FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Aeroplan issues with award redemption on partner airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1925159-aeroplan-issues-award-redemption-partner-airlines.html)

YYT82 Sep 4, 2018 6:59 pm

Do we know if this is only affecting AE bookings, or is the same issue affecting revenue AC tickets having segments on these airlines? I know for the most part AC does not like LO on TATL tickets, even if WAW is the final destination AC likes to force you to go through FRA/MUC and connect to LH on an AC codeshare. But surely when you buy an AC ticket to go to CTS they would have to put you on an NH flight if you connect via TYO/OSA/NGO. If they are claiming that it's the reservation backend communications issue, it should theoretically affect revenue tickets, too.

heraclitus Sep 5, 2018 7:27 am

Originally Posted by TenForward (Post 30167398)
I don't think it's a HUACA situation as I have tried several agents (while simultaneously looking at the Aeroplan site, United and EF). Each time, the AE agents state that "there is no availability" as opposed to "yes it's available but we cannot currently book it." After reading this thread and calling in the first time, the agent actually tried to feed me the line that there is simply nothing available despite my telling her that there is I class space, but it is apparently a problem on your end. She insisted, asking "where are you seeing this space?" and I asked her to kindly check with her IT folks to see if it is a known issue. Sure enough, she came back and confirmed it is an IT issue with no ETA.

Interestingly, AE has not issued a news release on their site as they did when they had a similar problem in 2017. Again, very suspicious.

Sadly, you are right. The operators are well versed in talking about this, it's clearly a hot topic. The talking points as of right now seem to be along the lines of:
  • major IT problem, we're working on it
  • bookings for certain carriers are being cancelled (so even spoon-feeding specific flights found elsewhere won't work)
  • yes the carriers you want are unavailable, but it's affecting many carriers (i.e. it's not a conspiracy)
  • no timeframe for resolution, "try again in a week or two"

So for the moment we're left twisting in the wind with no commitment on Aeroplan's part other than a vague commitment to work on it. The options are to book high YQ carriers or take your chances on the possibility of the IT problem affecting the low/no YQ carriers somehow being resolved.

ffsim Sep 5, 2018 8:49 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus (Post 30169714)
Sadly, you are right. The operators are well versed in talking about this, it's clearly a hot topic. The talking points as of right now seem to be along the lines of:
  • major IT problem, we're working on it
  • bookings for certain carriers are being cancelled (so even spoon-feeding specific flights found elsewhere won't work)
  • yes the carriers you want are unavailable, but it's affecting many carriers (i.e. it's not a conspiracy)
  • no timeframe for resolution, "try again in a week or two"

So for the moment we're left twisting in the wind with no commitment on Aeroplan's part other than a vague commitment to work on it. The options are to book high YQ carriers or take your chances on the possibility of the IT problem affecting the low/no YQ carriers somehow being resolved.

I admit I haven't been following this thread too closely, but what evidence do we have that bookings are being cancelled? Are you talking about forced bookings made since the latest round of "IT problems" began around 8/22, or are you talking about any existing bookings?

Beltway2A Sep 5, 2018 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 30169979)
I admit I haven't been following this thread too closely, but what evidence do we have that bookings are being cancelled? Are you talking about forced bookings made since the latest round of "IT problems" began around 8/22, or are you talking about any existing bookings?

I called in today and was fed the same line about bookings being cancelled. The rep also seemed to think that Aeroplan was buying paid tickets for those affected. Given that, I'm led to believe there's some internal misinformation conflating the current issue with the LX F debacle a while back.

heraclitus Sep 5, 2018 9:20 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 30169979)

To be clear, nothing was said about existing bookings being cancelled and there is nothing that would suggest that is happening.

What the last agent I spoke to said is that when attempts have been made to book flights on blocked carriers (LX and the like), they get cancelled automatically due to the mysterious "IT problem". Apparently there is no way for AE to convince LX et al that these tickets are legitimate. So she was basically pre-empting any possibility of me spoon-feeding her the flights that I want and that have been consistently available for Sunday departures for months up until this latest round of so-called "IT problems".

So that leaves me here, totally at Aeroplan's mercy to restore access to the full range of carriers again.

ffsim Sep 5, 2018 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 30170024)
I called in today and was fed the same line about bookings being cancelled.

Were they at all more specific about what they meant by "bookings"? I already make it a habit to check the status of my reward bookings every two weeks, but if this is affecting older bookings (eg those made towards the end of 2017) then I'll begrudgingly check daily.

The rep also seemed to think that Aeroplan was buying paid tickets for those affected.

Provided they can't find acceptable reward inventory for affected customers, it's the least they can do.

Given that, I'm led to believe there's some internal misinformation conflating the current issue with the LX F debacle a while back.

That's not hard to believe :)

Edited to add:

Originally Posted by heraclitus (Post 30170086)
To be clear, nothing was said about existing bookings being cancelled and there is nothing that would suggest that is happening.

What the last agent I spoke to said is that when attempts have been made to book flights on blocked carriers (LX and the like), they get cancelled automatically "due to the IT problem". So she was basically pre-empting any possibility of me spoon-feeding her the flights that I want and that have been consistently available for Sunday departures for months up until this latest round of "IT problems".

So that leaves me here, totally at Aeroplan's mercy to restore access to the full range of carriers again.

