Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
AC8501 YXE YVR was cancelled today (22 August) due to lack of crew.

Looking at a 5-6 hour delay as the only rebooking options are via at least two other points.

I guess this will be my first opportunity to wrangle with AC over APPR compensation.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
Flying Thru Toronto with luggage

On a 10 week odyssey mostly thru aeroplan.

step 1 FLL - YYZ Rouge 8/18 arrived on time Off plane 245 cleared immigration, picked up 2 bags and golf clubs in oversized in rental car by 335pm. Flew coach. A+

Step 2 YYZ-FRA-VIE J class 8/20 arrived airport 3 hrs before flight , cleared security in 20 minutes, 2 hrs 30 minutes in lounge which was jammed because everybody 2 hrs early. Impossible to find a charging station which was the only fail. A-

Step 3 arrive FRA 20 minutes late clear passport control in 10 minutes, arrive VIE on time, 2 bags golf clubs 15 minutes in rental another 15 minutes A+

couple more comments

Way too many carry-Ons FLL-YYZ stressing out flight attendants trying to jam bags in overheads

service on Lufthansa ( haven’t sat on a top level on a 747 for a long time ) was impeccable

airports jammed ( FLL, YYZ, FRA, VIE)
Bravada04 and Plumber like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:17 am

Not sure if this is AC specific, but when trying to board my AC ZRH-YVR flight today from a tight MUC-ZRH connection, I was made to go line up separately for a doc check (specifically had to show ArriveCan was completed, which I thought was odd, you are *allowed* to enter without it, you would just have to spend a lot of money, so it was a bit silly to delay boarding with that) and they also said the airport insisted on locally printed BPs, so the one I received from LH was pointless.

Poor concierge was a bit harried with multiple flights boarding at the same time and a lot of us who had no idea we needed another BP.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Booked the longest connection I could for a YOW-YYZ-DEN today, expecting mayhem at US security and Customs, especially as I had to register my updated US work visa.

...instead, I was the only one at security, waited almost thirty seconds to see a CBP officer, and got to the lounge 16 minutes after touchdown.

So, now I'll be taking up space at YYZ TB for several hours, because Pearson can't be trusted to have its poop in a group.

No wonder the lounges are overcrowded.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Not sure if this is AC specific, but when trying to board my AC ZRH-YVR flight today from a tight MUC-ZRH connection, I was made to go line up separately for a doc check (specifically had to show ArriveCan was completed, which I thought was odd, you are *allowed* to enter without it, you would just have to spend a lot of money, so it was a bit silly to delay boarding with that) and they also said the airport insisted on locally printed BPs, so the one I received from LH was pointless.

Poor concierge was a bit harried with multiple flights boarding at the same time and a lot of us who had no idea we needed another BP.
They were doing that at SFO yesterday, but somehow I managed to skip it and board without a typical doc check.

But yeah, I always try to make sure I have AC-printed BPs. In MUC last year, I went to the gate to get them, and the concierge was helpful, but didn't think it was necessary. Until she actually tried to print them. "Oh, I need to verify all your stuff. It's a good thing you came now or this would have delayed boarding." The calf, unfortunately, did not feel like doing the same, and got stuck in a big line in the YYZ transit area, because they would not let him through transit security with the LH-printed BP.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What is the deal with requiring Air Canada printed boarding passes? Pretty dumb when the airline gives you an electronic boarding pass after check in then demands you waste paper getting another one? This airline has some of the most ridiculous habits.

Seems Neville Longbottom is not a fan, Air Canada’s behavior here seems unacceptable

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/harry-pot...onto-1.6044335
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What is the deal with requiring Air Canada printed boarding passes? Pretty dumb when the airline gives you an electronic boarding pass after check in then demands you waste paper getting another one? This airline has some of the most ridiculous habits.
That was an issue I had a few months ago. I stopped by the check-in desk to show my passport and proof of vaccination (when it was still required). They printed a paper boarding pass for me. When boarding started, the announcement was you must have seen an Air Canada agent prior to boarding the aircraft, not that you needed a paper boarding pass issued by Air Canada. They wouldn't let me board with my electronic boarding pass. I'm willing to accept some extra hassles with flying these days, but at the very least be clear about what you are expecting from passengers.

