FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Aeroplan issues with award redemption on partner airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1925159-aeroplan-issues-award-redemption-partner-airlines.html)

YYT82 Sep 13, 2018 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 30199051)

Oh. Is that new? I haven’t run into this before and i’ve flown a ton of LX awards. Will Aeroplan break it or do i need to get my jedi mind tricks out?

It's been in place for nine months at least as far as I can remember.

By the way, I noticed this on ET as well. ADD-LHR is nearly impossible to redeem as a standalone segment but if you add another long haul ET segment you can redeem the ADD-LHR segment even in J on A350.

rankourabu Sep 13, 2018 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim (Post 30199051)

Oh. Is that new? I haven’t run into this before and i’ve flown a ton of LX awards. Will Aeroplan break it or do i need to get my jedi mind tricks out?

Its been around for a while, YUL-ZRH alone no, but YUL-ZRH-XXX, sure.

From Toronto, a good way to force the website to show you TATL YUL-ZRH instead of endless garbage AC segments out of YYZ is to start your trip in YTZ or YHM. That forces the system into a YUL connection.

Pseudo Nim Sep 13, 2018 7:22 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 30199086)
Its been around for a while, YUL-ZRH alone no, but YUL-ZRH-XXX, sure.

From Toronto, a good way to force the website to show you TATL YUL-ZRH instead of endless garbage AC segments out of YYZ is to start your trip in YTZ or YHM. That forces the system into a YUL connection.

Good call. Thanks for that.

FlyerTalker70 Sep 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Anyone experiencing issues booking TP? Currently trying to book a EWR -> MAN on TP for Jan 1 in J:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...87ed2de9fe.png

As you can see, the itinerary is available, but when I try booking I get this error:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...88bae23d43.png

Any ideas what's going on? Will try calling Aeroplan to see what the heck is going on as this is totally bookable on UA (albeit for 15,000 more miles in EU J Saver!)

Safe Travels,

James

jerryhung Sep 14, 2018 12:10 am

maybe because YQ is super low? LOL... TAP used to charge high $$$ YQ

​​​​​​​Keep us posted

YYT82 Sep 14, 2018 1:02 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30201923)
Anyone experiencing issues booking TP? Currently trying to book a EWR -> MAN on TP for Jan 1 in J:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...87ed2de9fe.png

As you can see, the itinerary is available, but when I try booking I get this error:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...88bae23d43.png

Any ideas what's going on? Will try calling Aeroplan to see what the heck is going on as this is totally bookable on UA (albeit for 15,000 more miles in EU J Saver!)

Safe Travels,

James

EF does not show award availability (Y or J) for TP LIS-MAN on Jan 2.

FlyerTalker70 Sep 14, 2018 1:16 am

Originally Posted by YYT82 (Post 30202127)

EF does not show award availability (Y or J) for TP LIS-MAN on Jan 2.

Nice catch! You're right, the second segment seems to be a problem. Will trying finding a routing into the UK that works (heading to York anyways so no big deal if going into London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, etc.)

Thanks again,

James

FlyerTalker70 Sep 14, 2018 4:19 am

After spending a few hours with Aeroplan, United and BA and not finding any great award availability options to where I needed to go, I decided to fly D8 from New York's Stewart airport to Edinburgh for around $220 CAD. Decided on this option since it was a non-stop, was close enough to where I'm heading (York) and will be a unique opportunity for me flying this upstart airline on a 737 across the Atlantic! One benefit I can foresee flying out of this airport is that it's easier to get to than a JFK or EWR where you have to make multiple connections (i.e. subway to AirTran for JFK or train to bus for EWR). Instead there is a shuttle bus that will take you from New York's world famous Port Authority bus terminal (5 min walk from hotel) to the airport direct.

Safe Travels,

James

heraclitus Sep 14, 2018 7:03 am

I'm still having a hell of a time trying to find any low YQ options at all from Europe 1 to YWG for July/August 2019.

