Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:39 am

I was impressed with the value when I flew Transat "club class" once which was like $150 more than economy ... but that was about 10 years ago. I've checked since and found it *much* more expensive than what I paid then. I think both airlines are pricing their premium class based on what the market will bear, not on what they think the value thy can offer represents. And the reality seems to be that the market will bear a pretty substantial premium for premium economy.

From the airline's point of view I think the way they do their accounting the dominant factor in calculating the cost is the sheer square footage of the seat. It doesn't seem like much difference when you're sitting in it but they only fit about 2/3 as many PY seats in the same space as economy seats so it's going to be 50% more "expensive" from their point of view. There are all kinds of assumptions built into that model about what seats they could have sold at what price if they had more seats but I don't think they think that deeply about it to be honest.

It would be nice if they looked at the fare and said hm, we're giving 50% more space and the market is paying us 50% more money (or more on AC IME!) let's see if we can offer a service commensurate with what they're paying.

Last edited by zkzkz; Oct 6, 2022 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by john2003
I actually would go with AT for value if they still flew to LGW from YVR.
i am sorry that my expectations are in your view so unreasonable. I will stick by them.
You’re not being unreasonable. Its normal
to assume that PY (or Y) products should roughly be the same.

The reality is that they aren’t. They have similar seats, but the overall quality tends to vary a lot. You have your premium carriers in the PY space (like VS or NZ), you have your middling carriers (like CX, WS, BA and so on) and you have your budget carriers (like AC, LH, US3). The former treats it as a different class of service and pay lots of attention, the middle as a different class, albeit as an afterthought, and the latter treat it is an extension of Y (even closing the curtain between the cabins is one step too far).

AC has always been a budget carrier in Y/PY. Cabin cleanliness and upkeep has been a problem for years (LH is an outlier on that front among the budget carriers).

It’s not that they can’t make the service a little better; they just don’t want to. In that sense, AC has adopted LH’s general contempt for anything that suggests “Economy”.

What you’re describing is pre-pandemic normal PY on AC - right down to poor ukpeep, low cleanliness, and actual chunks missing out of the seats.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
"In preparation for landing .... we will be collecting the noise cancelling headsets in first class."
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:49 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
"In preparation for landing .... we will be collecting the noise cancelling headsets in first class."
That won't take long.
canopus27 and mathemagic like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:52 pm

I should clarify that my post is on topic. I am flying AC.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 4:05 pm

I flew out of SFO T2 on AC yesterday.

Without Clear, I either would have had to run to T3 and back, or I would have missed my flight. The Precheck line was snaking around the check-in area.

I guess I might need to rethink my airport arrival strategy for AC flights. Getting there after boarding has begun is starting to get risky.
YYC3722 and vancouver25k like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:30 pm

Did YYZ-YVR lie flat last weekend and it was a rather enjoyable experience. The flight attendant servicing me was super cute and friendly, probably got lucky because the other ones seems lukewarm. Meal service was course by course, spaced out nicely and pretty attentive. Entree nothing to write home about, tiramisu dessert was quite enjoyable.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by commaspace
Did YYZ-YVR lie flat last weekend and it was a rather enjoyable experience. The flight attendant servicing me was super cute and friendly, probably got lucky because the other ones seems lukewarm. Meal service was course by course, spaced out nicely and pretty attentive. Entree nothing to write home about, tiramisu dessert was quite enjoyable.
"Super cute". Really? That added to your experience?
msat and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Watkin
Elevated feelings in the air
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Watkin
Pleasant interactions with a nice human being who actually loves their jobs isn't "adding to your experience"? How miserable.
pilot007 and JackCooper like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Pushback YYZ to SFO late this morning due to late arriving pax. Bags are on so had to wait. Likely due to the long lines at TB security and US CBP. Took 40 mins with Nexus
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by commaspace
Pleasant interactions with a nice human being who actually loves their jobs isn't "adding to your experience"? How miserable.
Super cute could be interpreted as an assessment if their physical appearance.
canadiancow and BBQman98 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It's hard to believe I started this thread a little over 2 years ago and we're still here posting!

When I started this thread, it was hard to see a way forward and a return to the times when many of us would mileage run just for the sake of a few extra points or other perceived perks. When I first created this thread, we were at a point where simply being in close proximity to others might be a lethal thing.

How times have changed! Personally I'm glad they have and I suspect we all are ...

I wouldn't go so far as to say the pandemic is over, but with the vaccines, getting on a plane to go somewhere is no longer the challenge it was two years or a year ago.

I recently flew YYZ-YVR-YYJ-YVR-PDX and back again all on AC metal. Masks were on for most flights and then suddenly after Oct 1, they weren't. I still wore my mask more often than not and I think for the foreseeable future, some of us will elect to mask up more often than Before Covid. But that's no biggie; it's just a personal choice just like do I wear these shoes today or those ones?

The title of this thread is "Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days". Judging by the loads on the flights I recently took and by the crowds and line ups at the airports, I'd say the answer today is a resounding yes.

It's nice to be up in the air again.

Mods - please feel free to close this thread as we all move on.
vancouver25k and yyztozag like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
A few COVID-related observations from my LHR-YYZ-YOW this past weekend.

1) It was almost like a pre-COVID TATL, besides the parts of the J service that have not quite recovered. No masks on any crew or pax that I saw in J.

2) I miss AC 888/889. Maybe next summer.

3) When I got to YYZ I cleared customs in 30s (fairly quiet anyway, and thanks Nexus) and had plenty of time to catch an earlier flight to YOW. In the beforetimes I would frequently go to the gate to get this done but these days it seems like the GA shows up about 5 mins before the flight boards at YYZ so I went to the service desk at YYZ domestic. I was booked in Y upgraded to J on both legs but all I wanted was the earlier YYZ-YOW and I didn't care whether my upgrade carried over or not for a 45 min flight, and I didn't care whether they gave me a confirmed seat or standby (I've got a 100% clear rate on standby YYZ/YOW as an SE). The obviously very new agent could not figure how to do this and had to get another agent to help out and and all in all it took them about 15 minutes to figure it all out and print me a new boarding pass for the earlier flight, which in the beforetimes would have taken an agent about 1-2 mins. I didn't care because I had lots of time, but it seems like they are still training new staff and when IRROPs happen it is still going to be a big challenge.

Last edited by RatherBeInYOW; Oct 12, 2022 at 11:40 am
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:37 pm

You probably could have done it yourself by accessing OLCI again, in less time than the "1-2 mins" from the "beforetimes".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.