Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canopus27
So in your world view, Aimia are an innocent victim in this?

OK, but that's not my view. My read is that Aimia was spun off as a separate business a full 15 years ago. For that entire time, they have known that the contract with AC was up for renewal (and thus, potentially ending) in 2020. Despite this knowledge, in 15 years Aimia failed to diversify their customer base. Now, their primary customer is walking away, and Aimia are in desperate straits as a result.

If Aimia had done a proper job of diversifying and expanding their operations and their customer base, then the loss of a single customer (AC) would not have had a significant impact on their stock price. AC may still have wished to purchase the Aeroplan assets, in order to ease the transition of their (AC) customers from Aimia's loyalty program to AC's loyalty program .... but if Aimia had done a proper job over the past 15 years, then AC would have had to pay a premium for those assets.

The collapse of Aimia's stock price is entirely due to Aimia's lack of execution and business accumen over the past 15 years. Your anger (Dirty, Sleazy, Betrayal) seems like a reasonable set of emotions for how an Aimia shareholder should be feeling about the Aimia board. AC were just a customer who decided to walk away.
They did diversify, just not the core AC?AE business. They purchased/invested in loyalty companies in Mexico, Spain, England etc.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, but that's not my view. My read is that Aimia was spun off as a separate business a full 15 years ago. For that entire time, they have known that the contract with AC was up for renewal (and thus, potentially ending) in 2020. Despite this knowledge, in 15 years Aimia failed to diversify their customer base. Now, their primary customer is walking away, and Aimia are in desperate straits as a result.
They got an incredibly sweet deal from AC at the time. There is no way that they could have found any other business like it. So they just milked the cow as long as they could. Smart money surely saw this coming and bailed out when things still smelled good and left the suckers behind.

OTOH the deal was so bad for AC apparently that they had no real choice but not to extend.

If Aimia had done a proper job of diversifying and expanding their operations and their customer base, then the loss of a single customer (AC) would not have had a significant impact on their stock price. AC may still have wished to purchase the Aeroplan assets, in order to ease the transition of their (AC) customers from Aimia's loyalty program to AC's loyalty program .... but if Aimia had done a proper job over the past 15 years, then AC would have had to pay a premium for those assets.

The collapse of Aimia's stock price is entirely due to Aimia's lack of execution and business accumen over the past 15 years. Your anger (Dirty, Sleazy, Betrayal) seems like a reasonable set of emotions for how an Aimia shareholder should be feeling about the Aimia board. AC were just a customer who decided to walk away.
Not sure if they could have. At least, not with anything comparable with the AC arrangement.

But I quite agree that there should be no room for anger. Apart, I suppose, for these late shareholders, who either were not up to speed and did not see it coming, or who gambled on a better outcome.

But for us frequent flyers the latest news are actually good news, AC trying to ease the transition and trrying to ensure our miles continue good.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond

I did not say AIM is innocent. Sure AC span off ae 15 years ago. But they are still strong partners. (ae did diversify as others have pointed out)
Cutting off the partnership is one thing. Cutting, driving down the price, then coming to buy on the cheap is another. AC is definitely far from innocent in this whole thing. AC will gain the most in buying back ae in cheap, because AC will then not have to develop their own system. AC/TD/CIBC also have a lot to lose, just like ae. All stand to lose customers/business in the lead up to June 2020, due to the uncertainty of where ae will go, but it's much better now ae announced the plan for ae 2.0. AC/TD/CIBC can avoid the oncoming bloodletting. So the buy offer is good for AC/TD/CIBC, and is still dirty/sleezy/underhanded by AC.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yscleo
I did not say AIM is innocent. Sure AC span off ae 15 years ago. But they are still strong partners. (ae did diversify as others have pointed out)
Cutting off the partnership is one thing. Cutting, driving down the price, then coming to buy on the cheap is another. AC is definitely far from innocent in this whole thing. AC will gain the most in buying back ae in cheap, because AC will then not have to develop their own system. AC/TD/CIBC also have a lot to lose, just like ae. All stand to lose customers/business in the lead up to June 2020, due to the uncertainty of where ae will go, but it's much better now ae announced the plan for ae 2.0. AC/TD/CIBC can avoid the oncoming bloodletting. So the buy offer is good for AC/TD/CIBC, and is still dirty/sleezy/underhanded by AC.
Love your optimism, but to me AE v2.0 indicates that AC are going to hack away at the code and it's too far gone for that to be of any use. At least before this was on the horizon AC were going to have to develop their own system.