I always get a printed boarding pass from the Air Canada agent at international/transborder stations and just use that to board now.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
That was an issue I had a few months ago. I stopped by the check-in desk to show my passport and proof of vaccination (when it was still required). They printed a paper boarding pass for me. When boarding started, the announcement was you must have seen an Air Canada agent prior to boarding the aircraft, not that you needed a paper boarding pass issued by Air Canada. They wouldn't let me board with my electronic boarding pass. I'm willing to accept some extra hassles with flying these days, but at the very least be clear about what you are expecting from passengers.

I always get a printed boarding pass from the Air Canada agent at international/transborder stations and just use that to board now.
I wonder if it's rogue agents, or an official policy that isn't being properly communicated. A more competent solution is using the same passport verification system used by United, where you just scan your passport at check-in using the mobile app, and then you get a boarding pass on your phone with a DOCSOK, vs a "see agent for check-in" where you need to swipe the passport at a kiosk or with an agent to get a boarding pass.

Maybe the paper boarding pass nonsense is just a lame excuse by the agents to force everyone who did not check-in at the counter to have their passport verified before boarding.
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: AC E75K
Sitting onboard AC415 YUL-YYZ on Sep 1. 10 out of 12 seats in J on this A220 are occupied by uniformed crew (I think all pilots), including 2 who flew me across the Atlantic on AC867 LHR-YUL a few hours earlier.

(As an aside, those AC867 pilots were awesome. They saw me peek into the 787 cockpit while they were doing pre-departure prep, invited me in, offered to take a photo of me in the left seat, and chatted with me for a good 5 minutes. I eventually felt bad and left while they seemed perfectly happy to keep chatting as they were all done with prep.)

AC415 is oversold. There are more crew in the back. They asked for 3 volunteers to take a YTZ flight 1.5 hours later and offered $400 as compensation. I was briefly tempted but decided against it.

Update: Ended up chatting with one of the pilots on this flight. She started a conversation as we were walking through YYZ because she thought I was also crew (I have one of those AC covid masks). Super nice lady. She had flown in from FRA to YUL that morning and said they've been needing to do a lot of these repositioning flights between YUL and YYZ due to a shortage of YUL-based crew. Her son is studying aviation and business at Western and hopes to follow in her footsteps. Awesome!

Last edited by capedreamer; Sep 2, 2022 at 3:11 pm Reason: 2 more crew just joined us in J
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:51 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
This is a first for me leaving YVR. Delayed boarding AC304 today due to the cabin being +32 degrees.

That's one way to heat towels I guess.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:12 am

Should we check bags?

Super nervous for my wife on this one.

We have J tickets YXU-YYZ-FRA-NAP

Should we check bags or carry on...
I hate carrying on bags, but am unsure on how bad it really is out there right now.
What would you do?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by antistan
Super nervous for my wife on this one.

We have J tickets YXU-YYZ-FRA-NAP

Should we check bags or carry on...
I hate carrying on bags, but am unsure on how bad it really is out there right now.
What would you do?
I have checked bags and not had an issue other than waiting 45mins+ for the bags - for anything Canada based incl YYZ. If you have adequate connection time, you should be fine. I cannot speak to FRA or NAP though as I have not flown via them with bags.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by antistan
Should we check bags....
What would you do?
I check bags because I have delayed baggage insurance.
You should do the same.
antistan likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
This was new, out of YYZ today. I always go through the Priority area to get to Nexus or Priority Domestic security to avoid the crowds.

They were checking carry on sizes there and giving out those sticker/tags assuming it fit.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
This was new, out of YYZ today. I always go through the Priority area to get to Nexus or Priority Domestic security to avoid the crowds.

They were checking carry on sizes there and giving out those sticker/tags assuming it fit.
The days of going that route to avoid being slowed down and harassed about your perfectly "legal" carry on bag(s) are...over? Great way to build and maintain customer "loyalty" , AC!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.