Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:01 am

Thanks.

Hmm....just wondering if the proportional deduction would stop us from getting the the total balance of a desired redemption, or if we'd be able to zero the balances if needed.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:59 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by brightaxis
Stupid question, but will AMEX MR still transfer 1:1 after Nov 8th? Thinking of booking a ticket to YYZ-BOM in early Jan. Suggestions? Should I move 100K points over or wait till after Nov 8?
No official word one way or the other.

Originally Posted by sameruval
Hmm....just wondering if the proportional deduction would stop us from getting the the total balance of a desired redemption, or if we'd be able to zero the balances if needed.
It makes it hard to completely zero out an account, because the reward would need to be just enough to zero out both/all accounts. But not impossible. If you have 49.9K in one and 100 in the other, a 50K reward will drain both. But 49.9K and 200, and you'll still have some left.
Brendan and sameruval like this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:02 pm

Makes sense.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Plenty of ANA F JFK-HND in September 2021
I did a quick check in September 2021, did not see any day with more than 1 seat for JFK-HND in J or F. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think historically this has been the case.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:32 pm

Initial complimentary 50% off vouchers for SEs

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but have AC announced how many 50% off vouchers SEs will receive in lieu of the soon to be cancelled priority rewards? Also, will we be able to carry over e-upgrades to next year?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YULAC
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but have AC announced how many 50% off vouchers SEs will receive in lieu of the soon to be cancelled priority rewards?
Yes, it's on the new Aeroplan site.

Also, will we be able to carry over e-upgrades to next year?
Nothing like that has been announced. Don't hold your breath
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Nothing like that has been announced. Don't hold your breath
You can hold over your e-Upgrades with some of the cobranded Aeroplan credit cards.
martyYOW likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
You can hold over your e-Upgrades with some of the cobranded Aeroplan credit cards.
I'm considering getting one of the co-branded cards for that reason alone if AC doesn't offer some extension.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Only to to 50 eUps, and unclear whether that will start right away for rolling 2020 eUps to 2021 or if it won't kick in until next year.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by cennis
I did a quick check in September 2021, did not see any day with more than 1 seat for JFK-HND in J or F. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think historically this has been the case.
Yes. only 1 seat per plane. I’d book 1 F 1 J and hopefully they release another F close to departure.
cennis likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 8:41 pm

I understand that changes after Nov 8 will re-price under the new award pricing.

But what about is changes are made after travel commences? Say I fly the outbound, and decide to change the inbound. Or if I fly to first stop-over, and decide to make changes to remaining itinerary.

Would they re-price the remaining flights as if it was a new booking? Or do you think they'd try and reprice the entire trip (along with flights already taken).
I'm guessing they'd reprice the entire trip, including flights taken already, otherwise I'm not sure how they'd calculate amount of points to refund.. Hmm..
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:08 pm

redeem points now or after new aeroplan starting on 11/9

hi, I am planning to redeem Aeroplan points for a multi city trip YYZ-LHR. LHR-FCO FCO-YYZ next September. I don't know whether I should book it now or after November 9? will the new Aeroplan be better? thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC 75K
With the new program, Intercontinental trips will be more expensive mileage wise, but will no longer attract the extremely hefty fuel surcharges...so it depends what your priority is.

You could book now, and if something better comes along with the new program, you can cancel for free up to Dec 31.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
One of the concierges told me that super elites will also be able to carry over up to 50 e-upgrade credits... not sure if he was mixed up with the credit card perk or if that's going to be a separate carry over that is yet to be formally announced
Old Oct 26, 2020, 6:26 pm

Forgive me if this has been answered (I’ve been out of the game for a while). I was looking to book a flight from YVR to YYZ December 17 and return Jan 3 - E50 was going to book flex - what are the best guess of getting upgraded? Not sure how this will work given the new program.

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.