Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by vernonc
Why are passengers getting differing amounts for same/similar flights ? Based on fare class ? Status ? Dartboard ? Amount of deflation
Some of the above.

Key variables seem to be length of flight (eg. TPAC vs transcon), status, ticket perhaps ( e.g. paid vs award). I don't know the order of importance.

Amount of "deflation" is a whole other conversation.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Some of the above.

Key variables seem to be length of flight (eg. TPAC vs transcon), status, ticket perhaps ( e.g. paid vs award). I don't know the order of importance.

Amount of "deflation" is a whole other conversation.
Pretty much this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You think $1000 has decreased from other offers?
No, since Nov 2017 when i got the 1000 they appear to have.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:39 pm

Sad to hear deflate-gate still a problem, but flying CX/BR is pretty nice too
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Seat 6A on AC 857 LHR-YYZ Tuesday Aug 28. Seat was deflated on Boarding (which makes we wonder if it was written up on the inbound or if anything remedial was done at LHR). IC and one other FA managed to work the magic spell and after 15-20 minutes it was re-inflated. And then 2 hours later deflated again. My seat was then exchanged with "somebody flying on a pass" which embarrassed me somewhat as of course I met the said pass holder as we changed seats. Upon deplaning I noticed that the seat had indeed deflated again.

This should surely have been fixed by now. I fly at least 4 r/t in paid BIZ to Europe per year, and while I fully realize this is minuscule beans as far as AC is concerned, I am reluctant to buy another such ticket from AC until there is firm evidence that they are seriously working on and fixing this issue.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stanbury
Seat 6A on AC 857 LHR-YYZ Tuesday Aug 28. Seat was deflated on Boarding (which makes we wonder if it was written up on the inbound or if anything remedial was done at LHR). IC and one other FA managed to work the magic spell and after 15-20 minutes it was re-inflated. And then 2 hours later deflated again. My seat was then exchanged with "somebody flying on a pass" which embarrassed me somewhat as of course I met the said pass holder as we changed seats. Upon deplaning I noticed that the seat had indeed deflated again.

This should surely have been fixed by now. I fly at least 4 r/t in paid BIZ to Europe per year, and while I fully realize this is minuscule beans as far as AC is concerned, I am reluctant to buy another such ticket from AC until there is firm evidence that they are seriously working on and fixing this issue.
Those "passholders" are non-revs. As per upthread anecdotal evidence as well as my own experiences, the SD will ask a non-rev in a functioning J seat to swap out for a rev pax. I see this often and it has happened often to me. I agree it is awkward to do the swap and often I'd rather not and just keep my seat with some added comforters for butt support.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:37 pm

Another data point: Had deflated back rest on AC803 from ZRH to YVR on Aug 19. In-charge reset the seat using the 'secret' reset button on the aisle and gave me 2 extra mattress pads and a green form. Flight was OK with the extra mattress pads. Received 40,000 aeroplan points last week.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by rd115
Another data point: Had deflated back rest on AC803 from ZRH to YVR on Aug 19. In-charge reset the seat using the 'secret' reset button on the aisle and gave me 2 extra mattress pads and a green form. Flight was OK with the extra mattress pads. Received 40,000 aeroplan points last week.
40k! That's pretty good! I only received 20k last time. Will keep that in mind if this happens to me again...
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Its one thing when this affects FFs, especially if they are travelling on business and have to do something on arrival that is impacted. But then there’s the people who fly AC J as a once in a lifetime experience who don’t know about this.

Agree that this is completely ridiculous now. Surprised media and bloggers haven’t picked it up. Or maybe I missed that they have.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Its one thing when this affects FFs, especially if they are travelling on business and have to do something on arrival that is impacted. But then there’s the people who fly AC J as a once in a lifetime experience who don’t know about this.

Agree that this is completely ridiculous now. Surprised media and bloggers haven’t picked it up. Or maybe I missed that they have.
Not sure about bloggers, but I suspect the likes of CBC believe (likely correctly) that "Lie-flat Beds at 30,000 Feet Not as Comfortable as Advertised" wouldn't generate the same kind of sympathy clickbait as "95-Year Old Cancer-Survivor Separated from Great Grandchild on Portable Ventilator".
wrp96 and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by capedreamer
40k! That's pretty good! I only received 20k last time. Will keep that in mind if this happens to me again...
I have no idea what your situation so I don't want to assume. But for my own - I've been flying paid J the last few years instead of eup etc - AC seems to compensate a lot higher for paid J. Got a 30% off last time for me.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I have no idea what your situation so I don't want to assume. But for my own - I've been flying paid J the last few years instead of eup etc - AC seems to compensate a lot higher for paid J. Got a 30% off last time for me.
This has happened to me a few times now, and I've been offered everything from eCoupons ranging from $50 to $500 in value to 20,000 in AP miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
This has happened to me a few times now, and I've been offered everything from eCoupons ranging from $50 to $500 in value to 20,000 in AP miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’ve received between CA$300 - $1000 eCerts in 2017 and 2018. Mix of Aeroplan J, eUP, and Paid J.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Not sure about bloggers, but I suspect the likes of CBC believe (likely correctly) that "Lie-flat Beds at 30,000 Feet Not as Comfortable as Advertised" wouldn't generate the same kind of sympathy clickbait as "95-Year Old Cancer-Survivor Separated from Great Grandchild on Portable Ventilator".
I guess that’s true, any article like that is going to lead to the sort of comments the SE suspension article led to. Still if one of the bloggers got a deflated seat I think we’d hear about it. But oddly AC doesn’t get used much it seems

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Welcome back. I’ve never even heard of a 30% off, thought they topped out at 25%. I’d probably take the 40k miles unless we panning a major AC J trip with my own $ though.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by jc94

I guess that’s true, any article like that is going to lead to the sort of comments the SE suspension article led to. Still if one of the bloggers got a deflated seat I think we’d hear about it. But oddly AC doesn’t get used much it seems

Welcome back. I’ve never even heard of a 30% off, thought they topped out at 25%. I’d probably take the 40k miles unless we panning a major AC J trip with my own $ though.

Ya, I've got the miles etc, so I'm pretty happy with the 30% off - will use it for a longer paid J for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.