Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by newfbc
So you think they might try to take over all of Aimia rather than buying the Aeroplan unit?
I don't see why they couldn't put a proposal to shareholders which separates AP from the rest of the business. Its not even clear at this point if AC has been in contact with major Aimia shareholders. In fact, just looking online, the shareholder base is so dispersed that all I can see is that Burgundy Asset Management controls 12.5% or so of the company. Every other disclosed holding is ~1% or less.

It seems that if AE goes back to AC, it might not be a good thing for the long run. You kind of want a strong competitor to AC on this front in Canada, right?

AC runs an airline. AP runs a loyalty business. I'm not sure how they are even remotely competitors.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz

AC runs an airline. AP runs a loyalty business. I'm not sure how they are even remotely competitors.
Currently. But if AC go their own way, they'll be running a loyalty business too. And same if they buy Aimia.

Loyalty business is profitable for airlines. AC would never have sold Aeroplan except for badly needing cash at the time of the bankruptcy.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Just got email from ae. No mention of the AC bid.

Dear xxx

You may have seen or heard several things in the news recently about the future of the Aeroplan program.

I want to reassure you that we are committed to building Canada's best travel loyalty program providing you with exceptional value on flight rewards, increased flexibility and an enhanced experience. This includes the ability to redeem your miles for any seat on any airline (including Air Canada), at any time, to anywhere you want to go come July 2020.

We're proud to announce a comprehensive partnership with Porter that will allow you to earn and redeem Aeroplan Miles with them beginning in July 2020. We're also in active discussions with other major airlines and airline networks, with more exciting announcements to come. We remain committed to maintaining flight reward mileage levels that start at the same amounts as today on members’ most redeemed destinations. For more details about our future plans, click here.

In the meantime, you will continue to earn and redeem with Air Canada and Star Alliance member airlines through June 2020 under our current agreement. As a CIBC Aeroplan cardholder, you will also continue to earn Aeroplan Miles on all purchases with your credit card. Our current agreement with CIBC is in effect until 2024.

I realize that you will have questions about the program between now and 2020. I will continue to provide you with information as we work toward building a better Aeroplan program for you. You can find answers to more questions here.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Rabe
CEO
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
For those of you with a Financial Securities Law background, any observations to share about the pitfalls and dangers of all this public negotiating and private deals relative to how securities regulators view best practice?

thank you in advance
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
It's funny how AP is mentioning that TD/CIBC are still in contract with them till 2024. I've been thinking of cancelling my TD Visa.

Since there's a major change with the business, can AP still hold TD/CIBC to stay?
eracerblue likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
It’s time to truly Dump all my Aeroplan miles ahead of 07/20. I have zero interest in Porter and others.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:34 am
Suspended

Ultimately this mess started with American Airlines Vantage program so long ago.

Ailines in classic strategy dilemma - in all airline interests to stick together and abandon these costly programs, yet unilateral disarmament very costly to sole actors.

or how about just offer reasonable prices and service, and cash discounts for volume purchases - seems to work in many other industries
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Free Agent
or how 'bout airlines focus on flying and leave CC redemption games to the CC companies...
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canolakid
or how 'bout airlines focus on flying and leave CC redemption games to the CC companies...
CC companies are free to have their own points, and of course many do. But it is the deep integration into an airlines inventory system (that is, knowledge of unsellable seats) that makes things good for the airline, the points team (inhouse or like AC/AE) and individual collector.

Otherwise, CC points are just cash refund, but less useful than cash.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:23 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
The emails keep flying in - This just in from CIBC:

Important message for you

Dear Bohemian1,

As your business is important to us, we wanted to share an update with you regarding the Aeroplan® Program.

Last year, Air Canada® announced that Aeroplan, which is owned and operated by Aimia, would no longer be Air Canada’s loyalty program effective June 30, 2020. Aimia and Air Canada have publicly stated that Aeroplan® Miles can continue to be retained and redeemed as usual until June 30, 2020. Plans for Aeroplan Miles redemption between Aimia and Air Canada beyond that date have not been made clear. CIBC pays Aimia for your Aeroplan Miles, but Aimia is responsible for your reward fulfillment.

Our first priority is our clients. In an effort to provide continuity and clarity for our clients, we recently participated in a bid with Air Canada and other interested parties to buy the Aeroplan Program. Aimia has rejected that offer. We will keep you updated on new developments.

In the meantime, you can continue to redeem your existing Aeroplan Miles just as you do now until June 2020. We want to ensure you get the credit card that best meets your needs, and we are here to explain your options, including our fly‑any‑airline Aventura® travel rewards program. Please call us at 1 800 465‑4653 if you have questions. We have posted more information at cibc.com/AimiaUpdate

If you have questions about your Aeroplan membership or the Aeroplan Program, please contact Aimia at 1 800 361‑5373 and visit aeroplan.com for the terms and conditions of the Aeroplan Program.

Sincerely,

Prashant Sharma
Senior Vice‑President, Cards
Personal and Small Business Banking
CIBC
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS
less useful than cash.
Thanks for the laugh

Suppose AP miles more of value if you live in Venezuela and face hyper-inflation between 11,000% and 46,000% for 2018 projected by IMF.

But since AP miles can’t be sold - I’ll take the cash anytime
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by skybluesea

Thanks for the laugh

Suppose AP miles more of value if you live in Venezuela and face hyper-inflation between 11,000% and 46,000% for 2018 projected by IMF.

But since AP miles can’t be sold - I’ll take the cash anytime
Then get a credit card with cashback and forgot about figuring out how to collect and best spend not-quite-cash.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by imverge
When you think about the biggest complaints about Aeroplan it's not their fault.

1) Available seats - Air Canada decides the number of available seats for redemption on each flight.
2) Fuel Surcharges - Air Canada being the ticketing agent is the one that levies and keeps the fuel surcharges.

I'm certain Air Canada has calculated how much they collect in scam-charges from Aeroplan tickets and it must be HUGE.
AC does not keep all the YQ. It's a three-party arrangement between Aeroplan, Air Canada, and the operating airline. That's why it's only charged on certain airlines. If AC could charge it everywhere, and could keep it everywhere, there wouldn't be YQ-free airlines.
skybluesea and craigthemif like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Then get a credit card with cashback and forgot about figuring out how to collect and best spend not-quite-cash.
i do NOT use a CC with AP collection, got off that treadmill decade ago
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If AC could charge it everywhere, and could keep it everywhere, there wouldn't be YQ-free airlines.
So you are less than optimistic about an AC run program?

Maybe wishful thinking, but I am thinking that an AC run program could dispatch of some challenges to save face, and dynamically reallocate more reward seats without having to stick to the arcane 8% rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.