Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Air Canada's CEO calls Aeroplan bid ‘extremely generous’ — but Aimia’s top shareholder disagrees

July 27 2018

https://business.financialpost.com/t...lder-disagrees
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:38 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by pitz
Sure. But if they have 20 years worth of data that indicates that an AP member has never bought a business class or a preferred seat, and they have an empty business, PY, or preferred cabin after all their usual and customary efforts to sell them, they're not, for example, foregoing any revenue by making an offer to upgrade to such with points. The customer would have almost *never* paid for that otherwise.

Even 10 years ago, running such queries on the sort of datasets AC/AP works with would have been impossible given the sort of constraints in computing. Today with the sort of computing power available, its completely plausible that 5 minutes prior to boarding, offers of such nature go out to customers' smartphones.

AP as a separate entity didn't allow that to happen as the negotiation involved and commercial arrangements would be too complicated to work out. A new program altogether would have lacked the rich retrospective data on which decision making could be based, and would've taken years to generate a good database. So AC basically had little other reasonable option here.

Even for email marketing, if you do, say, a YYZ-HKG search on AP and don't end up booking it, AC could hit you with follow-up emails during revenue seat sales for that route. Or purchase online targeted ads on various platforms. Much like Amazon does. Again, something that just wasn't possible with AP being a separate entity as AP definitely wouldn't want to promote the purchase of revenue tickets through AC directly.
​​​​​​I don't disagree with you at all about the value of AC/AE historical data (I do deep learning in other areas so would love to hack away at it) but this pre-supposes a level of IT sophistication that AC/IBMGS is nowhere near having available. They have a better chance of a moon landing than doing that kind of analysis. And knowing how much of a cost center they see IT as (as opposed to better corporations that see IT as neutral at worst and revenue generating at best), they will never invest the sums needed. Would impact the C-level bonuses too much in the short term.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Air Canada's CEO calls Aeroplan bid ‘extremely generous’ — but Aimia’s top shareholder disagrees

July 27 2018

https://business.financialpost.com/t...lder-disagrees
AC says it's generous, and it is still planning to have their own loyalty system. They have to say that. If they say they won't have their own system, and will continue to use aeropeso, ae will know AC really needs them.
OTOH ae just announced the plan for ae 2.0, with redemption rate mostly the same, and even will have charter plans. That must have spooked AC. Meanwhile TD and CIBC know they'll have trouble keeping ae visa card customers as they get closer to 2020. So AC/TD/CIBC feel they can still buy ae on the cheap, and stop the bleeding.
ae can always ask for on Aug. 1, then announce good quarterly results on Aug. 2, then ask for a higher price. The coming few days should be interesting.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://ottawacitizen.com/transporta...c-b218a2197ce2

Big shareholder tells Aimia rejecting Air Canada’s offer for Aeroplan would be ‘suicidal’
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Big Shareholder" position is sensible IMO
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Free Agent
Should this happen, fun times ahead as AC passes the buck to itself when an award booking goes sideways...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:51 am

AC stands to gain a lot when they can integrate the ae system back with their own booking system. Also merge the call centres, so the same call centre staff can handle both AC booking and award bookings.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Can I just say how amusing I find it that so many people are calling this "dirty" and "sleazy"? Do people live under a rock? This is how business has always been done between every corporation everywhere in the world. It's not "sleazy". It's smart. Full stop.
roubaolic and YVRStarFlyer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Of course he'd say that

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://ottawacitizen.com/transporta...c-b218a2197ce2

Big shareholder tells Aimia rejecting Air Canada’s offer for Aeroplan would be ‘suicidal’
This is the biggest shareholder of preferred shares. As such he has a huge vested interest in getting Aimia to accept almost any offer. Preferred shares are kind of like debt - there is no "upside" beyond promised fixed dividends if/when the company enjoys very strong results - only downside if the company craters. As such he has no upside if Aimia gets AC and partners to raise their bid to say $400 million but does have downside if the deal is rejected and aeroplan 2.0 doesn't go as planned.

Common shareholders may take a more nuanced approach.
jerry305 and roubaolic like this.

Last edited by The Lev; Jul 30, 2018 at 3:24 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by The Lev
This is the biggest shareholder of preferred shares. As such he has a huge vested interest in getting Aimia to accept almost any offer. Preferred shares are kind of like debt - there is no "upside" beyond promised fixed dividends if the company enjoys very strong results - only downside if the company craters. As such he has no upside if Aimia gets AC and partners to raise their bid to say $400 million but does have downside if the deal is rejected and aeroplan 2.0 doesn't go as planned.

