Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Depending on the circumstances/situation/IRROPs/airport/whatever, sometimes the GAs will chirp at passengers milling around waiting to board near last or last, to hurry up and get their BP scanned.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fin 645
This explains why it's impossible to upgrade at an intermediate stop on a flight with a through flight number - even if you missed an upgrade on the first leg and it's R9 on the next leg. The system will not allow a "boarded" passenger to upgrade, AC has apparently made it impossible to do a work around and GAs are so afraid of retribution, they will not do anything - even if a copay is involved.
In my case, they did go on and upgrade a boarded passenger.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
My latest experience... AC105, I was #2 on the upgrade list. #1 on the list cleared before boarding, I did not. My name was removed from the upgrade list after I boarded.

After boarding was complete, there was one no-show for J. Gate agent came onboard and offered me the upgrade.
canopus27 and flyquiet like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: SE100K
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Quite a stark contrast with AC121 YYZ-YVR the other day. The GA proactively told the hopeful elites to board as there was "no chance" of an upgrade. There ended up being 2 empty seats in J...

This happens often. Even when people offer to pay.

I have seen people upgraded on oversold flights and have also asked to upgrade and was told to go back to the gate, where they upgraded me.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea
I consider having to check an APP for current status as upward delegation from service provider to client.

AC needs to become far more pro-active in all manner of customer service exchanges...

Like LH who recently brought me iPad on-board in J enroute from Seoul to Frankfurt, apologizing for not loading my bag in error, and if I would kindly fill in the details on the electronic form, they would deliver my bag directly to me in Rome, so I could by-pass the arrivals baggage hall/service counter which in Rome is a zoo at the best of times. On the form was option for extra LH points or cash rebate for my inconvenience.

Time and again AC drops the ball and ultimately boils down to poor service culture, lack of incentives to staff for getting the job done right the first time, and for CanadianCow, he should never ever have to go through what he did to deal with such a simple request.

footnote: and this year my money is definitely following my view of proper service offering really means...yes, will make SE again just because of my client's desired routings, yet, will do less than half my flying on AC this year...

This because they are a monopoly in Canada. CRTC etc they keep out any form of competition.

So, service can’t be compared.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoga

CRTC etc they keep out any form of competition.
Not sure what the CRTC has to do with AC though?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Not sure what the CRTC has to do with AC though?
it has to do with the Monopolies in Canada so, comparable.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoga

it has to do with the Monopolies in Canada so, comparable.
????I don't think AC is in the entertainment or cell phone business?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Marriot Rewards, Avis Preferred Plus
For the first time I have ever seen, the GA came on board and moved me up to J yesterday. I had seen it on United in the past, but this was a first for AC.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by rage
For the first time I have ever seen, the GA came on board and moved me up to J yesterday. I had seen it on United in the past, but this was a first for AC.
Were you waitlisted for an eUp or was this complimentary?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Marriot Rewards, Avis Preferred Plus
Complimentary.

YYZ to YOW.

Even more remarkable that it was YYZ.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Complimentary.

YYZ to YOW.

Even more remarkable that it was YYZ.
I've seen this quite often (more than I can count with my fingers and toes ).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Ac 7669 went from J8R7Y7 ​ to closed, with J full, in 5 minutes. GA rushed zone 1 aboard (slightly late), half intermingling with an inbound US steam of PAX heading to customs.

At least my jacket has 12B to itself.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RangerNS
...half intermingling with an inbound US steam of PAX heading to customs.
Had that experience earlier today where I was on Team Inbound US Stream... to a layperson like myself, I'm astonished that such a scenario is actually permitted
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Data point: I was 2nd on a list with a full cabin and fully checked in. Decided to go ahead and board because I wanted space for my stuff and YVR-YYZ narrow bodies are notorious for being way overloaded.

SD came and got me and brought me up front when boarding was complete.

It seems YBYL is not at play lately.
ffsim, flyquiet, Bohemian1 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.