And yes, AC IT is terrible, and there's no guarantee they'd do a better job, but at least the AC website doesn't go down for nightly maintenance. Nightly being defined as "Eastern".

Better the devil you know?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
You cannot simply cancel a contract that's in place. Plus, the current deal is such a sweet deal for Aeroplan. Cancelling it right away would likely translate into sudden death.
Contracts have been cancelled before, even unilaterally. Most of the time the question is determining how much damages the aggravating party (i.e. Aimia) would have to pay to make AC whole again. I suspect the amount Aimia would have to pay could put them on shaky financial grounds at best and if Aimia were to go bankrupt I suspect AC would be the first party to scoop of Aeroplan assets from the ensuing fire sale.

The point I'm trying to make is that AC needs Aeroplan at least as much as Aeroplan needs AC. Perhaps Aeroplan could be shopped to other *A partners like Avianca (their CEO is a Board Member on LifeMiles and no doubt Avianca wants to make inroads in North America and Aeroplan could be the way in). This would also put pressure on AC since they'll again be in the position of running an airline without a function FFP.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
They did diversify, just not the core AC?AE business. They purchased/invested in loyalty companies in Mexico, Spain, England etc.
I don't pretend to be an expert in the Aimia portfolio - so if anyone can share more details, that would be grand - but from the little I do know, their diversification efforts were not very successful. For example (from wikipedia): In 2007 it purchased Nectar, the largest loyalty program in the United Kingdom, for £368m and sold it to UK grocer Sainsbury's in 2018 for ₤60m. Woops.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:15 pm

But for us frequent flyers the latest news are actually good news, AC trying to ease the transition and trrying to ensure our miles continue good.
I agree.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I suspect this is all a case of desperate times calls for desperate measures. AC knows that if they ditch the whole Aeroplan infrastructure and have to build it from scratch for their most frequent flyers they won't have a functional system in place by 2020. Remember it's not just a matter of building a new software suite for their Altitude program, it also means rejiggering their booking, flight management, check in, and other existing software to support this new program. Presumably the Aeroplan suite also handled *A partner redemptions and point collection (i.e. I'm a UA FF and want to credit my AC flight to my program). Considering Aeroplan is used for more than just points collection and redemption (i.e. identification) I doubt AC was willing to roll the dice on this one.

If I was Aeroplan and AC pulled this one on me, I would call their bluff and say, the heck with it why don't we cancel our contract now and you work out the rest... good luck! I suspect AC would be in a way more desperate situation than Aimia would be in!

Safe Travels,

James
My understanding is that AC is building their new program regardless of what happens with this proposal. Everything new I've seen come out the door from AC in the past few years has been pretty good. The Altitude website is a dream compared to AC.com or Aeroplan.com.

The Flight Pass app is amazing. It may still be lacking in some features, with a bug here or there, but the overall quality makes it obvious that they no longer want to be the joke they currently are. There are over 4000 posts in aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues.

They're not going to keep the Aeroplan system. They want the database, and they want frequent flyers to not be scared about what happens to miles earned from flights in June 2020.

I can't imagine their contract would have allowed them to diversify much when it involves airlines.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:37 pm

They got an incredibly sweet deal from AC at the time.
No they didn't. Those who bought AP units in the bubbly "income trust" era paid top dollar for the "deal" with AC. AC got the better end of the deal, as AP failed, in its entire existence, to provide a return on the capital invested by its unitholders.

