubts this will be smooth. LOL
vernonc likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any update on this? Another thread posted the expired e-credits (up to 50) would be restored towards the end of March. How about rollover miles?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yvr76
Any update on this? Another thread posted the expired e-credits (up to 50) would be restored towards the end of March. How about rollover miles?
The only update has been nonsensical answers from the concierge - it remains unclear (at least to me).
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
The only update has been nonsensical answers from the concierge - it remains unclear (at least to me).
Why are you asking the concierge about program benefits? They're there for same-day travel issues. Up to about a couple years ago, ACAltitude was pretty good at responding to tweets about the loyalty program.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC 75k
T&C for eUP and rollover miles states :

Rollover SQM will be deposited directly into the member's Aeroplan account no later than March 30 of any given year, provided the member earned at least Aeroplan 25K Status based on their Status Qualifying balances from the prior qualifying year.
Says same thing for eUps.
For those of us not swimming in eUPs, that means 1/4 of the year without them.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
T&C for eUP and rollover miles states :

Rollover SQM will be deposited directly into the member's Aeroplan account no later than March 30 of any given year, provided the member earned at least Aeroplan 25K Status based on their Status Qualifying balances from the prior qualifying year.
Says same thing for eUps.
For those of us not swimming in eUPs, that means 1/4 of the year without them.
You had them until the end of February, so isn't that 1/12 (at most)?
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC 75k
This year, sure. But my current eUps state expiry 31 Dec 21, not the old end of Feb. So yes, by current rules in 2022 I could be without them for Jan, Feb, Mar.
Maybe the date will roll back next year with an earlier expiry. Will see.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:33 pm

This year, sure. But my current eUps state expiry 31 Dec 21, not the old end of Feb. So yes, by current rules in 2022 I could be without them for Jan, Feb, Mar.
If this is the case on the rollover - I won't book my trip with AC next Christmas. I fly into Canada in December and out in January - and the January upgrade (which I used to confirm in March) was critical to the whole ticketing. Now I just won't come - we will go somewhere else on Swiss and ditch the AC flights. They have to figure this out. . .
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:42 pm

Ah yeah.

But also, "no later" doesn't mean "no earlier".

This is definitely a year where they said things would take longer, but I'm curious to see when it will happen in general.

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
If this is the case on the rollover - I won't book my trip with AC next Christmas. I fly into Canada in December and out in January - and the January upgrade (which I used to confirm in March) was critical to the whole ticketing. Now I just won't come - we will go somewhere else on Swiss and ditch the AC flights. They have to figure this out. . .
But how is that any different than the old system? You couldn't upgrade a March 2021 trip in April 2020. The only difference is where that boundary is.

However, it was common to get your new eUps in December, which gave the initial batch ~15 months validity. Now it's only ~13.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.