Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
So the AC bid expires tomorrow, and no vote has been held yet ?
I would kill to be in the Board Meetings of both organizations.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I would kill to be in the Board Meetings of both organizations.
and then straight to pokey for those who manage to plant a bug and then trade on what they learn
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/aimia-in...pire-1.1118028

QUOTES

"Oneworld has offered to explore ways of working with Aeroplan through a commercial partnership that would enable Aeroplan members to earn and redeem rewards on designated oneworld member airlines’ flights from 1 July 2020, when Aeroplan’s current relationship with Air Canada ends," a spokesperson for Oneworld said in an emailed statement to BNN Bloomberg Thursday.

“It’s really not too much of a surprise,” Andrew Pyle, senior wealth advisor and portfolio manager at Scotia Wealth Management’s Pyle Group, told BNN Bloomberg in an interview Thursday. “If you put yourself in Aimia’s shoes, you’ve got to get something put together by 2020. 2020 is not too far away right now.”

and

"Air Canada isn’t ignoring competition to its bid, indicating on its website it caught wind of “other proposed transactions."

Pyle said the competing bid puts pressure on Air Canada “to put this deal to bed,” adding that he expects the airline giant will sweeten its offer in order to do just that.

“It would be a shock if we didn’t see something as a result of this come to the forefront,” Pyle said."
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:50 am
FB_

Programs: AP
I'm leaving tomorrow on my F award x2 to Indonesia which I booked using the 430,000 points I had. I booked it just after the announcement in order to jump ship with all the uncertainty this had for me. I've since accumulated another 60K all through credit card points. At time of booking the flights were priced at $27,565 / person. $55,130 total. Which is a total return of $0.12 / point which I'm beyond pleased with. ($336 in taxes)

I'm on the fence here. I enjoy being able to book premium seats on star alliance so for me I'd like to be with Air Canada. Aeroplan has been touting the new program for 6 months now and zero details. Obviously they don't have any of the details yet, but I'm definitely worried I won't be able to get a $0.12 return on my points with any new program no matter how this unfolds.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea

and then straight to pokey for those who manage to plant a bug and then trade on what they learn
No, I think it would just be absolutely fascinating discussions around Board due diligence, duty of care, responsibility of Board members to the corporation, and all types of geeky cool governance stuff. Lots of interesting dynamics at play, in both sets of meetings.
FB_ likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
In case of AE, yes your right in theory

although story about quickly forgetting about getting swamp survey done when the alligators appear around the surveyor come to mind.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by 24left
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/aimia-in...pire-1.1118028

QUOTES

"Oneworld has offered to explore ways of working with Aeroplan through a commercial partnership...
Unless there is a firm offer from Oneworld on the table (vs “exploring”), going with Oneworld would certainly be rolling the dice (bird in hand vs 2 in bush). Today should be interesting. Need more popcorn!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Except for the fact that WestJet will be part of SkyTeam.

I find it inconceivable for WS to join a OW.
Agree that WS joining OW is unlikely given recent developments, however WS joining ST is far from certain; I would not categorize this as a “fact.”

I don’t see how being able to redeem on OW would be of benefit to most Canadian based members, other than AE being able to list a whole bunch of carriers they’re now partners with.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:43 am

why should we believe that this OW isnt a bluff and negotiating tactic to drive AC group's bid up?!
pitz likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tehdee
why should we believe that this OW isnt a bluff and negotiating tactic to drive AC group's bid up?!
Because OW have confirmed that they are in discussions with AE.
I really want to know whether AE announcement about redeeming on 20 airlines is a done deal or something they are working on. For OW, seems like they are working on it so which 20 airlines are they talking about ?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
ae and Oneworld both confirmed talking to each other for possible partnership.
There is nothing precluding ae also talking to Skyteam or talking directly to many other airlines. Partnership with WJ/Skyteam/RBC will present even more challenge to AC.

So yes ae can stick a middle finger to AC (for AC's dirty/sleazy/underhandedness), but they certainly can still come to agreement with AC. AC gave the Aug. 2 deadline, hoping to buy ae on the cheap before the quarterly results on Aug. 3. AC knows the redemptions, and it's probably going to be good results for ae, thus trying to force ae to sell on the cheap. Wonder how much AC will up the ante.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by vernonc
I really want to know whether AE announcement about redeeming on 20 airlines is a done deal or something they are working on. For OW, seems like they are working on it so which 20 airlines are they talking about ?
The "any seat, any airline" promise can only mean paying market rates (with points). AE might negotiate minor discounts with particular airlines, but ASAA will mean redemption will be quoted down to the mile and be different for every itinerary.

Which makes miles just like cash, but worse.
pitz, ridefar and roubaolic like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
The "any seat, any airline" promise can only mean paying market rates (with points). AE might negotiate minor discounts with particular airlines, but ASAA will mean redemption will be quoted down to the mile and be different for every itinerary.

Which makes miles just like cash, but worse.
But they have already said that the miles redemption is the same. 25K for NA long haul, 75K for Europe, etc.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
But they have already said that the miles redemption is the same. 25K for NA long haul, 75K for Europe, etc.
They might have one seat available per month at those rates if they care to meet the advertising speculation.

But someone with more knowlage of magic may be able to explain how they could possibly continue at the same redemption rate in some useful inventory when they no longer have access to Air Canada's empty seats.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
They have said that redemptions will START at these amounts.

Ron.
roubaolic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.