OTOH the deal was so bad for AC apparently that they had no real choice but not to extend.
No, the deal was absolutely fabulous for AC. They were able to obtain billions for an asset that cost them practically nothing to create, and now they get to buy it back for very little. And with all the scamcharges, points spoilage, etc., and the falling cost of air travel, in many cases they're receiving similar to lowest-P or lowest Tango on many redemptions.

My understanding is that AC is building their new program regardless of what happens with this proposal.
...They're not going to keep the Aeroplan system.

That's what management wants investors in AP to believe, but it is highly likely that if they take over AP, it will be business as usual, and nothing new will be built. The "AP system" works just fine and does its job. No need to reinvent the proverbial wheel.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't imagine their contract would have allowed them to diversify much when it involves airlines.
Very interesting point, and I would be much more sympathetic if true. I will observe that Aimia holds a 48.9% interest in, and jointly controls with Grupo Aeromexico - so they are clearly not completely prohibited from working with other airlines.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:52 pm

Very interesting point, and I would be much more sympathetic if true. I will observe that Aimia holds a 48.9% interest in, and jointly controls with Grupo Aeromexico - so they are clearly not completely prohibited from working with other airlines.
Aimia can have other airline partners, AE cannot. At least not till the AC contract ends.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Aimia can have other airline partners, AE cannot. At least not till the AC contract ends.
I don't understand this sentence. Aimia is a company, and they can partner with airline partners. Aeroplan is a program that is (currently) owned by Aimia. I'm not sure what it means to have a program partner with a company.

Besides, the point I'm making is that Aimia should have been diversifying more .... if Aimia had signed up 15 new airline partners (one per year), then the loss of Air Canada (with or without Aeroplan) would have had a much smaller impact on the Aimia valuation overall ... and from that, it would likely have increased the perceived value of the Aeroplan program.

Air Canada are only getting (bidding for) Aeroplan for a steal, because Aimia have allowed themselves to get backed into a corner.
roubaolic likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:12 pm

I don't understand this sentence. Aimia is a company, and they can partner with airline partners. Aeroplan is a program that is (currently) owned by Aimia. I'm not sure what it means to have a program partner with a company.

Besides, the point I'm making is that Aimia should have been diversifying more .... if Aimia had signed up 15 new airline partners (one per year), then the loss of Air Canada (with or without Aeroplan) would have had a much smaller impact on the Aimia valuation overall ... and from that, it would likely have increased the perceived value of the Aeroplan program.

Air Canada are only getting (bidding for) Aeroplan for a steal, because Aimia have allowed themselves to get backed into a corner.
The problem here is that it would appear that Aeroplan was part of Star Alliance. As part of the alliance they generally agree not to allow redemptions and point accrual on Non Star airlines like say BA as that would undermine the premise of the alliance. Consequently Aeroplan could only partner with Star carriers most of whom have their own programs which generate their own significant sums of money. So the question becomes given the presumed agreement with Star Alliance which airline in their right mind would switch to Aeroplan a rewards program that has primarily targetted Canadians?

Again we aren't sure what the agreements were between AC, Aeroplan and Star but I suspect this could be one of the reasons why they weren't so agile.

Safe travels,
.James
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:16 pm

What I meant is that Aimia as a company can setup other loyalty programs and partner with other airlines which they have done like with Aeromexico. But for the AE program which was spun off from AC, the only partner is AC and their Star Alliance network. AE on one hand cannot sign other airline partners till their AC contract is over and by then it will be almost too late which is what we are witnessing. AE has already said that they will have 20 (?) airline partners. They would also have to sign multiple airline partners as opposed to what they had with AC and their star alliance partners. The issue is the AE miles liability. By signing multiple airlines, AE will offer choice but their buying power will be spread.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Regardless of the outcome, it is better to burn off all Aeroplan points.

1) if Aeroplan stays with Amia, then redemption options likely will become much more limited (i.e. the recent email listing only economy class redemptions). Or worse yet, Amia may go belly up.

2) if the points liabilities are pick up by air Canada, then the redemption rates can still be devalued.

3) a devaluation can happen any time between now and June 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.