Thanks for the clarification.

heraclitus Sep 5, 2018 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 30170098)
Were they at all more specific about what they meant by "bookings"? I already make it a habit to check the status of my reward bookings every two weeks, but if this is affecting older bookings (eg those made towards the end of 2017) then I'll begrudgingly check daily.

IMO this would definitely be the prudent thing to do if you have a pre-existing booking on a low/no YQ carrier. With these problems, I'd be checking existing bookings at least once a week to make sure they're still there, unaffected.

Based on what they've told me, it seems to me that this issue is just preventing new bookings.

jc94 Sep 6, 2018 6:31 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus (Post 30170128)
IMO this would definitely be the prudent thing to do if you have a pre-existing booking on a low/no YQ carrier. With these problems, I'd be checking existing bookings at least once a week to make sure they're still there, unaffected.

Based on what they've told me, it seems to me that this issue is just preventing new bookings.

Oh geez. My bookings including a March booked low YQ are still showing ok. And they had better remain so.

TenForward Sep 6, 2018 11:20 am

Update: did my standard check again on EF, United and AE, and sure enough only the LX flights on AE don't show up. Plenty of I space on the LX flight in question.

Call in to AE again, asking about the availability, getting the standard "nothing available" line. I ask her to check whether there is something going on with Swiss because I have reason to believe that there is availability on that flight, and she looks something up and feeds me the same story: technical issue, flights inhibited, no ETA, top priority. She assured me this is nothing to do with the AC/AE tie up, and checked with a Lead a couple of times on what they plan to do. Apparently the issue is that they have inhibited the booking of these airlines (LX, NH, TK and others) because even if AE ticketed it, folks would show up at the airport and the operating carrier would have no record of the reservation.

I am still suspicious because there is nothing posted as a news item on the AE site as there was in 2017 when a similar issue happened:

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...110_2017_05_19

Apparently they have a team of people working on it and it is a top priority. Truth or BS? They do not have any credible way to make things right for those whose plans have been messed up because of availability that has come and gone due to this saga.

heraclitus Sep 6, 2018 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by TenForward (Post 30174615)
Update: did my standard check again on EF, United and AE, and sure enough only the LX flights on AE don't show up. Plenty of I space on the LX flight in question.

Call in to AE again, asking about the availability, getting the standard "nothing available" line. I ask her to check whether there is something going on with Swiss because I have reason to believe that there is availability on that flight, and she looks something up and feeds me the same story: technical issue, flights inhibited, no ETA, top priority. She assured me this is nothing to do with the AC/AE tie up, and checked with a Lead a couple of times on what they plan to do. Apparently the issue is that they have inhibited the booking of these airlines (LX, NH, TK and others) because even if AE ticketed it, folks would show up at the airport and the operating carrier would have no record of the reservation.

I am still suspicious because there is nothing posted as a news item on the AE site as there was in 2017 when a similar issue happened:

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...110_2017_05_19

Apparently they have a team of people working on it and it is a top priority. Truth or BS? They do not have any credible way to make things right for those whose plans have been messed up because of availability that has come and gone due to this saga.

I know it's hearsay, but someone on reddit is reporting success in booking LX after requesting to talk to a supervisor.

I haven't tried it myself yet but if the situation isn't resolved within the next week or so I expect to be trying that approach myself.

imverge Sep 6, 2018 1:04 pm

Apparently the issue is that they have inhibited the booking of these airlines (LX, NH, TK and others) because even if AE ticketed it, folks would show up at the airport and the operating carrier would have no record of the reservation.

Just saw this about SWISS having no record of ticket/reservation when booked with United so Aeroplan story could be true.

AN AWARD TICKET HORROR STORY ON SWISS

Departure day arrived and my clients showed up at the airport. While the husband had no trouble checking in, his wife was told she had no ticket.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....#comment-93051

rankourabu Sep 6, 2018 4:55 pm

So LO of course still blocked....

But plenty of seats on AC WAWYYZ. No thanks.

mabio Sep 7, 2018 1:26 pm

Lost reservations TK

. Apparently the issue is that they have inhibited the booking of these airlines (LX, NH, TK and others) because even if AE ticketed it, folks would show up at the airport and the operating carrier would have no record of the reservation.

We had 2 YUL-IST business booked june 2017 for flight march 2018. TK had lost the reservation. AE had to buy 2 tickets for us on the day of our departure.

and yet AE showing connecting flights to IST on TK from European cities only, no TATL from YUL, seems only low fees TATL are being ''unavailabled''

Beltway2A Sep 7, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mabio (Post 30179587)
We had 2 YUL-IST business booked june 2017 for flight march 2018. TK had lost the reservation. AE had to buy 2 tickets for us on the day of our departure.

Was your reservation showing in TK's manage booking tool prior to departure?

Happy Sep 7, 2018 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mabio (Post 30179587)

Did you bring about a printed itinerary with the ticket numbers et al? Good for you that Aeroplan took care of you at the end. So it bought the same tickets from TK so you could fly as scheduled?

This is very troublesome. So the "lost" reservation has been an issue since 2017. Did that relate to the issues Aeroplan acknowledged and made formal announcement on its site in 2017 (the link of the old announcement was posted a few posts upthread, seems the date was 19.05.2017)? TK was not named in the 4 airlines listed in that announcement though.

We have no such acknowledgement this time.