Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:48 pm

July 11

I'm not 100% sure,
AC8243 YXT-YVR 9 pax
AC8238 YVR-YXT If not empty, not much more than empty.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:23 pm

AC224 YVR-YYC looked at least 85% full on a 319. J had 2 empty seats.

I was not going to post any pics from my recent travels but I think I'll do a little trip report while I'm in isolation. The differences between airlines are stunning.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Also, what's with the travel size lube/sanitizer? I gave some to my friends in St. John's and they all thought I gave them lube at first... never felt hand sanitizer like that before.
Are you referring to the Ecological sanitizer? Which uses some sort of chemical rather than alcohol as Its active ingredient?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K
My only recent experience from YYZ-CDG:

AC488 YYZ-YUL Jun 30 - 4-5 J pax, rest maybe 10-15% full on 789

AC870 YUL-CDG Jun 30 - 8 J pax, whole flight maybe 30-35% full it seemed

AC871 CDG-YUL booked for Jul 19 - currently the only passenger in J.. unsure about the rest of the flight
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm about to fly this weekend domestically on AC. Should be interesting - will post back here on the results.

At the airports (specifically at YYZ T1 domestic) is anything open? I'm assuming both the MLL and Plaza Premium lounges are still closed. What about the regular restaurants - Timmies etc? Are they open these days?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I'm about to fly this weekend domestically on AC. Should be interesting - will post back here on the results.

At the airports (specifically at YYZ T1 domestic) is anything open? I'm assuming both the MLL and Plaza Premium lounges are still closed. What about the regular restaurants - Timmies etc? Are they open these days?
Last I was there (last week) there was Tim Hortons, Starbucks, A&W, and a couple more. Quite busy I thought, compared to other airports which seem eerily quiet. MLL and PPL closed.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by RCyyz

Starbucks (at ourtragous airport prices)

Seriously, really showed how much I've relied on lounges for a drink and a snack over the years!
Old Jul 13, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I am wondering if I should travel in 2.5 weeks (with wife and 24 yr old daughter) from YOW to YVR (via YYZ) -stop (and see relatives including father is 93 with some medical problems). After 5 days, I go to YYC for 48 hours (and stay in Banff Springs Hotel. Then come back from YYC to YOW (via YYZ transit).

I am in the mid 60s - and have some medical problems - although well controlled.

The question is the risk of getting covid 19 sufficiently low for me and my family flying with me and other family members based in Vancouver (from me) to fly, or too high to risk it without a pre-boarding rapid covid 19 test,

here are links to some references for AC flights with at least 1 passenger testing positive COVID 19 passenger

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba...ghts-1.5006039

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-expos...uver-1.5022413

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...sure-1.5635164

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ncouver-flight

Want to get your opinion

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 13, 2020 at 7:21 pm Reason: cross-posting
Old Jul 13, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Flew last week YYC-YYZ on a 789/788 return. Both were 30-40% full tops. Saw a whole family in J on the return, guess someone had a lot of miles to burn! Both airports were pretty dead. Besides the fact that the crew all looked over 60 (seniority at work there) their biggest job was to policy mask wearing and occasionally give out water bottles.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am wondering if I should travel in 2.5 weeks (with wife and 24 yr old daughter) from YOW to YVR (via YYZ) -stop (and see relatives including father is 93 with some medical problems). After 5 days, I go to YYC for 48 hours (and stay in Banff Springs Hotel. Then come back from YYC to YOW (via YYZ transit).

I am in the mid 60s - and have some medical problems - although well controlled.

The question is the risk of getting covid 19 sufficiently low for me and my family flying with me and other family members based in Vancouver (from me) to fly, or too high to risk it without a pre-boarding rapid covid 19 test,

here are links to some references for AC flights with at least 1 passenger testing positive COVID 19 passenger

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba...ghts-1.5006039

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-expos...uver-1.5022413

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...sure-1.5635164

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ncouver-flight

Want to get your opinion?
Unfortunately I can't make the decision for you but there is always a risk. You can take steps to reduce the risk. Some people are flying with face shields and you can buy them at T&T. Some people also flying with safety goggles on.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 14, 2020 at 6:55 pm Reason: edit content
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So far I've managed to never sit beside anyone, usually at the front of the aircraft and board last/disembark first. There is certainly a lot more risk than staying at home, but for me so far I've felt my personal risk to be reasonable. That said I havent seen my parents (65+, and 2 of 3 of them with health issues) since I've started flying.

​​​​​
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:36 am

I've posted the first of 3 parts in the trip report forum

Canada to Czechia - June/July 2020 - AC & LH J

/edit: all parts posted now. Thanks jet lag

Last edited by YYCCL3; Jul 14, 2020 at 6:48 am
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
I flew YHZ-YYT on Sunday; upon arrival at YYT, they ("police cadets" on the back of their tshirts with a full uniformed police officer overseeing) were handing out forms to complete and you had to show two pieces of ID to prove you were a resident of Atlantic Canada. While the flight was wholly within the Atlantic Canadian bubble, I guess people could have connected to YHZ from outside the bubble and still have been on that flight, say YUL-YHZ-YYT. They were quite efficient and polite; the form is also available online to print out if you don't want to spend the additional couple minutes filling it out upon landing.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
I did YYZ-YOW and back on the weekend. YYZ was pretty empty but there was a place to get a beer by the A&W. YOW just had a Hudson open for bottled drinks. Both times on a E175 I sat alone in a preferred Y seat. J was pretty empty too. A few people had seatmates but most did not.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Did YYZ-YYC a few weeks back. Original schedule was 787-9, a week before to A321, and then day before A319. The flight was basically full. Sitting in the preferred seats, lucked out with the middle seat open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.