Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
If your 75k was extended, then there is a good chance you would not roll anything over as the 24,988 you're suggesting is based on earning 50K (which you didn't do because of the 75K promo). It's not clear at all how they will handle cases like this.
50K is definitely "the status they would have earned via their Status Qualifying balances".

I can tell you that in 2020, I "earned" 75K, and my rollover was based on that, not the SE that I kept due to COVID extensions.

But this isn't a blanket extension, and there's no way AC wants you booking cheaper fares to maximize your rollover, while getting to keep the higher status.

I just don't think we'll actually know how this gets handled until the new year. Past experience would suggest keeping it under 75k would allow the ~24k rollover. But it's illogical from a business perspective to do that, and we're past the blanket COVID extensions. This isn't "free 75K", it's just qualification through different means.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC 75K *G
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
If your 75k was extended, then there is a good chance you would not roll anything over as the 24,988 you're suggesting is based on earning 50K (which you didn't do because of the 75K promo). It's not clear at all how they will handle cases like this.
This is from the credit card T&C's

11 Basic Cardmembers who also hold Aeroplan Elite Status will be able to roll over up to a maximum of 200,000 Status Qualifying Miles (SQM) from the prior qualification year to the next qualification year. This benefit applies when the member qualified for Aeroplan Elite Status by earning the required SQM or Status Qualifying Segments (SQS), as well as the required Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD), in the prior qualification year. If the member has been granted complimentary status, as determined by Air Canada, that is higher than the status they would have earned via their Status Qualifying balances, the rollover amount will be based on the status they would have earned otherwise (if any), and not the granted status. SQM rolled over from the previous qualifying year will apply towards status qualification for the following qualifying year

I read this as - I would have technically earned 50K
I was granted 75K
Therefore my roll over would be based on 50K.

But it's a super grey area!
painintheuk likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:09 pm

I quoted part of that earlier. The previous sentence is important. Was it complimentary? Does AC think it's complimentary?

I don't think it's complimentary.
Bohemian1 and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by canadiancow
50K is definitely "the status they would have earned via their Status Qualifying balances".

I can tell you that in 2020, I "earned" 75K, and my rollover was based on that, not the SE that I kept due to COVID extensions.

But this isn't a blanket extension, and there's no way AC wants you booking cheaper fares to maximize your rollover, while getting to keep the higher status.

I just don't think we'll actually know how this gets handled until the new year. Past experience would suggest keeping it under 75k would allow the ~24k rollover. But it's illogical from a business perspective to do that, and we're past the blanket COVID extensions. This isn't "free 75K", it's just qualification through different means.
From risk/benefit point of view, the best the OP can do is not to go over the 75K threshold. If he gets ~24K rollover next year, that's awesome. If he does not get it, his loss is minimal (a few hundred rollover SQM from a Flex fare?).
Benner likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Does being a MM factor in at all? i.e. if you end the year at 24k, 49K, or 74K what would you roll over?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
From risk/benefit point of view, the best the OP can do is not to go over the 75K threshold. If he gets ~24K rollover next year, that's awesome. If he does not get it, his loss is minimal (a few hundred rollover SQM from a Flex fare?).
Yes this is my plan. I removed my Aeroplan number from my reservation so I don't earn SQx from the segment (now boarding in Zone 5 lol).

I'm also stopping spend on my premium Aeroplan AMEX so I don't hit the 1000 SQM status boost bonuses.

I'll report back in Feb / March... fingers crossed.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tootsieroll48
I'm also stopping spend on my premium Aeroplan AMEX so I don't hit the 1000 SQM status boost bonuses.
Exactly the behavior that AC & the banks were trying to motivate. Or ... maybe not.
canadiancow and vancouver25k like this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by canopus27
Exactly the behavior that AC & the banks were trying to motivate. Or ... maybe not.
ya its defiantly a odd one to not want to hit 75K in a year so you get the rollover to help keep 50K next year. I'm also in that space but im still below the SQD requirements so less of a issue if i get 75000SQM since it should still all rollover
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Aselwyn
ya its defiantly a odd one to not want to hit 75K in a year so you get the rollover to help keep 50K next year. I'm also in that space but im still below the SQD requirements so less of a issue if i get 75000SQM since it should still all rollover
Ive already retained 75K status via the 30,000 points premium credit card promo. So the AC credit card did entice my spend, Ive just maxed out the benefit.
Aselwyn likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I requalified for SE for next year.
I have 2 cards- TD Infinite Privilege and AMEX Reserve- that will let me allow me rollover benefits.

I have a question about my rollover SQM for next year:

my dashboard shows 195K
I needed 95 K SQM to reach SE status
(I used one select benefit - to get extra 5000 SQM when I reach 95,000 SQM).

QUESTION: What is the 15, 836 SQM rollover mean? Does it mean that was what was rolled over from 2021 to 2022? or is that the amount that will be rolled over from 2022 to 2023? I actually thought that upto 100K SQM would be rolled over- or the extra SQM over the 95K SQM to achieve SE status?

PS-sorry for the large uploaded image of the SQM from my dashboard. I uploaded this image from my Aeroplan dashboard and this is what I got. I would appreciate if someone can pm me and tell me how to change sizes of uploaded images. Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:55 pm

It's what rolled over from last year
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's what rolled over from last year

How was the rollover calculated? I ask because of covid- the 2020 status was automatically extended to end of 2021 and then again to the end of 2022
So one could in theory not flown at all in 2020 or 2021- to continue with status in 2022.
Would my 15K+ rollover SQD possibly be the SQD I earned in 2021? (although I had 40K SQM at the end of 2021[ I am sure I earned more than 15K+ SQM in 2021 through flying).
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
How was the rollover calculated? I ask because of covid- the 2020 status was automatically extended to end of 2021 and then again to the end of 2022
So one could in theory not flown at all in 2020 or 2021- to continue with status in 2022.
Would my 15K+ rollover SQD possibly be the SQD I earned in 2021? (although I had 40K SQM at the end of 2021[ I am sure I earned more than 15K+ SQM in 2021 through flying).
2022 rollover values was an interesting mixed bag. If you "qualified" for any status level in 2021 via flight activity (ie even if you were SE and only flew enough that normally you would have only qualified for 35K, or if you qualified via EDQ for 25K) then you had all your 2021 SQM, SQS and SQD rolled over as a "jump start to 2022 elite status". If you also held a premium card the normal benefit of SQM over and above your qualified level rolled over as described. This is the amount that is shown in your dashboard.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 12:16 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
How was the rollover calculated?
Someone built a calculator for that.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: AP 50k
Sorry if this was already answered:

I have the Amex Reserve. I am 50k through a gift, which I requalified for 2023 via the promotions. I earned 25k I believe through EDQ. This year (2022) I had 5 rollover eupgrades deposited in my account (i was 25k at the beginning of 2022).

The annual fee has just posted and im not sure i will keep the card if my eupgrades wont roll over.

My account last year was a bit of a mess. Earned 25k through everyday in 2021, got upgraded to 35k based on the 10k spend bonus, then gifted 50k in 2022, and requalified for 50k from the 30k aeroplan point bonus. All in all 165 eupgrades were deposited into my account, of which 42 remain. Do we think that these could be rolled over? or is it simply better off cancelling this card to avoid the 600$ fee.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by bigjon94; Dec 13, 2022 at 7:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.