Eastbound is fine, I've got the LX to CPH which pops up on numerous Sundays, but I have tried dozens of airports on a range of days and literally the only thing I have been able to find is a midweek EDI-EWR-PIT-YYZ-YWG slog on UA which is not that desirable for obvious reasons. Most of the usual carriers I'd look to for this purpose are just not showing up at all in my searches... the SN/UA flights from BRU which were showing up until recently still have not returned.

rankourabu Sep 14, 2018 7:06 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30202458)
flying this upstart airline

Has been around for 25 years+, 17 years as an LCC. Fleet of 150+ planes

ChrisA330 Sep 14, 2018 7:10 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus (Post 30202815)
I'm still having a hell of a time trying to find any low YQ options at all from Europe 1 to YWG for July/August 2019.

Eastbound is fine, I've got the LX to CPH which pops up on numerous Sundays, but I have tried dozens of airports on a range of days and literally the only thing I have been able to find is a midweek EDI-EWR-PIT-YYZ-YWG slog on UA which is not that desirable for obvious reasons. Most of the usual carriers I'd look to for this purpose are just not showing up at all in my searches... the SN/UA flights from BRU which were showing up until recently still have not returned.

YQ ex-Europe is not usually as high as it is ex-NA, so you may want to look at other options. They may not be as bad as you think.

heraclitus Sep 14, 2018 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 30202839)
YQ ex-Europe is not usually as high as it is ex-NA, so you may want to look at other options. They may not be as bad as you think.

Booking for 4 with a return leg on AC/LH makes my total cost around $1800-2000, previously with a return on UA/SN it was showing up around half that. So the carrier for the ex-Europe segment seems to have quite an impact on overall YQ.

Strangely, there is the odd outlier where from certain cities LH return flights trigger fees of about $1650... a bit lower, but still not great.

It's hard to minimize YQ from YWG because so many trips involve AC to a major hub... there are a lot less UA seats to ORD/DEN than there were a few years ago. I'm willing to pay a bit but $2,000 for supposedly "free" tickets is tough to swallow.

ChrisA330 Sep 14, 2018 7:28 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus (Post 30202862)
Booking for 4 with a return leg on AC/LH makes my total cost around $1800-2000, previously with a return on UA/SN it was showing up around half that. So the carrier for the ex-Europe segment seems to have quite an impact on overall YQ.

Strangely, there is the odd outlier where from certain cities LH return flights trigger fees of about $1650... a bit lower, but still not great.

It's hard to minimize YQ from YWG because so many trips involve AC to a major hub... there are a lot less UA seats to ORD/DEN than there were a few years ago. I'm willing to pay a bit but $2,000 for supposedly "free" tickets is tough to swallow.

Are you using stopovers, or is this just a straight return? If it's just a straight return, you could book 2 one ways. YQ on a one way ex-Europe can be as low as $175 on AC. I'm assuming you're looking for J.

canadianhockey91 Sep 14, 2018 8:38 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 30202145)
Nice catch! You're right, the second segment seems to be a problem. Will trying finding a routing into the UK that works (heading to York anyways so no big deal if going into London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, etc.)

Thanks again,

James

Did you manage to book? J/W as above TAP normally has big fuel surcharges. I just looked at they don't seem to be there atm. Gives me a few more options now lol thanks!

heraclitus Sep 14, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 30202885)
Are you using stopovers, or is this just a straight return? If it's just a straight return, you could book 2 one ways. YQ on a one way ex-Europe can be as low as $175 on AC. I'm assuming you're looking for J.

If I could reach through teh interwebz and hug you, I would right now.

I've been around for a while, but I had no idea that YQ on flights to Europe plunges on two one ways vs. a return booking. I went ahead and booked in and out of CPH on two separate tickets... I had thought of using a stopover but I wasn't wed to it, I was fine to drop that idea. Total YQ hundreds of dollars lower vs. a return booking involving the EXACT SAME FLIGHTS.

Thanks for making the stress go away :)