Common shareholders may take a more nuanced approach.
Yep... and the average reader has no clue of the difference... or why one is better than the other / etc etc/ Preferred shareholder could care less if common gets paid, just wants to maximize his return.

Thanks for posting this!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bottom line being that the miles liability is worth much less to AC than it will e to an independent Aeroplan, which will need to pay good money compared with the peanuts they currently pay.

I see no reason to have sympathy for Aeroplan in this game. I really enjoy what AC is doing to the crooked game that AE is. And always was. Way too much smoke and mirrors going on. People and businesses making money on stuff with no real value added to the economy. Just like all these booking engines which suck money in the gap between customers and hotels/airlines; I always book directly whenever I can.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 31, 2018 at 7:14 am Reason: edit off topic
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Can I just say how amusing I find it that so many people are calling this "dirty" and "sleazy"? Do people live under a rock? This is how business has always been done between every corporation everywhere in the world. It's not "sleazy". It's smart. Full stop.
AC sold ae out for money. AC and ae depended on each other and it'll be good business to keep each other running well. AC then announced cutting ties to ae, driving down the share prices, and now come back to offer to buy it back on the cheap. That is not business as usual.
Dirty. Sleezy. Betrayal. Maybe you operate like that. But AC definitely damaged its name and reputation. If AC wants to spin ae out for money again, everyone knows AC is a dirty/sleezy/underhanded partner.
imverge likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
AC sold ae out for money. AC and ae depended on each other and it'll be good business to keep each other running well. AC then announced cutting ties to ae, driving down the share prices, and now come back to offer to buy it back on the cheap. That is not business as usual.
Dirty. Sleezy. Betrayal. Maybe you operate like that. But AC definitely damaged its name and reputation. If AC wants to spin ae out for money again, everyone knows AC is a dirty/sleezy/underhanded partner.
I suspect this is all a case of desperate times calls for desperate measures. AC knows that if they ditch the whole Aeroplan infrastructure and have to build it from scratch for their most frequent flyers they won't have a functional system in place by 2020. Remember it's not just a matter of building a new software suite for their Altitude program, it also means rejiggering their booking, flight management, check in, and other existing software to support this new program. Presumably the Aeroplan suite also handled *A partner redemptions and point collection (i.e. I'm a UA FF and want to credit my AC flight to my program). Considering Aeroplan is used for more than just points collection and redemption (i.e. identification) I doubt AC was willing to roll the dice on this one.

If I was Aeroplan and AC pulled this one on me, I would call their bluff and say, the heck with it why don't we cancel our contract now and you work out the rest... good luck! I suspect AC would be in a way more desperate situation than Aimia would be in!

Safe Travels,

James
imverge likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yscleo
So in your world view, Aimia are an innocent victim in this?

OK, but that's not my view. My read is that Aimia was spun off as a separate business a full 15 years ago. For that entire time, they have known that the contract with AC was up for renewal (and thus, potentially ending) in 2020. Despite this knowledge, in 15 years Aimia failed to diversify their customer base. Now, their primary customer is walking away, and Aimia are in desperate straits as a result.

If Aimia had done a proper job of diversifying and expanding their operations and their customer base, then the loss of a single customer (AC) would not have had a significant impact on their stock price. AC may still have wished to purchase the Aeroplan assets, in order to ease the transition of their (AC) customers from Aimia's loyalty program to AC's loyalty program .... but if Aimia had done a proper job over the past 15 years, then AC would have had to pay a premium for those assets.

The collapse of Aimia's stock price is entirely due to Aimia's lack of execution and business accumen over the past 15 years. Your anger (Dirty, Sleazy, Betrayal) seems like a reasonable set of emotions for how an Aimia shareholder should be feeling about the Aimia board. AC were just a customer who decided to walk away.
roubaolic likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso

If I was Aeroplan and AC pulled this one on me, I would call their bluff and say, the heck with it why don't we cancel our contract now and you work out the rest... good luck! I suspect AC would be in a way more desperate situation than Aimia would be in!
You cannot simply cancel a contract that's in place. Plus, the current deal is such a sweet deal for Aeroplan. Cancelling it right away would likely translate into sudden death.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.